Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
Why do people get so worked up about #1/#2/#3? After the first week it doesn't matter.

Also, I just love hearing Rick Hahn talk. Pretty serious mancrush. :wub:

I honestly couldn't care less where they're slotted, it's just another discussion point.

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
Why do people get so worked up about #1/#2/#3? After the first week it doesn't matter.

Also, I just love hearing Rick Hahn talk. Pretty serious mancrush. :wub:

He's seriously awesome. The way he speaks commands attention and respect.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:00 AM)
For us out of town White Sox fans you have to tell us more about his rep in Chicago. Most baseball fans outside of Chicago know Robertson but the Shark is just some guy whose name no one can pronounce. Till the Cubs traded him to Oakland, I thought he was a reliever.

I can not read this whole thread. Tell me about Michael Ynoa please. Who is he? I love all of Hahn's moves, but I can't pretend these guys will pan out. You never know nowadays. But I've always been a free agent guy, Dunn notwithstanding, so bring em in and let em play.

Interesting that Beane thinks Phegs and Semien can play. Could really backfire on the Sox if they are stars.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Sale now steps up as sort of a leader, and read nothing but good things about Laroche, Samardzija and Robertson in the clubhouse.

This is really important and is being greatly underestimated, imo.....we have truly solid veteran leadership on this team now.

Robertson, Mo Rivera's understudy, spending atleast 8 innings a game with young guys just sitting in that bullpen chewing the fat....this will have an impact.

Samardzija and Sale, both fierce competitors, will be the media's elected leaders of this team....they'll set a "fun" tone but will be clear that when it comes to winning, you do what needs to be done.

LaRoche is a notoriously great clubhouse guy and has spent enough time in the league that our younger hitters will listen anytime he's willing to talk (which will be often).

We know that Avi is a fun guy and puts everything he has into his craft....mix that with Abreu, who really impressed me last year with his willingness to become a leader in not only his first year in MLB, but his first year in America.

For more than a decade we had Paul Konerko as our leader......Paulie is a helluva guy and great teammate, but I never took him as the type of player who was a natural born leader. This roster is now full of them and it WILL make a difference.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
This is really important and is being greatly underestimated, imo.....we have truly solid veteran leadership on this team now.

Robertson, Mo Rivera's understudy, spending atleast 8 innings a game with young guys just sitting in that bullpen chewing the fat....this will have an impact.

Samardzija and Sale, both fierce competitors, will be the media's elected leaders of this team....they'll set a "fun" tone but will be clear that when it comes to winning, you do what needs to be done.

LaRoche is a notoriously great clubhouse guy and has spent enough time in the league that our younger hitters will listen anytime he's willing to talk (which will be often).

We know that Avi is a fun guy and puts everything he has into his craft....mix that with Abreu, who really impressed me last year with his willingness to become a leader in not only his first year in MLB, but his first year in America.

For more than a decade we had Paul Konerko as our leader......Paulie is a helluva guy and great teammate, but I never took him as the type of player who was a natural born leader. This roster is now full of them and it WILL make a difference.

Eaton too...sets the tone with his style of play and enthusiasm.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
Speaking of Eaton, he's currently in a twitter argument with a Cubs fan.

He apparently has some beef with Montero based on his Score interview today.

Between that and Shark's hatred of the Cubs front office, the Crosstown series should be a lot of fun this year.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
BTW, for us out-of-town fans, here's the Shark's interview on the Score. To me, he sounds like a man who wants to stay.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/670-the-score-interviews/

I already thought there was a somewhat decent chance he would resign with us, but after you hear the last 40 seconds or so in that interview, I am now CONFIDENT he will resign. For those who don't want to listen, check out this very telling quote......

"I'm just really excited for the future, to have a sound future, and to understand I'm set in a place. There is no more talk about where I'm going to end up or where I'm going to be."

What a great deal for this team! The way I see it:

Bassitt and Ynoa may be a wash as both may end up in the pen,

We didn't need Phegley on this team as he couldn't hit or field,

Ravelo really didn't have room on this team,

but obviously Semien has the most upside out of this group.

And then we either extend Samardzija or collect a draft pick for him.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
I already thought there was a somewhat decent chance he would resign with us, but after you hear the last 40 seconds or so in that interview, I am now CONFIDENT he will resign. For those who don't want to listen, check out this very telling quote......

"I'm just really excited for the future, to have a sound future, and to understand I'm set in a place. There is no more talk about where I'm going to end up or where I'm going to be."

i am already excited about the sox future. even the signing of the Lester from the northsiders

will not damper the sox trade and acquisitions. it is going to be an interesting media yr.