Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
So I guess the Sox forfeit another pick in the draft? That kind of sucks, but not the end of the world.

This is absolutely the right time to stack that though. The first round pick is protected, meaning the forfeit the second and 3rd round this time around, instead of losing a possible 1st or a second with a big FA signing next year.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
This is absolutely the right time to stack that though. The first round pick is protected, meaning the forfeit the second and 3rd round this time around, instead of losing a possible 1st or a second with a big FA signing next year.

i am here too to eat some crow.... can anyone pass the soy sauce?

lost of a pick, picking a solid outfielder. 3 yr at 15 per, i like it. man Hahn is showing

his privates are huge. getting the players he wants and at a price he is willing to pay.

now for a A+ pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 06:16 AM)
Nice. I think Cabrera is overrated here, but there is no doubt this was the right move.
:headbang

i always like your opinion. so i am using your post. hope you don't mind.

considering what is avail and not emptying the farm, i like it.

whats next??? :huh

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:11 AM)
Jesse Sanchez @JesseSanchezMLB · 14m 14 minutes ago

Source confirms Melky Cabrera agreed to 3-year deal for an estimated $42-43.5M with CWS pending physical. @MLBBruceLevine reported agreement*

*taken from SSS

Hopefully Melky's a 3-win player. But this is about his market value. It's hard to get extra value out of bigger FA signings, that's just the way it is these days.

FWIW, Melky's always killed the Sox. He's hit .336 at the Cell. Maybe he likes the hitting backdrop. Or maybe we never found out how to pitch to him, lol.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
Hopefully Melky's a 3-win player. But this is about his market value. It's hard to get extra value out of bigger FA signings, that's just the way it is these days.

FWIW, Melky's always killed the Sox. He's hit .336 at the Cell. Maybe he likes the hitting backdrop. Or maybe we never found out how to pitch to him, lol.

hopes he continues to hit 336 at the cell. for us.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
One wasn't enough?

never.... i am too greedy. :angry:

edit. but seriously the sox really need an extra pitcher. a perfect one could be a short

term 1 yr fa kind of pitcher. i would feel safe. i really don't want to depend everything on

a rookie.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:32 AM)
Things I'd like for the Sox to add:

1) #4 or #5 right-handed starter

2) Veteran 2B for insurance in case Sanchez/Johnson don't work out

For the 2B, I'd love for us to get Jed Lowrie. Not sure if he'll be affordable though.

not a bad player, can also play 3b.

Sooo

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

LaRoche

Ramirez

Garcia

Gillaspie

Flowers

M. Johnson/Sanchez

Looks pretty good. At least average in AL. I think I forget about LaRoche a lot when I think of our holes. That 1-5 is better than last year. If Garcia can be a player that would be brilliant.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
Things I'd like for the Sox to add:

1) #4 or #5 right-handed starter

2) Veteran 2B for insurance in case Sanchez/Johnson don't work out

For the 2B, I'd love for us to get Jed Lowrie. Not sure if he'll be affordable though.

Someone like Gordon Beckham ? Can platoon with Conor too at 3rd base since the only good thing he does is play decent defense and hit lefties pretty well.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:36 AM)
Someone like Gordon Beckham ? Can platoon with Conor too at 3rd base since the only good thing he does is play decent defense and hit lefties pretty well.

Fine w me at this point. I was Bonifacio but as this point what the heck!!!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:36 AM)

No. Pretty sure that the Johnson/Sanchez tandem can manage to hit .220 on their own.