Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Will be interesting to see if the next five years of Semien equal, surpass or are less than the production of the Gordon Beckham era

Will never have Gordo's glove. Will likely be marginally better with the bat.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
Will never have Gordo's glove. Will likely be marginally better with the bat.

I like Marcus a lot more than that. To say he'll only be marginally better...hell, I thought he was significantly better than Gordon in the short time he was on the roster. And a damn good athlete, which I always like to see. I think Beane made a good move and I hope Marcus takes off.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
My buddy from work went to ND and claimed to have pissed on Samardzija's boots and said Samardzija was super cool about it and just insisted my buddy should buy him a drank and they'd call it even. Considering Samardzija is an ND guy, I found it to be BS.

He used to frequent a bar I worked at years ago. "Cool guy" isn't a term I would use about him. Good player though.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)
Maybe he can join Sale in the competition for most "erudite" post game interviews

oh man, can you see the commercial appeal for that. using top

college words in the interview.

it will be great.

https://twitter.com/JoeO670/status/542782825632899072

Tony Kornheiser on White Sox moves: “Jeff Samardzija doesn’t actually win games. His career record is 36-48…Robertson had a bad yr last yr"

Saw PTI yesterday, and of course I shook my head.

On the other hand, it would be nice if Sale got some run support and bullpen support, and stacked five 20-win seasons in a row. And Q and Smarj got 17-18 wins next year. Wins are fun.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)

On the other hand, it would be nice if Sale got some run support and bullpen support, and stacked five 20-win seasons in a row. And Q and Smarj got 17-18 wins next year. Wins are fun.

Kornheiser's a moron and a troll. I can't take him seriously.

You brought that upon yourself.

Athletics nation is hilarious. In their opinion semien is an above avg ss for the next decade, phegley is a promising "mlb ready catcher" (lol ok he is literally the definition of aaaa) and bassitt and ravelo will contribute with long mlb careers.

Get real guys it was a very avg haul with Semien keying the deal. Them talking about phegley is especially lol worthy. Come on man.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
Athletics nation is hilarious. In their opinion semien is an above avg ss for the next decade, phegley is a promising "mlb ready catcher" (lol ok he is literally the definition of aaaa) and bassitt and ravelo will contribute with long mlb careers.

Get real guys it was a very avg haul with Semien keying the deal. Them talking about phegley is especially lol worthy. Come on man.

Besides Phegley none of that is crazy. And I'm sure like any fan board, some people are overly optimistic and some are ridiculously pessimistic about the deal.

Edited by Rowand44

Eh how often does the #10-20 ranked prospect on a bottom 1\3 farm (ravelo) do s***? Bassitt considers himself a reliever and that limits his upside. So does his lack of pure stuff as a starter. Semien whatever he is obs a guy that Sox could regret trading.

But the Phegley stuff? Haven't read a single post on AN with a clue that he is a nothing. His upside is .5 war backup catcher. He has a better chance of being a car salesman at 30 than in MLB. The Sox are thin at catcher and considered him a throw in. Says a lot.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)

Haha! A's fans are talking long term when their GM is known to trade players as they are going into their arbitration years. Its possible that two or three of the traded players will have long careers, just not in an A's uniform, lol.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)

Phegley is one of those guys who strikes as a plausible Beane success story. Hitting in the minors but doesn't seem to be responding well to our coaching staff due to some unspecified "attitude problems", not learning well how to handle pitchers but plausibly correctible with coaching and playing time.

Certainly not a guaranteed success but I totally get why Beane would want him. Wore out his welcome with the White Sox, the White Sox have a lot of catchers including RH catchers so there isn't really room for him, maybe a fresh start and new coaching staff turns thing around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
Phegley is one of those guys who strikes as a plausible Beane success story. Hitting in the minors but doesn't seem to be responding well to our coaching staff due to some unspecified "attitude problems", not learning well how to handle pitchers but plausibly correctible with coaching and playing time.

Certainly not a guaranteed success but I totally get why Beane would want him. Wore out his welcome with the White Sox, the White Sox have a lot of catchers including RH catchers so there isn't really room for him, maybe a fresh start and new coaching staff turns thing around.

What I love though is the people on FB that have commented on the trade saying Phegley is a "stud". I know for sure that a stud he is not. Lol

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)

Mmmmm he's right ... Robertson sucks, note the post

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)

Pretty good article. Hahn is excited about him, as am I.

Like the Jennings trade which will most certainly leave Rodon in the minors to start, I think the Ynoa acquisition will leave Montas continue to starting in the minors rather than the bullpen like KW and Hahn has hinted in the past.

Since the plethora of moves is reminding me so much of 2005, I'm hoping Ynoa takes the roll of bizarro Jenks. Not so much closer, but finds himself a dominating reliever as a sox, and makes his way up in July as a shut down reliever just in time.

A part of me still want the Sox to give Ynoa a shot at starting. He was really good as a starter in 2013 in A ball, and didn't exactly light the world on fire as a reliever last year.

Hate to see a "once in a generation" pitcher end up being a reliever without getting another shot with the new team.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
A part of me still want the Sox to give Ynoa a shot at starting. He was really good as a starter in 2013 in A ball, and didn't exactly light the world on fire as a reliever last year.

Hate to see a "once in a generation" pitcher end up being a reliever without getting another shot with the new team.

I think his arm and shoulder issues are forcing them to convert him. Who knows though, maybe Coop finds a delivery flaw and works it out, maybe he throws one pitch and TJS

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
I think his arm and shoulder issues are forcing them to convert him. Who knows though, maybe Coop finds a delivery flaw and works it out, maybe he throws one pitch and TJS

I thought his arm issues were pre 2013. Wasn't awareness that the conversion to reliever was more than mere ineffectiveness as a starter.