Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
I agree with everything you said, even about Abreu. he was the most single handed

reason what got everybody excited again in the sox.

2014 will be the new platform and to build form there. the sox can make the playoff

next yr and I am sure next yr the fans will be there in the stands. if the sox makes the

right smart moves. not the quick fix one. I just hope the sox don't waste the farm as

KW has done or did.

That's why I'm so against the idea of trading for Shark. IMO, some folks are just high on the local boy but I can assure you the local boy is not interested in giving a local discount. He will go to FA and accept the highest contract. Shark is NOT a pitcher the Sox should even inquire about.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
That's why I'm so against the idea of trading for Shark. IMO, some folks are just high on the local boy but I can assure you the local boy is not interested in giving a local discount. He will go to FA and accept the highest contract. Shark is NOT a pitcher the Sox should even inquire about.

If he was willing to take a discount, he would still be a Cub. That's why they traded him, they weren't ready to pay him top dollar long term

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
If he was willing to take a discount, he would still be a Cub. That's why they traded him, they weren't ready to pay him top dollar long term

Exactly, he wants to get paid. By the time Samardzija starts the 2016 season with his shiny new contract, he will be 31 years old and his contract will likely be 5 or 6 years. FA after 2015 will be his first, last, only and best chance to mamimize a long term deal, there's no way he passes up that opportunity. Giving up a top prospect or two for a one year rental is about the dumbest idea I've heard in relation to the White Sox so far this off season.

Edited by StRoostifer

If the Sox traded for Shark I'd have even more confidence in him extending than Heyward. Unless he absolutely blows I see no reason why he wouldn't resign.

Were not a team like the Tigers who if they rented a player wouldn't have the money to resign them because their payroll is so big, were talking about a big market team who currently has like a 50M dollar payroll.

Hell with Shark bein a Sox fan I wouldn't be surprised if they can convince him to take a deal like Sale and Q have where they're clearly underpaid. If he makes it to the open market there's no chance of that happening.

Wait until he's a free agent and sign him then. Save the prospects that we don't have in abundance. Sox have a marginal chance at the division with or without Shark. Oakland made a terrible deal trading for him and they were contenders (their Lester deal was far superior, despite the hand-wringing over the overrated Cespedes). This would be inane like the Edwin Jackson deal was.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Wait until he's a free agent and sign him then. Save the prospects that we don't have in abundance. Sox have a marginal chance at the division with or without Shark. Oakland made a terrible deal trading for him and they were contenders (their Lester deal was far superior, despite the hand-wringing over the overrated Cespedes). This would be inane like the Edwin Jackson deal was.

The thing there is there's a good chance he's traded and the possibly extended.

If he's a player the Sox truly have eyes on I'd have no problem trading for him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
The thing there is there's a good chance he's traded and the possibly extended.

If he's a player the Sox truly have eyes on I'd have no problem trading for him.

Really? Trade and sign? How many of these have happened? I's like the "flip". That never happens, but it will happen with the Sox.

And so what if someone does sign him. There are other FA pitchers out there. What is so great about this guy (other than some weird cub psyche that so many have).

And then there's his value. Top prospect? Did Price yield a top prospect?

Oak gave up an elite prospect for him, and that price should be cut in half. Further, he wasn't worth an elite prospect to begin with -Beane misread the market badly. So if you figure what he was worth - 1 top prospect and divide it by half, you're left with a decent prospect. At that price, I don't care - sure, trade for him. But for one our best prospects? Ridiculous.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
What I don't understand is people still rip KW for gutting the farm system when he traded forgetble players for productive ones, now they want to trade the prospects they have been raving about for perhaps one yer of Heyward or Samardjia.

Well that's not me. I'm keeping my top prospects. I'm not trading my top prospects unless it's for Stanton.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 02:07 AM)
Did you even read the article? Do you miss the obvious clues including the thread your posting in(not to mention the one below it)? I can see you just like to ignore information. Theo said the same thing about the Cubs weeks ago...they are meeting with Russell Martin next week but that's probably all bull crap right? Maybe do some actual research...heck a 5 second google search found that article.

The quote is "Surely you can't be serious" btw

I wish we had a facepalm icon. I could use a few right now.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
Airplane!!!

As for Hahn's quote. What else is he supposed to say? " no, we won't be able to compete next year, sorry.". Its PR bulls*** for right now. On paper, no team with that many holes is a legit contender next year. This does not mean the Sox cannot become contenders but the Sox have a rebuilding team, with a rebuilding farm, with plenty of money to spend on limited quality FA's and not much of a history of spending on multiple big contracts in FA. For right now, the sox being 2015 contenders does not add up although I think they will fill a few holes and continue improving in 2015.

