Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

The first wave of steroid users destroyed the record books mystique of baseball. That was the massive damage.

The later era guys are just drugging themselves to stay ahead of the competition like NFL guys do. NFL is not broken. NFL players are just seen as machines, and now MLB is to be enjoyed in the same way.

Players are still cheating, have always cheated, will continue to cheat forever. Now we all just know what it is and it's on the table.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Yeah, but then the "WTF was his 2013 season" worry hits, where he put up a .682 OPS right after the suspension and didn't last a full season. With how his career has gone, I could easily convince myself that was the year he was clean & that last year he went back on something to try to get another contract.

But anyway, still a move they had to make.

His 2013 season was due to injuries. he had knee injury and then a tumor on the spine. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...from-lower-back

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:19 AM)
Very disappointed.

Some are just impossible to please. I don't know if I could be a sports fan if I never could get any satisfaction even after an off season like this.

Just look at how many teams where their GM's didn't pull the trigger on much of anything? I will take my chances with Hahn's aggressiveness any day.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
I'm less concerned with the fact that he once cheated than that I don't feel especially reassured that he isn't/isn't trying to anymore.

I also have no faith that he did not cheat after that and I belive that his numbers that got him this contract might be inflated. I have no faith in this man's character at all. Does everyone not recall the deviousness he orchestrated with his agent on making a fake product webpage? Only when caught in that too, did he come clean.

He is a false person, and I will not be put in a position of rooting for him. I am just trying to decide if it makes sense to root for 24 men on the team and root against 1. How is that going to be enjoyable for me? Thanks, Hahn.

QUOTE (MAX @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
I also have no faith that he did not cheat after that and I belive that his numbers that got him this contract might be inflated. I have no faith in this man's character at all. Does everyone not recall the deviousness he orchestrated with his agent on making a fake product webpage? Only when caught in that too, did he come clean.

He is a false person, and I will not be put in a position of rooting for him. I am just trying to decide if it makes sense to root for 24 men on the team and root against 1. How is that going to be enjoyable for me? Thanks, Hahn.

You can root for the team and boo when he comes to the plate. That's the great part about being a fan, no rules.

I don't think I've ever rooted for a team where I've liked every single player, except as a kid when you don't know any bettr.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (MAX @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)

Then you shouldn't have been rooting for this team the last several years with Flowers and Quintana on the roster.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
You can root for the team and boo when he comes to the plate. That's the great part about being a fan, no rules.

I don't think I've ever rooted for a team where I've liked every single player, except as a kid when you don't know any bettr.

Appreciate the reply. I'm feeling a little better about this move.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
MAX, have you rooted for teams with pitchers who doctor the ball? Cheating is a long time part of our game's honored past.

Not to my knowledge. In fact I was banned here once because I despise maddux and let my feelings go a bit too far. Slathering his hand in spit before so many pitches made me sick to my stomach.

I feel less angry about a player that does PEDs in the minor leagues trying to make it to the majors than a major league player trying to get a big contract. The player is younger and people make mistakes when they are young. That is why Flowers and Q do not bother me as much as ARod, Manny Ramirez, or even Melky. I am very proud of the Chicago White Sox stance on steroids over the years. I am proud to be a fan of Frank Thomas. I have always admired the way KW seemed to go after clean players. Maybe there is a clause in Melky's contract that addresses PEDS. I will root for Melky unless he does PEDS again. I will not let that ruin this great off season.

Lol, some people here are mind blowing.

Nieto was caught juicing too, no one b****es about that, that I have seen. Flowers and Quintana have been caught "cheating" too, but I don't see anyone renouncing their fandom over that.

I find it very odd to pick and choose where to draw the line of "cheater".

I guess in my mind, cheating to make it to the big leagues is a much lesser offense than cheating to make many more millions.

Its akin to the motivation for a crime being taken into account while determining what crime is being charged, or during sentencing.

Then the sox go and reward the guy with millions who cheated to make millions. Is there no hypocrisy there? am i nuts?

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
I guess in my mind, cheating to make it to the big leagues is a much lesser offense than cheating to make many more millions.

Its akin to the motivation for a crime being taken into account while determining what crime is being charged, or during sentencing.

Then the sox go and reward the guy who cheated to make millions. Is there no hypocrisy there? am i nuts?

It's pretty outrageous that these guys make as much as they do period. I just think "cheating" is cheating. Not sure where a line can honestly be drawn, especially since a minor leaguer makes less than a Major Leaguer. They all want to make more.

QUOTE (MAX @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)

Then the sox go and reward the guy with millions who cheated to make millions. Is there no hypocrisy there? am i nuts?

Nuts. No. Calling out hypocrisy but quantifying your own rules for cheating is...... hypocritical and makes your argument a bit ridiculous, and yeah whiny.

Just not sure with your inconsistent stance on cheating how you could even follow amateur or professional sports.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Nuts. No. Calling out hypocrisy but quantifying your own rules for cheating is...... hypocritical and makes your argument a bit ridiculous, and yeah whiny.

Just not sure with your inconsistent stance on cheating how you could even follow amateur or professional sports.

No, both are cheating. I never said otherwise. There are different degrees of cheating though I believe. The world is not black and white, its shades of grey. And on that cheating spectrum, what melky did to me is as close to black as one can get.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
It's pretty outrageous that these guys make as much as they do period. I just think "cheating" is cheating. Not sure where a line can honestly be drawn, especially since a minor leaguer makes less than a Major Leaguer. They all want to make more.

Is stealing signs cheating?

Is spitting on the ball cheating?

Is putting vasoline on the bill of your cap cheating?

Is claiming your safe when you know you were out cheating?

Is turning on ventilation fans to blow in from LF cheating?

Or are we only talking about degrees of cheating?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)

Cheating is cheating. To Quantify it but money is weird to me.

It's not as wrong for a player that is making it to the majors over a guy in a FA year? Why?

Most people forget that sports are entertainment. I want to win, don't care about other player's pasts.

Each and every player has a calculated risk involved.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)

Exactly. Does anyone here despise AJ for "cheating" his way to first in the 2005 ALCS or for JD taking first after faking that a pitch had hit him in G2 of the 2005 World Series?

People say they are sad today. There's a whole lot going on in the world to really be sad about. The Sox signing Melky is not one of them. Sports is a form of entertainment. Everyday, people are struggling for existence. That is what is truly sad.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
Cheating is cheating. To Quantify it but money is weird to me.

It's not as wrong for a player that is making it to the majors over a guy in a FA year? Why?

Most people forget that sports are entertainment. I want to win, don't care about other player's pasts.

Each and every player has a calculated risk involved.

Its not by money but by motivation. Some systems of rules, like the law, and our justice system, take motivation for the rules being broken into account. They do this because the world is not black and white. I agree with this philosophy. Life is very complex. Its why hate crimes are considered worse than the same crimes committed intra-racialy.

Edited by MAX