Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
I will miss Semien a lot, I really think he is starting 2B material. I seem to be in the minority but that's a steep price for a rental. Bassitt is no great loss, and presumably the third guy won't be either.

If we can extend Samardzjia, great. If not, and I've only seen a few people mention it in this (epic, hilarious, exciting) thread, cutting him loose with the QO attached will ease the pain a little. That comp pick is probably more valuable than Bassitt + #thirdguy.

I do not believe they are going to let Samardzija hit free agency. The Sox typically won't trade for a guy like this without some assurance or knowledge that said player wants to stick around long-term.

A bit late to the party ...

I think this is a solid move for the Sox. We really needed the right handed starter to make sense of the Robertson signing. And now we need another bat -- certainly hope it's Melky -- so Robertson has more games to save.

As for what we gave up, Semien could become a nice player. But let's not forget he had enough games to start last season but couldn't keep us from going back to Gordon Beckham at 2nd, and then the Sox didn't go back to him after Beckham was traded. I think the Sox feel that Micah Johnson is going to become the long-term guy at 2nd, with Sanchez good enough as a bridge until Johnson is ready. Had they kept Semien, he was likely going to replace Leury Garcia as super-sub, getting most of his at bats as a righty platoon with Gillaspie. In other words, a role player. He still might become an everyday guy given the chance, but he wasn't likely to get that chance with the Sox.

Chris Bassitt wasn't cracking our rotation anytime soon.

Who knows who the third guy will be, but if it's a low minors guy, even if he turns into something, the odds for that will be long enough to make it not worth fretting about.

I think the Sox believe they might re-sign Samardzija, and if they can't, get a higher compensation pick than anyone they gave up in the deal, and higher than the 2nd rounder we'll give up to sign Robertson.

Two more holes filled. Now the Sox need a bat to make it all work.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I do not believe they are going to let Samardzija hit free agency. The Sox typically won't trade for a guy like this without some assurance or knowledge that said player wants to stick around long-term.

And it seems like that thought gained a little traction overnight. We'll see.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
But let's not forget he had enough games to start last season but couldn't keep us from going back to Gordon Beckham at 2nd, and then the Sox didn't go back to him after Beckham was traded.

Semien was sent down so as to keep more future team control, if i'm not mistaken (and thus his value was kept higher, as perhaps evidenced yesterday)

He didnt earn a spot but he also wasnt sent down purely for performance reasons.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
Look him up on twitter, backtrack about 3 days. Laugh for a while

Good god.......I'm not sure whether I should thank you for the laugh or be mad at you for leading to me read such BoSox meatheadedness.

Which is why I am extremely confident they will sign him long term. I would be a bit surprised if they didn't.

I wasn't a huge fan of trading a guy like Semien. He had some nice clutch hits last year, which helped me become a fan of his. But I also really want Samardzija in this rotation, and Semien seems like the exact kind of guy that Billy Beane would target. High OBP potential. Bassitt is another nice piece, as well. Given the choice between Noesi and Bassitt, I think I keep Noesi.

I'm happy with the fact that we were able to keep Anderson and a few of our other core prospects.

The discussion in the last few pages as revolved a lot around the question of should the Sox be trying to contend now. Obviously, they are, but are they making the right call? I think you have to consider that the contention window has kind of "prematurely" (if you will) opened. A couple years ago we just had Sale, and while Sale is awesome, if you don't have the right pieces in place, then you cannot contend.

But then you start to consider that we also have Quintana, Abreu and Eaton. 1 more elite player, and 2 more if-not-elite-then-very-good players who are good NOW. If you wait one or two years to go for it, then who knows what kind of position you could be in. Maybe the Sox wait a whole 2 more seasons before deciding to go for it, but as they get to the offseason players who were good now no longer are good, or get injured. Then you get into a situation where you planned to contend, but the pieces were not in place anymore and then Sox fans have to wait even longer for the Sox next contention window.

All that said, I agree with what the Sox are doing. This has been an excellent offseason so far, and they are VERY close to having a solid group. And the more I think about it, should some of the above happen within the next two years, you still are not strapped for cash and you still have prospects to work with one way or the other, all the while having tradeable assets on short term deals. If it doesn't work out, you can trade Alexei, you can trade Laroche, you can presumably trade Duke if he continues to play well, and you can also trade Robertson. Sure, he's on a 4 year deal now, but the man should have no problem remaining an elite relief pitcher for the next 2 years, and if things don't go well for the Sox as far as contending goes, I think teams would love to trade for 2 years of Robertson.

I'm loving it. Kenny was right.. it's getting back to where we can start dreaming and believing again. And it didn't really take long at all. :lol:

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
The amazing thing of these deals were they were that they were announced almost right on top of one another.

Cooper was on the SCORE and he was pretty amped up. He got word at 3 AM.

That is very nearly impossible to pull off in real life.

Agreed. They will want him here for long term. I'd bet money they have a pretty good idea what he wants to sign for, otherwise this deal doesn't happen.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Good god.......I'm not sure whether I should thank you for the laugh or be mad at you for leading to me read such BoSox meatheadedness.

LOL, you are welcome and you are welcome

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Agreed. They will want him here for long term. I'd bet money they have a pretty good idea what he wants to sign for, otherwise this deal doesn't happen.

I agree with you. I think Rick will work hard to get him signed. My guess is they back channeled to get an idea and at least figure they have a 50% chance of doing it, which for the Sox, was worth it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
I like Semien and think he will be a very solid ML player, but you have to give up value to get value and Semien was in third place in the 2B race behind Sanchez and Johnson at this point. They have Saladino to provide value as a UTL and so Semien was more of a luxury for the team.

Semien is better than all those guys right now, and it's not particularly close. He was more than a luxury - I would have bet money he'd be the primary 2B in 2015.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
I agree with you. I think Rick will work hard to get him signed. My guess is they back channeled to get an idea and at least figure they have a 50% chance of doing it, which for the Sox, was worth it.

And if not, the draft pick makes for a softer landing.