Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
White Sox management is sure saying different.
. They haven't said that and they certainly haven't acted that way. What they said is they will put a competitive team on the field. And that they won't harm the long term plan in the process. They have taken a measured approach and gone after relatively inexpensive upgrades. If they were all in it would have been serious offers for v mart , Sandoval, miller and at least shields.

I think they need several more moves And hope they make them. I just don't believe that those moves should include trading young talent for veterans.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 04:30 AM)
. They haven't said that and they certainly haven't acted that way. What they said is they will put a competitive team on the field. And that they won't harm the long term plan in the process. They have taken a measured approach and gone after relatively inexpensive upgrades. If they were all in it would have been serious offers for v mart , Sandoval, miller and at least shields.

I think they need several more moves And hope they make them. I just don't believe that those moves should include trading young talent for veterans.

that is purely conjecture on your part, and if i look at it, my part as well. no one knows for

sure what the sox have in store, except the sox brass. this whole thing of the sox will

put a competitive team can be taken either way. the bottom line the sox is improving the

team, not going for top notch free agents and using the veil perception to disguise not

spending but finding other alternative to improve the team.

Hahn said they have a budget, the sox will not spend like crazy to improve the teams with

15-20 mil on positional players.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 10:30 PM)

Signing a 35-year-old DH is about the biggest "WIN NOW" move they could have ever made. Rebuilding teams don't spend like that on aging assets that aren't easily moveable in a "flip for prospects" scenario like you can easily do with pitchers, and sometimes OFers.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
I would guess the thinking goes the upgrade from Viciedo to Kemp is larger/more significant than the downgrade from Alexei to Semien/whomever.

It's much easier to replace a LF spot than a SS spot. SS is the most important position on the field and the hardest to replace and find good talent for. LF is one of the easiest positions to replace. It's like trading your QB to acquire a good FB.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
It's much easier to replace a LF spot than a SS spot. SS is the most important position on the field and the hardest to replace and find good talent for. LF is one of the easiest positions to replace. It's like trading your QB to acquire a good FB.

a nice post.

your reasoning of the SS is spot on, that is why teams will be willing to spend and get

into a bidding contest for the services of a good SS.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 02:58 AM)

When that SS is old, a mediocre fielder, and not a + bat that analogy doesn't even come close to working. This board's value of Alexei is incredibly overblown. If (even though it probably won't happen) they trade Alexei this board is going to erupt with disappointment with the return.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)
When that SS is old, a mediocre fielder, and not a + bat that analogy doesn't even come close to working. This board's value of Alexei is incredibly overblown. If (even though it probably won't happen) they trade Alexei this board is going to erupt with disappointment with the return.

last yr, in the beginning of 2014 season, after Jose started to make a name for himself, most

was clamoring for his trade. i stood my ground and said no.

now this off season, most don't want the trade, my thoughts are the posters are not seeing

the rtn value for him as oppose what will be needed to field his position and his batting.

and if the our value in Alexei is overblown, there is a reason. on any team, Alexei is being treated

the same way he is being treated on the sox. holding the position with solid defense and offense

until the time comes for Anderson to take over. it is pure logic that is determining his value.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)

How is he a mediocre fielder? He was nominated for a gold glove, I think he's above average to say the least. And he just won a Silver Slugger award at SS in the AL. He doesn't have a high OPS because he doesn't walk a bunch, but he hits for a high average and can still steal bases.

I think your value of Alexei is incredibly pessimistic.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
How is he a mediocre fielder? He was nominated for a gold glove, I think he's above average to say the least. And he just won a Silver Slugger award at SS in the AL. He doesn't have a high OPS because he doesn't walk a bunch, but he hits for a high average and can still steal bases.

Derrick Jeter sez hey.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)

Lol nominated for a good glove. Good joke man, I laughed pretty hard. You might want to check these crazy things called stats. They don't lie and they don't paint a very nice picture for Alexei's D.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Lol nominated for a good glove. Good joke man, I laughed pretty hard. You might want to check these crazy things called stats. They don't lie and they don't paint a very nice picture for Alexei's D.

Then please provide the defensive stats and rank them amongst all SSs in the MLB because I cannot find them.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 02:56 AM)
Signing a 35-year-old DH is about the biggest "WIN NOW" move they could have ever made. Rebuilding teams don't spend like that on aging assets that aren't easily moveable in a "flip for prospects" scenario like you can easily do with pitchers, and sometimes OFers.

There's a huge difference between a "win now" move that risks future assets and one that doesn't affect them at all. The LaRoche signing is in the latter category.

The truth, as always, isn't black and white. Our "window of contention" is less of an open/shut thing and more of a continuum. Yes, we're trying to win in 2015, but we're not trying as hard as we expect to be trying in 2016, and definitely not as hard as we expect to be in 2017. Rick Hahn's behavior to this point has been to do everything he can to win today so long as it has close to no effect on winning tomorrow. That's not punting the season, but it's also definitely not a situation where he's giving up prospects, draft picks, or future dead money to get the best guys on the field next year.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)

He was a finalist for an Gold Glove just a few weeks ago... It's not a joke.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)

here is the article i really do hope you can continue your laughing, b/c it is true.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2216140...lists-announced

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)
There's a huge difference between a "win now" move that risks future assets and one that doesn't affect them at all. The LaRoche signing is in the latter category.

The truth, as always, isn't black and white. Our "window of contention" is less of an open/shut thing and more of a continuum. Yes, we're trying to win in 2015, but we're not trying as hard as we expect to be trying in 2016, and definitely not as hard as we expect to be in 2017. Rick Hahn's behavior to this point has been to do everything he can to win today so long as it has close to no effect on winning tomorrow. That's not punting the season, but it's also definitely not a situation where he's giving up prospects, draft picks, or future dead money to get the best guys on the field next year.

there are several layers of a post>> bad, good, excellent and yours outstanding. with good

reasoning to support it.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
He was a finalist for an Gold Glove just a few weeks ago... It's not a joke.

I know that. I'm laughing at the actual award and being nominated for it meaning anything what so ever.

The fielding bible gave Alexei a -10 in +/- runs saved on the year. His UZR was -.7. His zone rating was in the low .700's....seriously, this isn't debatable. He's AT BEST a mediocre fielder.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
I know that. I'm laughing at the actual award and being nominated for it meaning anything what so ever.

The fielding bible gave Alexei a -10 in +/- runs saved on the year. His UZR was -.7. His zone rating was in the low .700's....seriously, this isn't debatable. He's AT BEST a mediocre fielder.

Or there are flaws in the statistics.

I could have sworn someone on Soxtalk made an argument that Alexeis defensive statistics and zone ratings are skewed negatively because he gets to a lot of balls that he really shouldnt, and then cant make the play because they are such incredibly difficult plays.

Or, i could be having a bad Hawk flashback

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 01:56 AM)

They spent a moderate $25 mill for 2 years, without giving up a draft choice, to get some competence at the DH and to give Abreu some much needed relief playing 1B. This team won 73 games last year. They'll be ready when some of these young players are ready to go. They aren't yet and you can't win without them.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)

you were laughing at anyone who said that he was up for the award. the proof is there.

if you have a problem with it, take up with the committee for that award.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 09:08 PM)
I could have sworn someone on Soxtalk made an argument that Alexeis defensive statistics and zone ratings are skewed negatively because he gets to a lot of balls that he really shouldnt, and then cant make the play because they are such incredibly difficult plays.

no someone did and i remember someone also was, i think, talking about

Rondon as well.

then again maybe its my old age that is stopping me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)

I remember this as well, just don't remember who was arguing that case.