Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

With Lester getting 6 years. I think that's what it's going to take Shark to get resigned.

6/110-120 is something I could see happening to get a deal done.

He's going to be 30 when the season starts. I'm not certain that I want to give him a 6 year deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
He's going to be 30 when the season starts. I'm not certain that I want to give him a 6 year deal.

I understand that but Lester is going to be 31 when the season starts and he got 6 years. Scherzer could get 7-8. So you know Samardzija will ask 6-7. I don't think 5 years happens.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:24 AM)
I already thought there was a somewhat decent chance he would resign with us, but after you hear the last 40 seconds or so in that interview, I am now CONFIDENT he will resign. For those who don't want to listen, check out this very telling quote......

"I'm just really excited for the future, to have a sound future, and to understand I'm set in a place. There is no more talk about where I'm going to end up or where I'm going to be."

My question on the last line. Not real sold on him referring to being here long term (as of yet anyway) . Here's why. A couple of other ways to put a spin on what he said as far as "There is no more talk about where I'm going to end up or where I'm going to be.". Could that also mean that he is not referring to long term, but may be referring to the constant where-abouts that he may be playing THIS YEAR with all of the trade speculations and Sooooo many teams wanting him?. That's why i am not so sure that he was referring to long term as to the issues of the here and now is Finally over with. ORRR could it also be that now that the trade thing is done, that until free agency hits next year, that he doesn't want to talk aboiut it until then..............and thats why there will be no more talk about it. Thoughts?

I wouldn't go past four years with Samardzija, but maybe JR will change his mind...depending on how this season goes financially.

They did give Danks five years and they've been willing with Buerhle in the past to go 3-4, but five would be a shocker for a pitcher in his 30's (for the White Sox organization).

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
My question on the last line. Not real sold on him referring to being here long term (as of yet anyway) . Here's why. A couple of other ways to put a spin on what he said as far as "There is no more talk about where I'm going to end up or where I'm going to be.". Could that also mean that he is not referring to long term, but may be referring to the constant where-abouts that he may be playing THIS YEAR with all of the trade speculations and Sooooo many teams wanting him?. That's why i am not so sure that he was referring to long term as to the issues of the here and now is Finally over with. ORRR could it also be that now that the trade thing is done, that until free agency hits next year, that he doesn't want to talk aboiut it until then..............and thats why there will be no more talk about it. Thoughts?

i was refraining from that thought. i was even afraid of mentioning it

on another thread. but unless he gets a knockout deal, he will go

fa rt.

but next fa sp are pretty stack.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
i was refraining from that thought. i was even afraid of mentioning it

on another thread. but unless he gets a knockout deal, he will go

fa rt.

but next fa sp are pretty stack.

The middle schooler part of me just laughed.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
What a great deal for this team! The way I see it:

Bassitt and Ynoa may be a wash as both may end up in the pen,

We didn't need Phegley on this team as he couldn't hit or field,

Ravelo really didn't have room on this team,

but obviously Semien has the most upside out of this group.

And then we either extend Samardzija or collect a draft pick for him.

Ravelo would have helped the Sox in a year or two at the most. LaRoche gone after 2016. Ravelo was ticketed for AAA this year and probably major league ready in 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a solid big league career. I still like the trade, just wish we could have kept him.

Do we get two draft picks if Shark goes away? One from Oakland and one compensation pick?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Ravelo would have helped the Sox in a year or two at the most. LaRoche gone after 2016. Ravelo was ticketed for AAA this year and probably major league ready in 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a solid big league career. I still like the trade, just wish we could have kept him.

Do we get two draft picks if Shark goes away? One from Oakland and one compensation pick?

Where would he play?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)

not if he doesn't improve in his hitting.

I think Hahn made a great move getting Samardzija for what he had to give up. That being said I'm just looking at this as a 1 year rental for the time being. I think Samardzija as much as he loves the city and all, first and foremost wants to get paid top dollar. MLB is the only sport without a salary cap and players seem to take every advantage of it. I'm not trying to p!ss on anyone's parade here but this guy has said for a while now he intends to test the UFA market and I believe he will do just that. Not confident he'll be in a Sox uni in 2016 but I trust Hahn in making this team competitive the next few years with or without Samardzija.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
I think Hahn made a great move getting Samardzija for what he had to give up. That being said I'm just looking at this as a 1 year rental for the time being. I think Samardzija as much as he loves the city and all, first and foremost wants to get paid top dollar. MLB is the only sport without a salary cap and players seem to take every advantage of it. I'm not trying to p!ss on anyone's parade here but this guy has said for a while now he intends to test the UFA market and I believe he will do just that. Not confident he'll be in a Sox uni in 2016 but I trust Hahn in making this team competitive the next few years with or without Samardzija.

the cost to get this trade done was steep. however even if its for 1 yr,

QD him and lets see what the future looks at. i just want to have

the sox regain their strut, being the best in chi.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)

Ravelo will be ready in 2015 or 2016, if he is ever ready. LaRoche is around through 2016, and by then, numerous other prospects will make their way through the system. Barnum for one, and also remember lots of failed prospects at other positions become 1B's. Ravelo was blocked.

If the Sox make a QO to Shark after the season and he turns it down, the Sox get one comp pick, not from anyone but created out of thin air.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
the cost to get this trade done was steep. however even if its for 1 yr,

QD him and lets see what the future looks at. i just want to have

the sox regain their strut, being the best in chi.

It was steep but not even close to as steep as what the A's paid the Cubs to get Samardzija. I think if the A's really would've wanted Anderson or Rodon in the deal, Hahn would've balked and looked elsewhere. I think this trade is win for the Sox on so many fronts. It makes them much more competitive this year for starters. If Samardzija does well here and likes it, it could help entice him to sign long term with the Sox even though I don't think the Sox will get much of a discount. If he signs elsewhere the Sox will take the draft pick for him. Worst case if they stink this year, then they can move him in July and get some prospects for him.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
It was steep but not even close to as steep as what the A's paid the Cubs to get Samardzija. I think if the A's really would've wanted Anderson or Rodon in the deal, Hahn would've balked and looked elsewhere. I think this trade is win for the Sox on so many fronts. It makes them much more competitive this year for starters. If Samardzija does well here and likes it, it could help entice him to sign long term with the Sox even though I don't think the Sox will get much of a discount. If he signs elsewhere the Sox will take the draft pick for him. Worst case if they stink this year, then they can move him in July and get some prospects for him.

i like it. do not get me wrong, what you wrote i like.

i am looking at if JS balks at the QD, and b/c of the FA SP next

yr, sure let him come back again on a 1 yr QD. if not, then sign

a contract with the sox and if not, sign elsewhere.

there is still some strong pitchers next yr.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
Ravelo will be ready in 2015 or 2016, if he is ever ready. LaRoche is around through 2016, and by then, numerous other prospects will make their way through the system. Barnum for one, and also remember lots of failed prospects at other positions become 1B's. Ravelo was blocked.

If the Sox make a QO to Shark after the season and he turns it down, the Sox get one comp pick, not from anyone but created out of thin air.

I'm curious to know, when you say 1 comp pick created out of thin air. How do they decide who picks first in the comp picks? I guess I always thought it would be in the order from whoever signed your player.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
I didn't pay much attention to Samardzija when he was on the Northside, but he is incredibly likable in interviews. Smart, insightful guy.

Thats nice to hear and hopefully a good clubhouse kinda guy. Might need another guy to poke Gilli every so often...lol