Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
Yep. We'll see. At least it gives us some insight into how "aggressive" Hanh is planning to be and how important winning is again to Jerry.

I agree. Makes me curious as to who they might attack now. Attempting to trade for Samardzija tells me they are serious about a 3rd starter.

Maybe a Masterson type FA?

Still hoping for Melky as well.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
John Hickey @JHickey3 · 7m 7 minutes ago

Source close to #Athletics says A's will not be trading Jeff Samardzija to #Braves.

Well why the f*** would anyone in Oaklands front office say that?

Makes zero sense.

This read is good for a chuckle now and shows which reporters in Oakland have bad sources...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/athl...n-pitchers.html

Edited by hi8is

I talked to Samardzija's cousin tonight, but he doesn't seem to have any info. All he really gave me a glimpse in to was that Jeff may take an extension for less than market value if it means he gets to stay near home and play for his childhood team. But he's just speculating. Maybe an extension of 5 yrs/$90M works instead of 5 yrs/$105M or something.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
I talked to Samardzija's cousin tonight, but he doesn't seem to have any info. All he really gave me a glimpse in to was that Jeff may take an extension for less than market value if it means he gets to stay near home and play for his childhood team. But he's just speculating. Maybe an extension of 5 yrs/$90M works instead of 5 yrs/$105M or something.

$3M a year is a decent "home town discount", IMO.

With ATL being out of the running, I'll be curious what that does for the Sox.

Semien/Beck/Ravelo for Shark seems fair.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 01:23 AM)
$3M a year is a decent "home town discount", IMO.

With ATL being out of the running, I'll be curious what that does for the Sox.

Semien/Beck/Ravelo for Shark seems fair.

That's funny you mention that because on another site I just said I'd be good with a move of Anderson, Semien, Beck, and Ravelo for Samardzija (plus extension) and Josh Reddick.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 01:38 AM)
It would suck giving up Anderson. But, with that said, most of our prospects traded for proven pitchers (the past decade or so) didn't amount to much of anything outside of Gio Gonzalez IIRC.

This is not a smart school of thought.

That's has nothing to do with how good the prospects were, and a lot of that is on the teams that traded for them and how they developed them.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)
If Semien/Beck/Ravelo get the deal done, Samardjiza would have been on the roster yesterday.

I would have to assume Anderson is the sticking point here, and while I have no faith in any sort of White Sox hitting prospect, I still think it's a mistake to give him up for a one year rental player(at this point at least).

Why would they want Anderson if they have their top prospect of a SS who is going to be ready to come up around the same time as Anderson.

Anderson is a lot to give up for a 1 year rental PLUS other prospects? No thanks.

The A's can keep their 3rd starter who will get paid Ace money in 1 year. I'll make a call to Cinci about thee starters or sign Masterson.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 02:13 AM)
Why would they want Anderson if they have their top prospect of a SS who is going to be ready to come up around the same time as Anderson.

Anderson is a lot to give up for a 1 year rental PLUS other prospects? No thanks.

The A's can keep their 3rd starter who will get paid Ace money in 1 year. I'll make a call to Cinci about thee starters or sign Masterson.

Are you referring to Daniel Robertson?

I would trade Micah Johnson, Chris Beck and cash. I honk that's fair for a one year rental presumably.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Are you referring to Daniel Robertson?

Daniel Robertson is #1 ranked in their system and is 20 yrs old.

Franklin Barreto who was part of a trade a couple of days ago,

slid in the #3 slot and is 18 yrs old.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:39 PM)
Yea I'm okay with trading Anderson too...for lots of young talent. Not 1 year rents and not for mediocre and declining veterans.

I'll pass on another Ken Williams 86 win team with a stripped out farm system.

Trading him for 1 year of Shark to grace the Sox with his greateness is laughable.

That process will keep the sox a mediocre team. Eventually you will need to acquire proven players.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 02:34 AM)
If Semien/Beck/Ravelo get the deal done, Samardjiza would have been on the roster yesterday.

I would have to assume Anderson is the sticking point here, and while I have no faith in any sort of White Sox hitting prospect, I still think it's a mistake to give him up for a one year rental player(at this point at least).

That deal sucks. Regardless of what the A's might want, there are free agents. Why would you give up anything of value for one year of that pitcher? Semien for Samardzija is too much.

