Jason Castro

peppers312

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 10:17 PM)
The Astros DFA'd Carlos Corporan. I would take him as the Sox back-up catcher over anyone else in the system.

i really don't know anything about him. i see he has a little power there. how

is his D???

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
i really don't know anything about him. i see he has a little power there. how

is his D???

StatCorner shows his pitch framing ability to be above average. He ranked 21st overall in 2012, 26th in 2013, and 19th in 2014—pretty consistent and pretty good.

Baseball Prospectus rates him about the same: 23rd in 2012, 18th in 2013, 17th in 2014.

That's about 20th out of about 120 overall.

From Baseball-reference.com:

He's caught 33 would-be base stealers in 146 attempts: 22.6%—not so good. That stat is hard to analyze because the pitchers have a lot to do with stolen bases, too.

He's a switch swinger. Calling him a hitter might be a tad optimistic. He stirkes out about 25% of the time.

If Corporan became the White Sox backup catcher, it wouldn't be the worst signing in the world.

On a side note, I just don't get the Astros. They just picked the Cub's pocket, sending a decent lead-off hitter (a CF who's better off playing in LF) to get a stop-gap 3B in Valbuena and a lottery ticket in Dan Straily. Then to fill the gap in CF, they picked up a real CF in Colby Rasmus. Rasmus might not have the on-base skills of Fowler, but he is certain to hit more homers in the Astro's juice box.

Meanwhile, they screwed the pooch on this past draft. Not signing Brady Aiken in the first round cost them their 5th round pick, Jacob Nix, and their 21st round pick Mac Marshall, highly regarded high-school pitchers. The outline of the story is in SI.

We, as Sox fans, like to chastise Jerry Reinsdorf for the draft mistakes (Lance Broadway, Kyle McCulloch, Jared Mitchell, et.al.), the international disaster (Doug Wilder), and the "excess of loyalty" shown to franchise favorites (Ozzie, Robin, Paulie, etc.). But the White Sox, to my knowledge, have never messed with three kids lives like the Astros did as a result of their 2014 draft.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Why do you think he's a good defender?

I've seen Fowler play hundreds of games, literally, and he has really great range, very good jump, pretty good arm - certainly better than our guy. Hey, he is a very good CF. Not a polished base stealer - don't know why- but first to third or first to home He's as good as it gets. Might have an attitude problem, which I think is why rockettes got rid of him. Not worth $10 Large yet, but he can play CF very well. He's one of those guys who came to the big leagues one year too soon.