2014 Award Nominees

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
Clayton Kershaw had one more start than Chris Sale.

Except he pitched 24.1 more innings.

Had Sale's innings total been around 200 like Kershaw's I'm sure the voters would have given him more consideration. It's hard to win a Cy Young with only 174 innings pitched.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Except he pitched 24.1 more innings.

Had Sale's innings total been around 200 like Kershaw's I'm sure the voters would have given him more consideration. It's hard to win a Cy Young with only 174 innings pitched.

The difference isn't that great. I'd be curious where 198 IP ranks on the list of all time Cy Young award/MVP winners (obviously excluding the couple of closers who won).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
The difference isn't that great. I'd be curious where 198 IP ranks on the list of all time Cy Young award/MVP winners (obviously excluding the couple of closers who won).

According to this list, it looks like the lowest IP total ever for non-reliever, non-strike year, or non-Rick Sutcliffe traded mid-season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)

24 innings is at least 3 starts' worth of innings.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
24 innings is at least 3 starts' worth of innings.

It is less than an inning a start. I am also curious where that line is of too little. Kershaw just became the least amount of innings pitched ever to win a Cy Young (outside of strikes and relievers). How much further down could he go, and still be OK? 190? 180? 175?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
It is less than an inning a start. I am also curious where that line is of too little. Kershaw just became the least amount of innings pitched ever to win a Cy Young (outside of strikes and relievers). How much further down could he go, and still be OK? 190? 180? 175?

Averaging 7 -1/3 IP per start versus 6 - 2/3 per start is pretty significant IMO.

And I think there are several variables as to how few IP a winner must have. It depends how good his season was, how good the competition was, etc. Sale only had 174 IP and still finished 3rd. His WAR was higher than any NL pitcher not named Kershaw.