Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:22 AM)
Let's not overvalue our prospects.

A legit #2 for Danish/Semien is a relative small price to pay.

See Russell, Addison.

Trey isn't nothing, but yeah, don't hate it as much as when I thought it was Hawkins.

It is rough, that is 2 of the more interesting guys in our system. I never got behind Semien, but best of luck to him.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
What Dempster just described is not an ace, it's whatever superlative is used to a player who has a season 2-3x that of what Clayton Kershaw and his measly 7 WAR produced last season. I realize he doesn't know he just suggested that, but saying a single player will add "xxx" amount of wins to your team is just asking for WAR to be used to evaluate your assertion.

This is where WAR loses its value. Does it say that kershaw would only contribute 7 more wins than the #5 starter from the white sox? So when your average 5 starter only goes 5 7nnings and kershaw averages 7, he doesn't save the pen and more wins because better pitchers pitch more often.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
This is where WAR loses its value. Does it say that kershaw would only contribute 7 more wins than the #5 starter from the white sox? So when your average 5 starter only goes 5 7nnings and kershaw averages 7, he doesn't save the pen and more wins because better pitchers pitch more often.

If that #5 pitcher has a 0 WAR all season and is considered replacement value.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
Let's not overvalue our prospects.

A legit #2 for Danish/Semien is a relative small price to pay.

See Russell, Addison.

Russell was a much steeper price. Top 10 prospect in all of baseball for two guys who aren't top 100 prospects, albeit I do believe Semien / Danish both will have major league careers. Still, until we see official you just never know who may / may not get swapped out. All I know is the deal seems very fair if it is that, and if we sign him to an extension, then it moves up in my book. If we let him walk, it will be disappointing because this should be about how we can make ourselves better for our extended window. We are not in a position to give up multiple prospects for a rental unless we have some other major moves out there (I am fine giving up one piece like Semien cause it is replaceable but three quality aspects for a rental would be a bit different).

I will say that if Shark is pitching well and we weren't in contention, Sox maybe presume they could then move him for another piece but I have to hope this is much more about signing him to an extension. If we don't sign him to an extension, we better have another outfielder in mind + we absolutely need a closer.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:24 AM)
Semien, Danish, Trey would be okay with me if we can get an extension. If we don't, I'll be pretty upset.

Agreed. I don't know why I believe that he will sign with us, but man I feel that would be incredibly dumb for us to pursue this guy if it wasn't for longer than 1 year.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
Andy Martino @MartinoNYDN

Not only Are #WhiteSox getting Samardzija, source confirms, but theyre not done making moves. All in.

No surprise there. We still got money to spend and a core in place. Go time.

Edited by Rowand44