Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Love it, this is my favorite move of the offseason. This team didn't have a #2 hitter and now it got the best one available. And I would have been fine with Melky at 4/$60, having to go three years is an early Hannukah miracle.

i will add, the sox made a lot of great moves.... Melky is but 1 of many. JS, Adam L has

to be my 2 favorites.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Jones will be a while. Another reliever, and work on the bench. Who knows, maybe Hahn will get Castro to catch. BTW, Leuri is hitting .338 in the Dominican League.

I'm ok with the bullpen as of now, the bench definitely needs some fine tuning though.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
@JonHeymanCBS 3m3 minutes ago

melky cabrera agrees to three-year deal with white sox for $42M. @MLBBruceLevine 1st w/chisox

42MIL.

I'm always a bit cautious about big FA signings, but given that it's only a three year deal I don't see how anyone could consider this a bad move. Upgrading LF was essential and Melky was probably the best option available to do that. We will have him for his age 30-32 seasons so he shouldn't have entered the extreme decline phase just yet. At $14m AAV it's unlikely that the deal will provide any excess value, but when you have several cost controlled stars, you don't need to get great value from every FA signing.

Melky's awful 2013 season is obviously a concern, as is the PED stuff, but if he had been consistency good every year of his career, there's no way he would have been in our price range.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Has to be Danks, right? No other roster move frees up as much as Melky will be getting.

Also wondering if there is another SP target out there if Danks is being moved.

A Danks trade isn't going to free up that much money. We are either taking on salary to make a deal work, or paying a chunk of his salary to make him go.

Outstanding move(s), Rick Hahn!!

The Sox absolutely needed another bat, not an out, if they were to make all their other moves worthwhile. Needed more run support to turn Sale's and Quintana's excellent outings into leads. Needed an actual bullpen to hold those leads. Needed another quality starter to improve the over .500 record (assuming that #4 and #5 can at least pitch .500).

Cabrera for 3 years rather than 4? That's huge. For only $14 million per year? That seems really cheap in today's baseball.

We have a switch hitting high-average high-on base guy to slot into the #2 hole, ahead of Abreu, LaRoche, and Garcia. Alexei gets moved down in the order, where he belongs. Sox really only have one big hole in the lineup, at 2B, but they have options there. Righty platoon guys for Gillaspie and LaRoche are also needed, but I don't doubt Hahn is working on that too!

So, hats off to Mr. Hahn (and JR, for agreeing to pay). Fantastic moves, and I don't think they are done!

This team is going to be ready to compete with anyone in 2015.

GO SOX!!

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
He was traded to Toronto, wasn't he?

Yes, but not for all that much. Lawrie is a nice player, but Donaldson currently is a star, if I were the GM, he is one guy I would give Anderson + for. Anderson, Gillaspie and whatever for an offensive and defensive huge upgrade. And he is controlled for a while.

Edited by Dick Allen

You'd probably have a majority willing to give up Anderson, Montas and Hawkins for Josh Donaldson at this point.

Seems like the plan of action from the beginning was to pull all his moves off without losing any key future pieces.

Still a bit in disbelief. Not a huge Cabrera fan but it's almost impossible not to feel positive about the overall direction of the franchise compared to a year ago.

Robin Ventura. Your turn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Jones will be a while. Another reliever, and work on the bench. Who knows, maybe Hahn will get Castro to catch. BTW, Leuri is hitting .338 in the Dominican League.
for the e

Sorry I just read that his back is ok but he blew out his elbow and may not be ready until June. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by sammy esposito

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Yes, but not for all that much. Lawrie is a nice player, but Donaldson currently is a star, if I were the GM, he is one guy I would give Anderson + for. Anderson, Gillaspie and whatever for an offensive and defensive huge upgrade. And he is controlled for a while.

I'm with you. It appears the Sox wanted to save the top 5-6 guys in their farm while improving the major league club though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)

Except Toronto's in win now mode too. That move would make no sense unless they got all top prospects back and punted on this season.

i can imagine all the negative side effects this is doing to some of the teams gm at

breakfast this morning.

the sCrubs, they are seeing their control of chi just keeping slipping

Dodgers, prob thought they had the sox over the barrel, enjoy eating more

salary.

and yous guys can add more.

this will be great for that Hilter snippet of getting pissed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
Except Toronto's in win now mode too. That move would make no sense unless they got all top prospects back and punted on this season.

He's not talking about TOR he's talking about OAK including him with Samardjiza. Trade was happening at about same time.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
i can imagine all the negative side effects this is doing to some of the teams gm at

breakfast this morning.

the sCrubs, they are seeing their control of chi just keeping slipping

Dodgers, prob thought they had the sox over the barrel, enjoy eating more

salary.

and yous guys can add more.

this will be great for that Hilter snippet of getting pissed.

Yeah, this probably helps push Ilitch to sign Scherzer. We'll see.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
You'd probably have a majority willing to give up Anderson, Montas and Hawkins for Josh Donaldson at this point.

Seems like the plan of action from the beginning was to pull all his moves off without losing any key future pieces.

Still a bit in disbelief. Not a huge Cabrera fan but it's almost impossible not to feel positive about the overall direction of the franchise compared to a year ago.

Robin Ventura. Your turn.

no only RV turn but that whole Sox advertising department. go 100 % full court press on

the advertising and funny commercials.

start off with Jose A getting the news of the improvements and waiting in the sox dougout while

it is snowing.

Edited by LDF