Kenny Williams

SCCWS

Obviously the media is constantly running around looking for quotes/rumors at the winter meetings. So far the lack of movement probably has some frustrated already. But I have seen several quotes from Kenny Williams so I guess he is attending. I am wondering what his role is. I hope Hahn has 100% control of the roster and is not still reliant on KW.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 07:32 AM)
Obviously the media is constantly running around looking for quotes/rumors at the winter meetings. So far the lack of movement probably has some frustrated already. But I have seen several quotes from Kenny Williams so I guess he is attending. I am wondering what his role is. I hope Hahn has 100% control of the roster and is not still reliant on KW.

He still is Hahn's boss. I think he is trying to be Theo and have Hahn be Jed.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
He is the Executive Vice President of the White Sox, that is his specific role. He has a lot of input on this team, just like Hahn

I wonder if he went to scope out Yoan??? the last time he scope out a Cuban player

sox got Jose A.

I don't agree with the Theo comparison at all. Hahn has been the one thrust into the spotlight since getting the gm title and probably for good reason, he is the one making the moves. I've never gotten the impression that KW is over bearing on Hahn whatsoever. Our direction completely changing shows that. Compare that to the Cubs where I don't think they know who Jed Hoyer is.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
I don't agree with the Theo comparison at all. Hahn has been the one thrust into the spotlight since getting the gm title and probably for good reason, he is the one making the moves. I've never gotten the impression that KW is over bearing on Hahn whatsoever. Our direction completely changing shows that. Compare that to the Cubs where I don't think they know who Jed Hoyer is.

The White Sox biggest acquisition during Hahn's time as a GM, and largest contract ever doled out by JR, Hahn had nothing to do with or at least, very little. KW scouted, gave his reccommendation, and JR ran with it, raising the number KW gave to go up to for his signature.

KW is still the boss. He probably has given Hahn more responsibilities, but I would guess he still can overrule. I doubt Hahn can trump KW.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
I'd agree with this. Kenny has the juice up there. At the least, he does have veto power.

I am sure he has veto power, as does Jerry and the board. I think the difference is that Rick Hahn is doing most of the day to day work of shaking the trees, seeing who is out there, finding out what the interest is in Sox players, deciding who to target etc. Kenny is probably more on the big picture part of the business, as well as the guy that Rick comes to when something is close.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
I am sure he has veto power, as does Jerry and the board. I think the difference is that Rick Hahn is doing most of the day to day work of shaking the trees, seeing who is out there, finding out what the interest is in Sox players, deciding who to target etc. Kenny is probably more on the big picture part of the business, as well as the guy that Rick comes to when something is close.

AHEM

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Whereas Rick Hahn acts as the day to day manager, Kenny Williams is more of the big picture manager. Co-managers.

(Robin Ventura is the assitant to the Regional Manager, although he will tell you he is the Assistant Regional Manager, which is incorrect)

While I may have been trying to make a reference to The Office, I clearly said this first. So there.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
I don't think there are many guys in baseball who have the lines of communication Kenny has with other teams. Hahn may be the guy who says he wants Adam Eaton or gets the big picture on Jose Abreu from scouts, bubut Kenny is ultimately facilitating those deals.

That's at least the way I see it.

i totally agree with you, that was why i wrote the KW should be there

to observed what he see in Yoan. i alway question KW ability to recognize

talent, however after he saw Jose and talking to JR, told him to go for it.

i am now looking on KW in a better light, now i trust his opinion.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
Oh for the days when Bill Veeck sat up shop in the hotel lobby "Open for Business."

i remember that well. i was thinking about that the other day.Veeck to the

sox, i would be all for naming the field after him. if it wasn't for him, chi

would not have the sox.

don't get me wrong, JR has been great as a owner for the sox, but Veeck.

no comparing.

i always thought the sox should have a little area where some pictures of that

event should be posted.

Edited by LDF

The circumstances of Kenny's "promotion" - that is, his stated desire to be less involved in day-to-day management - leads me to believe his role isn't comparable to Epstein/Friedman. I think he has a lot of sway, but Hahn is the GM. My guess is that when push comes to shove, which may never occur, KW defers to Hahn (even if he might technically possess some sort of veto power).

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
The circumstances of Kenny's "promotion" - that is, his stated desire to be less involved in day-to-day management - leads me to believe his role isn't comparable to Epstein/Friedman. I think he has a lot of sway, but Hahn is the GM. My guess is that when push comes to shove, which may never occur, KW defers to Hahn (even if he might technically possess some sort of veto power).

I have never gotten the impression that Kenny and Rick aren't of the same mind set when it comes to the direction of the club, so I am not even sure if a "veto" exists, if it would be all of that important anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
I have never gotten the impression that Kenny and Rick aren't of the same mind set when it comes to the direction of the club, so I am not even sure if a "veto" exists, if it would be all of that important anyway.

I would assume that Kenny needs to sign off the direction of the team (Does Hahn want to tear it down? Rebuild? Etc) but Hahn handles the day to day activities. I'd be interested in knowing if any/all trades have to be reviewed with Williams or if they have a natural collaboration where Hahn does the leg work and they meet internally before making a final call. The White Sox give the impression that Hahn is responsible and makes the final decisions so that would mean Williams may be dealing with bigger picture items, not who is playing for the White Sox on the field necessarily.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
I would assume that Kenny needs to sign off the direction of the team (Does Hahn want to tear it down? Rebuild? Etc) but Hahn handles the day to day activities. I'd be interested in knowing if any/all trades have to be reviewed with Williams or if they have a natural collaboration where Hahn does the leg work and they meet internally before making a final call. The White Sox give the impression that Hahn is responsible and makes the final decisions so that would mean Williams may be dealing with bigger picture items, not who is playing for the White Sox on the field necessarily.

That makes sense to me. But again, I get the impression that there isn't a lot of distance between Hahn and Williams points of view.