Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
Whenever I saw Ethier hit last year, he looked like someone who lost a lot of bat speed. Unless it's a deal for Danks, I don't want him in any deal where the Sox are giving up something good.

Even in that deal, the Sox would be taking on a ****ton of salary unless the Dodgers offset it, and to get the Dodgers to offset it the Sox would have to give up something worth catching the Dodgers' interest.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Whenever I saw Ethier hit last year, he looked like someone who lost a lot of bat speed. Unless it's a deal for Danks, I don't want him in any deal where the Sox are giving up something good.

That's what I've read in a lot of places, which is what gives me caution in the Sox taking him on and makes me think that, if the Sox acquired one of the high priced Dodgers outfielders, it might be Crawford instead. Not sure how I feel about that or Ethier.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
I wouldn't hate to see Alex Guerrero involved in any Alexei/Danks and dodgers deal. The guy can really rake, just wish he had a better glove at SS.

Normally I would agree, but speculation is that it's such a bad glove that it doesn't even belong in the infield. The Dodgers had him penciled in as the 2014 2B, but sent him to the minors instead so that Dee Gordon could play because he needed that much work defensively.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
I spent 3 years in Webster Texas and a couple of summers in Conroe. I could never see snow again and be thrilled. If there was any real financial industry in the south, I would have been down there 15 years ago.

This past summer wasnt bad...last years was really bad. Dont go outside bad because the sun will eat your skin away. Most of the places I'm looking to move are on the East Coast or back to Chicago.

When Andrew Friedman went to the Dodgers, posters were writing Friedman with the Dodgers money as basically being unfair. Why do they now want the White Sox to deal with him, and think KW and Hahn will pull off a coup?

1) No one is excited about dealing with Friedman; rather, they are excited about a potential deal with a team that has actual assets that we would want. There's a difference.

2) What does KW have to do with anything?

3) Who said anything about a coup? We have major needs, and are deep at MI. We are trying to find solutions to glaring holes, not "rip off" someone in a head to head trade.

Any more rhetoricals from you? I'm here to help.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
1) No one is excited about dealing with Friedman; rather, they are excited about a potential deal with a team that has actual assets that we would want. There's a difference.

2) What does KW have to do with anything?

3) Who said anything about a coup? We have major needs, and are deep at MI. We are trying to find solutions to glaring holes, not "rip off" someone in a head to head trade.

Any more rhetoricals from you? I'm here to help.

If you read the proposals and don't think some are expecting to pay pennies on the dollar for LA Dodgers talent, you are higher than Snoop.

If you think KW has nothing to do with White Sox activity, you are higher than Snoop.

So I really don't think you are in a postion to help.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Dan Hayes @CSNHayes · 12m 12 minutes ago

Rick Hahn, Andrew Friedman got creative, funky on Jesse Crain trade. Relationship could aid an Alexei Ramirez deal

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/histor...i-ramirez-trade

What was creative about the non-prospects the Sox got for Crain?

why would a deal for Alexei require anything creative? Avoid their 3rd tier and below prospects and their rapidly declining veterans.

If you read the proposals and don't think some are expecting to pay pennies on the dollar for LA Dodgers talent, you are higher than Snoop.

If you think KW has nothing to do with White Sox activity, you are higher than Snoop.

Reasonable people do not expect a top 3 prospect from the Dodgers system. I can't speak for everyone else.

I doubt KW is directly involved in trade talks. The types of trades we have made since Hahn has taken over are indicative of a change in philosophy.

Your third point is the most coherent you've been all day; you're welcome.

For weather, the best climate is obviously in SoCal but NoCal is better than anywhere else in the country (subjective but certainly it doesn't get that cold or that hot, which people seem to like) non SoCal division.

Seattle gets a bad rep for rain but as a former midwestern/east transplant, I can say the weather here beats the crap out of Chicago or NYC -- especially if you don't like extremes. It's 50 today, low will be around 40, that's a pretty typical day here for the next 4 months. No snow, quite a bit of clouds. The clouds get bad especially around April and May, but no snow, hardly ever goes below 40, lotta plants stay green and/or bloom all year. Not at all bad IMO.

Anyways, the Sox could really benefit from trading Ramirez while he still has peak value. They could also screw it up. We'll see.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
What was creative about the non-prospects the Sox got for Crain?

why would a deal for Alexei require anything creative? Avoid their 3rd tier and below prospects and their rapidly declining veterans.

It was creative because Crain was injured at the time and the return centered around Crain's future performance for the Rays.

I think creativity in regards to a trade with the Dodgers could be required if you begin talking about value being impacted by the dollars moving between the teams.

If nothing else, having two teams calling about Alexei means there is the ability to play them off of each other to maximize your return. That only goes up if the Yankees are actively looking at him as well. Hopefully Hahn is asking for the moon, and threatening that the other team is possibly willing to meet it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)

First the Sox need to trade him for young talent. Not the aging veterans. Keep him if they want veterans.

They aren't getting Kemp/Puig and they aren't getting their top 3 prospects.

But they have several other really good ones who they might be able to work in.

The only veterans that should interest the Sox are Puig or Kemp (doesn't interest me, but I can see the allure; Ethier is useless - I wouldn't trade Danks for him) and they aren't trading either of those 2 for Alexei. Maybe Van Slyke, but that's doubtful too.

No problem with the Sox dealing with the Dodgers.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
Dan Hayes @CSNHayes · 12m 12 minutes ago

Rick Hahn, Andrew Friedman got creative, funky on Jesse Crain trade. Relationship could aid an Alexei Ramirez deal

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/histor...i-ramirez-trade

Creatively funky? I don't remember that Crain ever pitched an inning for the Rays did he? I see no reason to be trading Ramirez for any outfielder LA has just based on their money heavy contracts and injuries. It almost seems like folks thing the Dodgers would be doing us a favor. I can see a possibility that Ramirez is dealt but I think maybe a more realistic possibility is that Gillaspie, Semien or Sanchez get dealt