Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:51 AM)
I'm sure as far as FA signings... but booooooo.

Top of the line starter-check

Solidify bullpen-check

Add a catcher-check

Outfield talent upgrade-check

I've got texts out on the trade front so we will see but to me the plan looks complete.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)
you have a long way to catch up.... sonny.

there's so much error in this statement - anyone who's been around here for a while will tell you... I used to be the drunk village idiot. now my drinking shoes have been hung up and i'm just the village idiot.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)
there's so much error in this statement - anyone who's been around here for a while will tell you... I used to be the drunk village idiot. now my drinking shoes have been hung up and i'm just the village idiot.

Seconded. This guy is an OG

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
I would assume the team is about done making moves BUT I would not be surprised to see a push for Jason Castro.

Wouldn't mind Castro as I think he has a chance to be something special but really... Flowers is fine by me considering the moves that have been made to bring in balance from the left side. We've got enough offense and Flowers earned another year in my book.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:27 AM)
Joshua is crying... for some odd reason.

viciedo_dayan640.jpg

I want Viciedo gone just like you, but I don't think Melky is worth $45M and now the team is on the hook for an extra $14M a year. What if this season is a disaster? If the team was already strapped for cash, how are the going to make a competitor offer for Shark (if they feel he's worthy) during next offseason? I know the is in win now mode but they have to continue to think about the future. When this signing was announced, I had flashbacks to the 2011 season.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:38 AM)
I want Viciedo gone just like you, but I don't think Melky is worth $45M and now the team is on the hook for an extra $14M a year. What if this season is a disaster? If the team was already strapped for cash, how are the going to make a competitor offer for Shark (if they feel he's worthy) during next offseason? I know the is in win now mode but they have to continue to think about the future. When this signing was announced, I had flashbacks to the 2011 season.

Psychology studies show that people reference the present by means of remembrance of the past... however, that logic is flawed. Just as past performance does not indicate future results - you can't keep letting 2011 bite you.

The team being strapped for cash was just a media ploy, dude. They're not flipping strapped for cash.

Signing a player who will give the team likely a +4 WAR bump ( -0.7 Viciedo + 3.x Cabera = 4+ ) will not prevent them from making signings necessary in a year.

If this season is a disaster... I will eat some poop and film it for you.

Oh... also... we didn't give up a SINGLE ONE of our top prospects and still made MAJOR additions in:

- Starting Rotation

- Left Field

- DH

- Closer

- LHP Bullpen

So... um... I'm confused - what's your issue, again?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)
Signing Melky worries me for 2 reasons that have nothing to do with him on the field.

I wouldn't want to go more than 4 yrs/$52M on him.

I wouldn't want to lose our 2nd RD pick on him. Our 2nd RD picks recently have been solid picks (Danish, Adams).

I'm not saying I would rule him out because of losing a 2nd RD pick, it just makes me not dying to sign him.

And none of those things happened. I'm happy.

WOW! Nice morning surprise! Buy your tickets now! Maybe that will give them enough money to keep Hahn in the zone! Wish I lived closer, but I will need to make the drive to the ballpark a few extra times to reward an off season like this one. Thanks Mr. Reisdorf, Rick Hahn, and I am sure Kenny Williams. TWO great off seasons in a row IMO. That is a lot of money for Melky, but he sure makes the line up look better. Anybody know anything about Melky's clubhouse effect?

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
So I guess the Sox forfeit another pick in the draft? That kind of sucks, but not the end of the world.

I was reading a comment from Keith Law who said that this draft class looks quite weak, so perhaps it's not the worst year to lose a couple of picks. Hopefully they will at least use their entire IFA pool as a way to compensate for the lost draft talent. Either that or there's still always the possibility to acquire competitive balance picks.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 05:07 AM)
WOW! Nice morning surprise! Buy your tickets now! Maybe that will give them enough money to keep Hahn in the zone! Wish I lived closer, but I will need to make the drive to the ballpark a few extra times to reward an off season like this one. Thanks Mr. Reisdorf, Rick Hahn, and I am sure Kenny Williams. TWO great off seasons in a row IMO. That is a lot of money for Melky, but he sure makes the line up look better. Anybody know anything about Melky's clubhouse effect?

Hopefully his "clubhouse effect" is not showing guys how to shove needles in thier asses.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
He was a train wreck in 13. I don't have a problem with him getting caught, I have a problem with how getting caught has affected him as a player.

Look, I gotta accept it and root for the guy starting now. The way it is, I'm along for the ride. #teammelky.

He did have a tumor on his spine IIRC in 2013. He probably is still on the juice. I just hope since he got paid he doesn't get off it until he is playing for a contract again.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)

maybe that is way i like you as a great poster. same history, and sense of humor.