Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

Just getting back to Ynoa for a second. Maybe I'm placing a little too much faith into our front office and talent evaluators, but there's no doubt to me that the White Sox were the team who wanted to expand this deal to include Ynoa. It could explain the weeklong or so holdup. The Sox see something that they really like in Ynoa and targeted him, and got their man. He's a good buy low candidate. Good for the Sox. The front office has to be very pleased right now.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
So what's the deal with us trying to extend him? Will it be something that may happen during the regular season?

I don't see it happening. From day one he has been adamant about testing free agency. He's gonna be 30 at the end of next season, it's his one chance for a big contract. Unless the Sox overpay to keep him, I just don't think it will happen.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Just getting back to Ynoa for a second. Maybe I'm placing a little too much faith into our front office and talent evaluators, but there's no doubt to me that the White Sox were the team who wanted to expand this deal to include Ynoa. It could explain the weeklong or so holdup. The Sox see something that they really like in Ynoa and targeted him, and got their man. He's a good buy low candidate. Good for the Sox. The front office has to be very pleased right now.

I think more of what you see is different front office philosophies. The White Sox gave up a lot of good, not great players in this deal while the A's gave up some high end talent but not a ton of it. There are statistics and tools and all kinds of things being evaluated differently here.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the guys the Sox gave up ultimately turn into 2 WAR players each season, which is nice, but can create a bit of a roster crunch, whereas Samardzija is about a 4 WAR player and Ynoa has 2 WAR upside as a reliever and more than that as a starting pitcher.

(I still think Semien is going to be the best of this bunch, but I kind of like the A's so at least he ended up there instead of like the Yankees or something)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
I don't see it happening. From day one he has been adamant about testing free agency. He's gonna be 30 at the end of next season, it's his one chance for a big contract. Unless the Sox overpay to keep him, I just don't think it will happen.

Well, he did just say it is a "dream come true", so maybe 6 years and $100M would sound appealing to him.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
Samardzija is not taking anything less than Homer Bailey's deal which was 6 years $108 million. When it's all said and done it will fall into the 6 year $120 million-ish range.

At the moment, that is probably a little light. If he has a 4.25 ERA in May, he may jump at that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
Overall I love this trade. Samardzija brings us a solid #2 starter. Ynoa's starting days are likely over, but he can be real good in the bullpen.

Semien- trade from depth with Sanchez and Micah

Bassitt- could develop into back end starter, best suited in for bullpen

Phegley- no future with the team with 5 catchers

Ravelo- loved him but no way he was going to play here with Abreu.

well i am a huge fan of these 2, but i can live with it. get us on the

rd for the playoff.

so what is the next move

Great trade, I like the pick up of Ynoa as he has good raw stuff a la Frank Montas. Could end up as a rotation piece or a solid high leverage reliever.

MLB has updated their org prospect rankings:

Chris Bassitt at 19 for the A's

Ynoa not ranked, but was ranked as Oaklands #2 prospect at the end of last season.

" Ynoa's promise has been clouded by injuries, including one that resulted in Tommy John surgery in 2010, that have limited him to just 39 2/3 innings in the four years since he signed. His fastball sits in the low-90s and he gets a good downward angle, thanks to his 6-foot-7 frame. He also throws a sharp curveball and changeup. Despite the problems, Ynoa still has the potential to be a frontline starter."

Hes only thrown a total of 161 innings over his career and looks to have moved to the bullpen this season.

I've finally been unleashed (Thanks Jeremy, whoever you are on here)....

Everything I've wanted to say the past 24 hours has pretty much already been said but I've got this to add...

Something that may be of interest in the acquisition of Ynoa is that the Sox had been connected to his brother Huascar back in July. From what I can see he never signed with anyone so maybe getting his brother here will also help bring him in.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
I've finally been unleashed (Thanks Jeremy, whoever you are on here)....

Everything I've wanted to say the past 24 hours has pretty much already been said but I've got this to add...

Something that may be of interest in the acquisition of Ynoa is that the Sox had been connected to his brother Huascar back in July. From what I can see he never signed with anyone so maybe getting his brother here will also help bring him in.

He signed with the Twins.

http://m.twins.mlb.com/news/article/821544...ct-huascar-ynoa

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Great trade, I like the pick up of Ynoa as he has good raw stuff a la Frank Montas. Could end up as a rotation piece or a solid high leverage reliever.

MLB has updated their org prospect rankings:

Chris Bassitt at 19 for the A's

Ynoa not ranked, but was ranked as Oaklands #2 prospect at the end of last season.

" Ynoa's promise has been clouded by injuries, including one that resulted in Tommy John surgery in 2010, that have limited him to just 39 2/3 innings in the four years since he signed. His fastball sits in the low-90s and he gets a good downward angle, thanks to his 6-foot-7 frame. He also throws a sharp curveball and changeup. Despite the problems, Ynoa still has the potential to be a frontline starter."

Hes only thrown a total of 161 innings over his career and looks to have moved to the bullpen this season.

If Ynoa can have a really strong season I think at his age he could be in the bullpen 2016 with his arm so lively and that would definitely offset the Bassitt loss.

Edited by TheTruth05