To plum the depths of the mind of Billy Beane:

1. Tim Anderson can be moved off shortstop.

2. Anderson could stick at short, and the new A's (formerly Jay's) wunderkind Franklin Barreto can move to second or centerfield as per this fangraphs scouting report

3. If Billy Beane wants to switch horses, he can turn around and peddle Anderson or Barreto for whatever he needs.

To plum the depths of Rick Hahn:

He's just doing his due diligence to find the going rate for Alexei Ramirez. The A's are losing their starting shortstop (Jed Lowrie) to free agency, and the Sox have a bona fide shortstop (Alexei Ramirez) who should bring a king's ransom in return. Talks with the Dodgers seem to start with their outfield prospect Joc Peterson. Talks with the Mets seem to center around pitching prospect Noah Snydergaard. Hahn could open negotiations with Billy Beane this way: "How much can I get for Alexei. How's about Jeff Samardzija and a prospect like say outfielder Dalton Pompey." Beane could then retort: "Allow me to retort. If you want Pompey, I get Tim Anderson." Hahn (keeping his cool) will then respond "Thanks, BB. I'll get back to you at the Winter Meetings."

The Sox finally have a trading chip that some desperate teams want, and Rick Hahn knows it. Why night ask for the moon (or for you Betty Davis fans out there) or at least the stars.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
That process will keep the sox a mediocre team. Eventually you will need to acquire proven players.

yes i agree with you except not at the expense of emptying the farm system. there are

other options such as free agency.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
To plum the depths of the mind of Billy Beane:

1. Tim Anderson can be moved off shortstop.

2. Anderson could stick at short, and the new A's (formerly Jay's) wunderkind Franklin Barreto can move to second or centerfield as per this fangraphs scouting report

3. If Billy Beane wants to switch horses, he can turn around and peddle Anderson or Barreto for whatever he needs.

To plum the depths of Rick Hahn:

He's just doing his due diligence to find the going rate for Alexei Ramirez. The A's are losing their starting shortstop (Jed Lowrie) to free agency, and the Sox have a bona fide shortstop (Alexei Ramirez) who should bring a king's ransom in return. Talks with the Dodgers seem to start with their outfield prospect Joc Peterson. Talks with the Mets seem to center around pitching prospect Noah Snydergaard. Hahn could open negotiations with Billy Beane this way: "How much can I get for Alexei. How's about Jeff Samardzija and a prospect like say outfielder Dalton Pompey." Beane could then retort: "Allow me to retort. If you want Pompey, I get Tim Anderson." Hahn (keeping his cool) will then respond "Thanks, BB. I'll get back to you at the Winter Meetings."

The Sox finally have a trading chip that some desperate teams want, and Rick Hahn knows it. Why night ask for the moon (or for you Betty Davis fans out there) or at least the stars.

i like it. very good. you need to post more.

but the bolded is the main answer.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Dammit! Was hoping to wake up and see this deal be done and for the thread title to be changed to "White Sox acquire Jeff Samardizja"! I blame you guys.

psstt .... um Hahn walked away from the table. to be continue

during the next sets of meeting.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 04:27 AM)
That deal sucks. Regardless of what the A's might want, there are free agents. Why would you give up anything of value for one year of that pitcher? Semien for Samardzija is too much.

You're being ridiculous if you think Semien for Shark is too much and once again I'm a big fan of Marcus.

The one thing people keep skipping over is the fact that Shark is basically going to make nothing this year(relative to top of the rotation starters) and still allows them to improve the team in other areas because they'd still have money to mess around with.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
You're being ridiculous if you think Semien for Shark is too much and once again I'm a big fan of Marcus.

The one thing people keep skipping over is the fact that Shark is basically going to make nothing this year(relative to top of the rotation starters) and still allows them to improve the team in other areas because they'd still have money to mess around with.

that is, if he redo his contract and if i was Shark, i would redo it from next yr till the

end of his new contract.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)

And they'll save on Shark for 1 year. Where does that get us? Heck, they have money now to spend, but seem to be nowhere on FAs.

They need a 3B, but they were nowhere on Pablo, despite the money to do so and he didn't exceed his projections. Melky? Not my cup of tea, but he can hit and he's there. Oh, I know - Upton for 1 year. Whoopee!

If they want to do a real trade, go get Hammels. Heck, he'll only cost us 2 top prospects, which is better than 1 for the great Shark. Trade Alexei - he's not that great a player and teams will overpay for him. (the Sox are so sentimental, they don't want to do that).

But no, they want shortcuts and stay on the cheap.

I also get the sense that some in the Sox have convinced themselves that Shark is an ace - sort of like how they convinced themselves that VAsquez and Edwin Jackson were aces.

If they want to shortcut it, spend real money. Sherzer and Lester are out there. They are much better than Shark.

JR and Williams (presumably under JR's order) want to field a contender year after year a)with no farm system and b) with a $110 million budget. Not happening.

Edited by GreenSox