Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
Wasn't Swisher? AJ was a cancer towards the end. So yeah.

i don't know of AJ, he was more like, i hate to play against him, but its nice

to have on your team.

Swisher, yeah he was. but not as bad. there was that 3b as well, can't remember his name.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
I think that sounds pretty reasonable. It's a lot of money, but Samardzija would be getting that kind of money (maybe more) in free agency after 2015. If the Sox extend him now, there are no fears of this being only a rental.

in FA, he gets another year for sure, maybe 2.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Yikes, a bit rich for my blood. Not much room for upside in that deal.

For any FA, or in this case it would be keeping a good pitcher off the FA market, there will be an overpay, Sox have a little more flexiblity since they have good Q and Sale deals and Rodon under control

all this will take for the sox to really take off, that first winning streak. mark my words.

it is going to be absolute bedlam. the SP, the hitting. it is going to be crazy.

make me want to warm up to Yoenis Céspedes and him in the outfiled.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Who's this other guy, Michael Ynoa? He "looks" like a right handed Chris Sale. ( 6'7' 209)

Once a big time prospect. He signed for a then record $4.25 million signing bonus as an amateur. Shoulder injuries have derailed him somewhat, but he still possesses nice stuff and is a worthy gamble. Likely going to project as a reliever at this point but he can't be ruled out as a starter yet.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Who's this other guy, Michael Ynoa? He "looks" like a right handed Chris Sale. ( 6'7' 209)

He was once a top 20 prospect way back in 2010. He was called the best Latin prospect since King Felix. Since then he's been a nice mixture of hurt and bad since then. He's still only 23 though.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
Once a big time prospect. He signed for a then record $4.25 million signing bonus as an amateur. Shoulder injuries have derailed him somewhat, but he still possesses nice stuff and is a worthy gamble. Likely going to project as a reliever at this point but he can't be ruled out as a starter yet.

you are prob right, doesn't he have 2 plus pitches ??

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)

Is he related to the Ynoa we tried to sign this summer out of Latin America?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
5 years 120 million sound ok?

I don't mind that price, my only hang up is making sure that Sale and Q are assured they will be taken care of when their contracts are up. If you got those guys locked up with Rodon on the way, that's an excellent rotation for a long time time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Someone with a better baseball mind tell me if we should expect Samardzija's current trend to continue and for him to be one of baseball's best #2 starters the next couple seasons.

His command has improved with more time as a starter and he has plus stuff and a good makeup. I think the best of the Shark is still to come.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
Someone with a better baseball mind tell me if we should expect Samardzija's current trend to continue and for him to be one of baseball's best #2 starters the next couple seasons.

We should expect Samardzija's current trend to continue and he should be a good pitcher for the next 5 years or so. Anything more than a 5 year contract would get hairy (no pun intended...because Samardzija is hairy). He's been a very good pitcher the last 4 years and there's no reason for that to suddenly stop barring injury, which can happen at any time.