*Ding Ding Ding* We've got a winner!

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
*Ding Ding Ding* We've got a winner!

Airplane or Hahn? :P

I want the Sox to contend as much as anyone but for the reasons I listed, I'm not going to allow myself to get my hopes up only to have them come crashing down. It would feel too much like being a cub fan.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)

Signing him as a free agent still means we are giving up a prospect to get him. There is a pretty good chance our 1st pick is unprotected next year, and he will get a qualifying offer for sure.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
Really? Trade and sign? How many of these have happened? I's like the "flip". That never happens, but it will happen with the Sox.

And so what if someone does sign him. There are other FA pitchers out there. What is so great about this guy (other than some weird cub psyche that so many have).

And then there's his value. Top prospect? Did Price yield a top prospect?

Oak gave up an elite prospect for him, and that price should be cut in half. Further, he wasn't worth an elite prospect to begin with -Beane misread the market badly. So if you figure what he was worth - 1 top prospect and divide it by half, you're left with a decent prospect. At that price, I don't care - sure, trade for him. But for one our best prospects? Ridiculous.

I'm sure it's not much of a rarity to trade and extend a player.

What's so great about him? How about the fact that he ranked 15th in WAR last year.

I'd give up a guy like Semien+. Johnson, Anderson, Rodon, Montas, Adams and maybe Danish are the only untouchables in the minors. A package of anyone else I'm game for.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)

What's so great about him? How about the fact that he ranked 15th in WAR last year.

I'd give up a guy like Semien+. Johnson, Anderson, Rodon, Montas, Adams and maybe Danish are the only untouchables in the minors. A package of anyone else I'm game for.

I wouldn't give up rodon no way rodon going be better then shark.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)

If Shark wouldn't give the Cubs a hometown discount, then he's not going to give us one either, at least of any significance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
What I don't understand is people still rip KW for gutting the farm system when he traded forgetble players for productive ones, now they want to trade the prospects they have been raving about for perhaps one yer of Heyward or Samardjia.

Because its the only way to fill a roster with this many major holes if we also are thinking about signing any high-priced free agents.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I wouldn't give up rodon no way rodon going be better then shark.

I don't think that's ever been suggested, I said he was untouchable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Because its the only way to fill a roster with this many major holes if we also are thinking about signing any high-priced free agents.

Just to nitpick here but in the VMart thread when I suggested plugging Anderson in at SS 2 years from now you called that rebuilding. I of course agree with it...I don't neccesarily agree that we have "many" major holes. It could be argued that the only true hole is DH and a late inning reliever. I think we can "contend" with Tank in LF and a rotation that will soon be Sale-Q-Rodon-Noesi-Danks. There's certainly room for upgrades at 3B/SP/C and yet another RP to go on top of said hole in the pen but I wouldn't call them major holes.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
I don't think that's ever been suggested, I said he was untouchable.

Just to nitpick here but in the VMart thread when I suggested plugging Anderson in at SS 2 years from now you called that rebuilding. I of course agree with it...I don't neccesarily agree that we have "many" major holes. It could be argued that the only true hole is DH and a late inning reliever. I think we can "contend" with Tank in LF and a rotation that will soon be Sale-Q-Rodon-Noesi-Danks. There's certainly room for upgrades at 3B/SP/C and yet another RP to go on top of said hole in the pen but I wouldn't call them major holes.

First, on the bolded, Oh god no. Totally disagree.

Second, Rodon has never pitched more than 130 innings in a season, and that was at the college level. I'm ok with someone saying we're going to work him into the rotation this season, but there is absolutely no way you're going to count on him to be a mid-rotation starter. That is a very, very weak rotation when your #3 guy might be exhausted by 150 big league innings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
First, on the bolded, Oh god no. Totally disagree.

Second, Rodon has never pitched more than 130 innings in a season, and that was at the college level. I'm ok with someone saying we're going to work him into the rotation this season, but there is absolutely no way you're going to count on him to be a mid-rotation starter. That is a very, very weak rotation when your #3 guy might be exhausted by 150 big league innings.

Why can't the White Sox contend with Tank in LF? Did 2012 never happen?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Why can't the White Sox contend with Tank in LF? Did 2012 never happen?

He's actually gotten progressively worse every single year since then, with last year being hands down his worst season, both offensively and defensively. He shouldn't even be offered arbitration with how bad he performed last year.

And 2012 was not a successful season either. They won 85 games, which was where Cleveland finished last year, well outside of the playoffs. Like you just said, selling out the entire minor leagues in order to get to 85 wins isn't a very good move.They also only got to that point through quality defense...which as we all have seen has absolutely vanished with this team the subsequent 2 years, leaving us needing even better offense and pitching just to get to that same point.