Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
We should expect Samardzija's current trend to continue and he should be a good pitcher for the next 5 years or so. Anything more than a 5 year contract would get hairy (no pun intended...because Samardzija is hairy). He's been a very good pitcher the last 4 years and there's no reason for that to suddenly stop barring injury, which can happen at any time.

Ok, come on, the last 4 years, counting 2011 when he only pitched half a season? I'm trying not to be too dour, but come on man.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
His command has improved with more time as a starter and he has plus stuff and a good makeup. I think the best of the Shark is still to come.

This is the one real key in last year's stats, his walk rate went way down. He sacrificed a fraction of a K's per inning to make it happen, which seems reasonable, but the reason why he's on a trend of improving last year is that his BB/9 was 1/2 of what it was in 2013. He also has trended towards more ground balls every year of his career, which seems like a worthy improvement as well.

That does look like an improvement he has a decent chance of keeping up. Nothing of his numbers otherwise last year scream flukey in any obvious way.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
The Sox didn't give up anything really special; but they shouldn't for 1 year of a player. They also didn't give up a bunch of chumps either. Ravelo is a high OBP guy that will be able to play 1B for some teams (who have power elsewhere). Semien is a nice infielder. Bassit was really improving.

I wouldn't have done this deal for 1 year of Shark. But they've certainly done worse trades.

The pitcher they got back is the type they've been loading up on - high K, but no control.

And another draft pick that has turned into the likes of Beck, Reed, Danish and Adams in recent years at worst case and could end up even higher depending on who signs him if we're unable to work out an extension...?

With Abreu and LaRoche blocking for the next two years, Ravelo deserves an opportunity in another organization to become a starter. Theoretically, we could have held onto him or made him a platoon partner somehow, but it's also a good thing when a team can make trades of their prospects so they can play everyday in other organizations.

That's a nice luxury to have....spare pieces....instead of giving up something from our future core.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
Ok, come on, the last 4 years, counting 2011 when he only pitched half a season? I'm trying not to be too dour, but come on man.

Would you say Chris Sale has been a good pitcher for the last 4 years? I ask because Sale and Samardzija have been on the exact same developmental scale over the last 4 years. Save for Sale getting hurt this year, I think their innings would look almost exactly the same. Sale's better, but Samardzija is still a very, very good pitcher.

5 /$120 for Shark is too much. $25 mil is ace money, and you are talking about a guy some of you are saying isn't better than Q.

Essentially, we'd be paying him 6/$130 for the next 6 years. That would be close to what Lester gets, and Scherzer would end up getting around 7/$175 this year. I'd much rather have a superior pitcher for a little bit more without giving up Semien and a cost controlled young pitcher like Bassitt.

I was thrilled when the initial report last night was Semien, Thompson, and Beck being dealt. Was definitely upset to see Bassitt go. Losing Ravelo hurts, though getting Ynoa back sweetens the deal. After hearing a suggested extension figure now, this deal now becomes less and less of a steal for us and may actually be great value for the A's.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
5 /$120 for Shark is too much. $25 mil is ace money, and you are talking about a guy some of you are saying isn't better than Q.

Essentially, we'd be paying him 6/$130 for the next 6 years. That would be close to what Lester gets, and Scherzer would end up getting around 7/$175 this year. I'd much rather have a superior pitcher for a little bit more without giving up Semien and a cost controlled young pitcher like Bassitt.

I was thrilled when the initial report last night was Semien, Thompson, and Beck being dealt. Was definitely upset to see Bassitt go. Losing Ravelo hurts, though getting Ynoa back sweetens the deal. After hearing a suggested extension figure now, this deal now becomes less and less of a steal for us and may actually be great value for the A's.

5/120 is $20, not $25, a year.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)

Essentially, we'd be paying him 6/$130 for the next 6 years. That would be close to what Lester gets, and Scherzer would end up getting around 7/$175 this year. I'd much rather have a superior pitcher for a little bit more without giving up Semien and a cost controlled young pitcher like Bassitt

No way Lester takes close to 6/$130 million. Baseball inflation being what it is, 5/120 million for Shark is probably right.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
No way Lester takes close to 6/$130 million. Baseball inflation being what it is, 5/120 million for Shark is probably right.

Which is why prospects, nay ML ready prospects with high floors, are valuable commodities. I don't understand the logic of trading for players who are dued for a huge pay raise, in the offseason, when there are free agents out there you can sign without giving up quality assets.

We can have this discussion again when Scherzer Lester and Shark all get their new contracts.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:41 PM)

the cost of doing business. he can ask, whether the sox bite or not, is another story.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)

i totally agree. however, looking at it this way, the sox had to make this move, for many

reason. Jeff has some following, is a good pitcher, can offer him QO, and the advertising

will be a complete knock out. that last thing, the cost to get one of the Ace's is going to

be crazy. i bet even money, Scherzer and his agent will start at 27 mil+

I wish I could be 100% thrilled. Bassitt would be more cost effective. The bullpen was a big problem and they still need more offense production. I will make a prediction John Danks will have an above average year and win 14. They'll be strong is SP but bullpen and defense will be suspect. They still are weak fundamentally. They'll be more like the Tigers.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
Yeah and 2+2= 3

For us out of town White Sox fans you have to tell us more about his rep in Chicago. Most baseball fans outside of Chicago know Robertson but the Shark is just some guy whose name no one can pronounce. Till the Cubs traded him to Oakland, I thought he was a reliever.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
I'd be surprised if Samardzija wasn't already extended before ST started. I think he's waiting for Scherzer and Lester to sign since their contracts will raise the pay scale for starting pitchers. Just my opinion but I have little doubt about Samardzija signing an extension.

I know if I were Samardzija I would be extatic about being sandwiched between Sale and Q in the starting rotation.

Jeff said on radio today he is going to wait and see how the Sox organization is before talking contract. I doubt he signs in ST!