Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
So like 6 years $105 million? 5 years $90 million? Something like that or more? I know he wanted Homer Bailey money before. 6 years $105 million.

I think he wanted Homer Bailey money last off-season before his strong year. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox have to pony up 20 million annual to get it done. I'm thinking in the range of 5-100ish.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I think he wanted Homer Bailey money last off-season before his strong year. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox have to pony up 20 million annual to get it done. I'm thinking in the range of 5-100ish.

You can sign him to the 6/$105 this year, which is $17.5 mill, but pay him $10 mill this year in the last year of arbitration and then it becomes a 5/$95 extension which is damn near $20 mill, and he'd probably be able to feed his family.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
You can sign him to the 6/$105 this year, which is $17.5 mill, but pay him $10 mill this year in the last year of arbitration and then it becomes a 5/$95 extension which is damn near $20 mill, and he'd probably be able to feed his family.

Assuming he has another good season and is a consensus #2 starter (borderline #1 for some teams), I think he is leaving a lot of money on the table; to date, I don't think that's an option for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Hearing his press conference and subsequent interviews shot my confidence level up MUCH higher than it had been.

This.

He sounds like a man who just got his childhood dream (which he did) and never wants to leave.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
This.

He sounds like a man who just got his childhood dream (which he did) and never wants to leave.

Unless the bidding goes way crazy, which is a possibility but I doubt, I think Shark will take a little less to stay where, ultimately, he sounds like he wants to be.

There are three numbers in play:

1) What he can get on the open market

2) What he would take to stay with the Sox

3) What the Sox would offer to keep him

I think it's safe to say that 1 >> 3. The question is how close 2 is to 3. It's pretty easy to argue that if you're already financially set for life and you really love living in Chicago, you can turn down $10M to stay there. It's also pretty easy to argue that $10M is a s***load of money no matter how much you make and worth moving for.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Unless the bidding goes way crazy, which is a possibility but I doubt, I think Shark will take a little less to stay where, ultimately, he sounds like he wants to be.

The White Sox need to lock him up before he hits free agency. If he hits the open market, he's gone.

Rock said something a while back about 5/$120. Maybe he was speculating or maybe had some inside info. But, that might be what he would get on the open market (at least in regards to money per year). I'd like to see something like 5/$100 or 5/$105.

Overall though, I'd agree that the Sox have a very good chance to re-sign him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
I don't think it's likely at all that we re-sign Samardzija.

Agreed. He was just saying what he is supposed to say, he is holding out for free agency. Especially when Scherzer gets his mega-bucks deal eventually, he will want to wait.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
There is a legitimate question as to whether spending 100-120 million on Samardzija is the best use of Sox assets.

Just have to see how things develop this season (2b, 3b, c) and with the highly rated pitching prospects.

I'd rather spend it on him than Shields. Honestly not too many #2 starter types are available and in your lap like Shark currently is. Get it done Hahn.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
I'd rather spend it on him than Shields. Honestly not too many #2 starter types are available and in your lap like Shark currently is. Get it done Hahn.

No question. If Sox want to spend big money on a pitcher, he's the choice.

What if Rodon shows he's ready in 2015? Is it wise to go with 4 top of the rotation starters? Or should you trade one and firm up weaknesses elsewhere and live with 3 top of the rotation starters? Or not sign Samardizja and use the $20 million to firm up other spots.

More information will be available in 6 months. And if TWO of the top pitching prospects show readiness, that will give the Sox a lot of weaponry.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)

What if Rodon shows he's ready in 2015? Is it wise to go with 4 top of the rotation starters? Or should you trade one and firm up weaknesses elsewhere and live with 3 top of the rotation starters? Or not sign Samardizja and use the $20 million to firm up other spots.

More information will be available in 6 months. And if TWO of the top pitching prospects show readiness, that will give the Sox a lot of weaponry.

Depending on the price, I don't mind signing Samardzija now, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to wait either. There is no rush to sign him, but for real, if the price is right and you do find that there are other holes to shore up and Rodon is great, you can still move either Samardzija or Quintana and get very good value in return.

When 3 are dirt cheap, yes. Yes it is.

The key is, as some have mentioned, that we have Q, Sale, and Rodon (hopefully pans out) at 3 VERY CHEAP quality pitchers. That along with Abreu's very cheap contract for his value allows the Sox to open up the pocket book and sign a Shark. Danks will be off the books next year. Just look at Shark replacing him + MLB inflation in contracts over the past 5 years.

Sign Shark and in reality this team is set up in the OF, 1st, 2nd, SS, DH, SP (Rodon, Montas, Shark, Q, Sale) and mostly a BP all for next year at not too much higher of a payroll.

I think if this year comes close to panning out (i.e a WC spot, playoffs, or close to both) that you will see Jerry and Hahn get extra aggressive next offseason to push the payroll higher and/or trade a few prospects to plug the 3B or C position.

I believe this is a the start of a real aggressive 3 year push for the Sox.

I can only think of what 29 other teams would say to this question...

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)

I get what you're saying. I think the answer depends on context. For example, where else does the team need shored up? Is it a buyer's or seller's market for pitching? I think there are certainly scenarios where it makes sense to "punt" your 4 and 5 spots if it allows you, in some way, to acquire a bigger upgrade elsewhere.

However, a run saved is a run scored, so if you have to do something less than ideal to turn pitching into hitting, you can certainly be better off just being unbalanced. Depends on stuff.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
While his contract will always be a real bargain (provided he stays healthy), Sale's days of being "dirt cheap" are going to be behind him following this season.

Still only 9.15 in 2016, 12 in 2017, and 12.5 in 2018. For a start of his caliber? Dirt cheap.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
I get what you're saying. I think the answer depends on context. For example, where else does the team need shored up? Is it a buyer's or seller's market for pitching? I think there are certainly scenarios where it makes sense to "punt" your 4 and 5 spots if it allows you, in some way, to acquire a bigger upgrade elsewhere.

However, a run saved is a run scored, so if you have to do something less than ideal to turn pitching into hitting, you can certainly be better off just being unbalanced. Depends on stuff.

Given that you could have 4 front of the rotation guys for a fraction of the front of the rotation cost, I absolutely don't think you move away from that and instead use the financial resources you have on other areas of the ballclub.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
Given that you could have 4 front of the rotation guys for a fraction of the front of the rotation cost, I absolutely don't think you move away from that and instead use the financial resources you have on other areas of the ballclub.

Right, but that "financial cost-saving" component has increased trade value as well. In our situation, I think it likely makes most sense to keep the group together, but if a glaring hole opens up (maybe Avi Garcia busts or something) and a team is willing to pay up for a pitcher, it may make sense down the road to shuffle the assets.