Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

With the Russell Martin signing, this could open up the Melky Cabrera sweepstakes quite a bit as Toronto might not have much money to play with.

Cabrera just turned 30 who is a switch hitter, little above average defensively, doesn't strikeout but doesn't walk that much either. Definitely a contact type guy.

What do you guys think? Yes or no and what would you give him years/money wise.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Markakis?

Would we pay 4 years and $40-44 million to DeAza?

Because offensively, that's the kind of production we're looking at. Markakis clearly has better fundamentals and fewer brain cramps and is beloved by Showalter (supposedly), but he's not going to be the difference-maker he was projected to be five years ago.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd choose Cabrera, but not a big fan of either acquisition at these price points.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Would we pay 4 years and $40-44 million to DeAza?

Because offensively, that's the kind of production we're looking at. Markakis clearly has better fundamentals and fewer brain cramps and is beloved by Showalter (supposedly), but he's not going to be the difference-maker he was projected to be five years ago.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd choose Cabrera, but not a big fan of either acquisition at these price points.

If you don't value superior defense, striking out much less, or walking much more, then yes, Markakis is exactly like De Aza.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
If you don't value superior defense, striking out much less, or walking much more, then yes, Markakis is exactly like De Aza.

Markakis is getting paid like a perennial All-Star when all the numbers point to his being a complementary player, especially going forward into his 30's.

Someone lined them (DeAza and Markakis) up in terms of offensive statistics since 2011 and they profile pretty similarly.

There's not anything close to a consensus about Markakis' defense. Reputation....is being trumped by computer analysis/advanced stats.

A marginal upgrade over a player we didn't want to pay anything isn't worth $10-11 million per year.

Cabrera, if he plays to his potential in a non-contract year and doesn't get dinged by the PEDs police, he's more likely to repeat his numbers. That said, if you look at the entire body of his career, incredibly inconsistent. I'm not sure JR will authorize it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
I would agree, and would go one step further and say that I wouldn't even hate 3 at $16. I wouldn't really want to go over that. To me, the 4th year is always a much bigger deal than the AAV.

And someone's surely going to go higher than 3 years/$48.

Heyward's off the market.

Which leaves the Sox with declining options as the money chases the remaining quality bats...of course Rasmus, Hunter, Aoki, Morse, Butler, Morales, etc., will be out there longer, and it's too early to know how the "over-valuation" of Cuddyer will play into the offseason, if at all.

As this continues to play out, the Dodgers and White Sox working together will make more and more sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
I would agree, and would go one step further and say that I wouldn't even hate 3 at $16. I wouldn't really want to go over that.

To me, the 4th year is always a much bigger deal than the AAV.

I'd go 3/51, if we're playing that game. But yes, the 4th year is a much bigger deal than the amount per year.

And I really like the idea of Melky. I want this to happen.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
Just so it's said, I want neither him nor the fake company he created to try to cover up his juicing to receive money from the white sox, but y'all knew that anyway so I'm shutting up.

And that's probably how JR feels as well.

Bringing in reportedly questionable character guys like Belle, AJ or Everett is one thing. Awarding Cabrera with one of the 3-4 or so biggest contracts on the team "as an outsider" is quite another.

Of course, they did give Wil Cordero a shot. Jimenez as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
And that's probably how JR feels as well.

Bringing in reportedly questionable character guys like Belle, AJ or Everett is one thing. Awarding Cabrera with one of the 3-4 or so biggest contracts on the team "as an outsider" is quite another.

Of course, they did give Wil Cordero a shot. Jimenez as well.

Jose Canseco.

Edited by woods of ypres

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
Jose Canseco.

Forgot about him. That was pretty much a lost year already with Thomas down and the 14-29 start.

And, of course, the steroids/PEDs ugly scandal hadn't yet colored the face of the game...it was whispered about, but not a deal-breaker for players or the HOF.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
I'd go 3/51, if we're playing that game. But yes, the 4th year is a much bigger deal than the amount per year.

And I really like the idea of Melky. I want this to happen.

I've been saying Melky since the VMart signing calling him VMart -lite . Guy could get 5/$65-70M considering his age so be ready to pony that up. 3 would be best ,4 maybe ,5 and we're out of it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside