Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

We have four intriguing arms now that might affect the 2nd half race in Ynoa, Sanburn, Montas and, of course, Rodon. You could also add Webb and Nate Jones, who many were counting on at this point a year ago.

Compared to where we were then, that's a veritable bounty of potential riches in the bullpen.

Obviously, at least Rodon is expected to start, but it's nice to know we might not have to make a desperation trade at the deadline and can hopefully rely on internal options instead of overpaying.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
We have four intriguing arms now that might affect the 2nd half race in Ynoa, Sanburn, Montas and, of course, Rodon. You could also add Webb and Nate Jones, who many were counting on at this point a year ago.

Compared to where we were then, that's a veritable bounty of potential riches in the bullpen.

Obviously, at least Rodon is expected to start, but it's nice to know we might not have to make a desperation trade at the deadline and can hopefully rely on internal options instead of overpaying.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ben Brewster continue to quickly move through the minors so there'a another name to throw out there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
I just want to point out that there were whole articles written about Cooper spending time in camp for the Fall Instructs this year. He actually was quoted talking about being excited to see guys like Brennan, Trexler, and other semi-obscure guys. He clearly spends some time with the minor leaguers, even if only very occasionally.

The bigger effect is indirect I'm sure - Cooper exerting his philosophy down through the roving and minor league pitching coaches, and receiving reports back up. But there is clearly at least some direct work too.

I know he spends time there. He talks to them as well. However, he doesn't get alot of time to really work with them on mechanics and issues. He just doesn't have the time to dolearn their mechanics and make changes. This is why they have the minor league instructors. This is what the discussion was about.

The press conference introducing Samardzija, Robertson and Melky will be carried live on MLB network today . 3:30PM EST . Figure your time from that :)

Probably better coverage of it on CSN Chicago also streaming live on their website.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)

Awesome

“I walked back into the restaurant and said, ‘We got a closer, too,'” Hahn recalled. “I think there was a tremendous smile and sigh of relief on Robin (Ventura’s) face more than anyone at that table.”

If you saw the White Sox bullpen last season, you’ll understand.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/samard...im-feeling-home

Samardzija might be a bigger Sox fan than some of us.

If he's that big of a Sox fan, do you think that makes him sign an extension to stay here long term? I heard he wants to be a free agent, but maybe Hahn can woo him to stay.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:22 PM)
If he's that big of a Sox fan, do you think that makes him sign an extension to stay here long term? I heard he wants to be a free agent, but maybe Hahn can woo him to stay.

The gist I get is that there could be some sort of hometown discount based on the market price, but ultimately he's going to get paid, and I think it could easily be a 9 figure contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Ha, I have a picture with Ron KIttle from when I was a kid too.

It's funny the year I was born '83, Kittle won ROY, my dad put that in my baby book. Ha. Lotta Sox fans formed around that time.

Jeff is a huge Sox fan jeez he was pulling names only most die hards would know.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
I've been pretty clear I like him more than Flowers but I don't think either is a starter on a contender

He's just so awful defensively at catcher, aside from a strong arm. And the org had obviously soured on him, with repeated issues coming up about his game prep and attitude. I'd rather have Flowers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
He's just so awful defensively at catcher, aside from a strong arm. And the org had obviously soured on him, with repeated issues coming up about his game prep and attitude. I'd rather have Flowers.

Phegley is a project. That's the best way to put it.

I think the A's will try and diversify Phegley's game, putting him in LF and RF and maybe getting some work at 1B too. He's shown he can hit AAA pitching at the very least, so maybe he can figure out his game and they can work his bat into the lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a decent major leaguer, but his future was no longer with the Sox organization.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
The gist I get is that there could be some sort of hometown discount based on the market price, but ultimately he's going to get paid, and I think it could easily be a 9 figure contract.

So like 6 years $105 million? 5 years $90 million? Something like that or more? I know he wanted Homer Bailey money before. 6 years $105 million.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
So like 6 years $105 million? 5 years $90 million? Something like that or more? I know he wanted Homer Bailey money before. 6 years $105 million.

6 years and something between 100 and 120 million makes sense. It would still represent a discount in terms of both total dollars and years, but it would be a nice deal for Samardjiza.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)

I think he can get $20 mill a year if he wants. I'd guess 5/$100, but perhaps there's some sort of discount.

I would be very good with 6/$105 if they could rip up his contract this year and start the 6-year deal now.