Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

Well, where there's smoke there's fire. Looks like the Sox are going to move Lexi. My questions ... Semien is a lousy fielder at short, right? So he can't play there. Leury and Sanchez can't play, right?

It's kind of scary having nobody to replace Lexi that can hit a lick and can field a lick.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
That would involve unloading two of their high priced OFs, which ain't happening.

Why not? The Dodger are trying to get under 190M to avoid luxury taxes in 2015 and if that's going to happen they NEED to get rid of two high priced outfielders which has been speculated already. Let's say they trade Crawford and Schebler to the Sox and Ethier somewhere else. That leaves the Dodgers with an outfield of Kemp, Puig, Pederson and Van Slyke as the fourth outfielder.

I'm not saying this will happen but it is certainly possible.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
If I remember right, Schebler is that prospect that's on the way plus I think there's a kid in the lower minor levels as well. I think its possible we see something like Alexei and Danks for Schebler, one of Crawford/ Ethier and a low level prospect.

Then there's no reason for the White Sox to make that move. Schebler could be a starter in 2016 but his numbers don't scream or jump out at you. He's not a bad prospect, but he's not worth Alexei Ramirez.

Basically, the Sox have no reason to move Alexei. If they move him, they are going to get a very good, top prospect in return or a very nice package of prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
The Sox are not taking on two big contracts this winter (a Dodger OF and Shields). They finally got to the point where they are in a good payroll position. They aren't about to blow that up again.

The Dodger OF contract would be offset with Danks. The Sox can afford Shields; tho McCarthy or Hammel would be cheaper options. Again, I am only commenting on what might happen in the scenario I outlined. I would prefer Alexei straight up for Zack Wheeler, and then take the Alexei money and sign Cabrera or Lowrie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
Well, where there's smoke there's fire. Looks like the Sox are going to move Lexi. My questions ... Semien is a lousy fielder at short, right? So he can't play there. Leury and Sanchez can't play, right?

It's kind of scary having nobody to replace Lexi that can hit a lick and can field a lick.

No, the Sox are not set on trading Alexei.

Yes, there's interest and yes, the Sox should listen.

No, Semien is not a lousy fielder. He has had trouble with footwork and rushing throws. That can be improved with playing time. (I feel I say this once a day)

Yes, Sanchez can play it, but his range is limited.

Yes, Leury can play a fine SS but he's an absolutely terrible hitter who needs time in AAA.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
The Dodger OF contract would be offset with Danks. The Sox can afford Shields; tho McCarthy or Hammel would be cheaper options. Again, I am only commenting on what might happen in the scenario I outlined. I would prefer Alexei straight up for Zack Wheeler, and then take the Alexei money and sign Cabrera or Lowrie.

Matt Kemp is due $21 million this year, and $21.5 million for each year from 2016 to 2019. John Danks is due $14.25 million for 2015 and 2016. That is a gap of 6.75 million this year, 7.25 million in 2016 and $64.5 million from 2017 to 2019.

I am going to say that is about $80 million short of an "offset".

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Then there's no reason for the White Sox to make that move. Schebler could be a starter in 2016 but his numbers don't scream or jump out at you. He's not a bad prospect, but he's not worth Alexei Ramirez.

Basically, the Sox have no reason to move Alexei. If they move him, they are going to get a very good, top prospect in return or a very nice package of prospects.

Rinse, repeat.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)

Maybe the Sox and Dodgers get creative with something along the lines of...

Schebler, Arruebarrena and Crawford for Alexei, Danks and Beck? Don't know how close that is, just throwing it out there.

Arruebarrena ( defensive whiz) replaces Alexei at SS, Schebler and Crawford take LF/ DH. That leaves one of Sanchez/Johnson/Semien taking over 2B with one of those three being used in a trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
Matt Kemp is due $21 million this year, and $21.5 million for each year from 2016 to 2019. John Danks is due $14.25 million for 2015 and 2016. That is a gap of 6.75 million this year, 7.25 million in 2016 and $64.5 million from 2017 to 2019.

Who said anything about Matt Kemp? Dodgers are not moving him for Alexei. It would be Ethier or Crawford., probably Ethier.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:10 PM)
If I remember right, Schebler is that prospect that's on the way plus I think there's a kid in the lower minor levels as well. I think its possible we see something like Alexei and Danks for Schebler, one of Crawford/ Ethier and a low level prospect.

bingo, the key wording here is the low level prospect, which i will hope with will be a pitcher.

i hate to say this, but i rather forget Schebler if we can get pitchers. there are at least 2 who

sound very intriguing in the 8-14 rated prospects.

i really doubted that the dodgers will include Schebler b/c they are really high on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)

another idea will be, will the dodgers include salary relief or not. if not, i wonder what is

on the table in a sense of cost / prospects.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)

.280 BA, .365 OBP, 28 HR, 14 3B and 23 2B doesn't jump out at you? You are difficult to please...

I realize these numbers are from AA but still.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
.280 BA, .365 OBP, 28 HR, 14 3B and 23 2B doesn't jump out at you? You are difficult to please...

Schebler also walked 8% of the time and struck out 19.6% of the time, both fairly reasonable numbers. He did it as a 23 year old.

Here's what Marcus Semien did in the same league as a 22 year old:

.290/.420/.483, 15 HR, 21 2B, 5 3B, 20 SB, 80% SB%, 17.4% BB%, 13.7% K%

...and some people here are talking about packaging Marcus Semien up like he's some two pump chump.

I happen to really like Marcus Semien, but I think he's a slightly above average player at his peak, probably a .250/.330/.420 type of player with nice versatility around the field. I think Schebler is probably a similar OPS player but with fewer walks and more XBHs.

Like I said, Schebler's a nice prospect. He's not nice enough to get Alexei when the White Sox are the ones who are holding all the leverage in these negotiations.

The alleged list of priority acquisitions has been LH middle of the order bat, RH starting pitcher, an outfielder and LH relief pitcher.

We just acquired a southpaw bull pen arm. So, if Alexei is traded, I would think that it would have to be to address one, or two of the other priorities.

Ethier could satisfy the former, and provide the Dodgers' with some of their desired salary relief. If they would include Schebler, that would be intriguing.

Ethier could move to DH in a year, and Schebler could be the other OF piece, to play along side Eaton and Garcia.

I know that the Dodgers are high on Schebler, but they don't really have room for him, unless they can trade all of their veteran outfielders. Pederson, Puig and one veteran are likely to

fill their outfield. So, even after unloading 2 of Crawford, Kemp and Ethier, they wouldn't have room for Schebler.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)

back in the 90's a fan made a relatively chart that was unproven on how much

of a drop off in the stats, when a prospect comes to the majors.

so lets say conservatively ba 250-260 17-20 hrs 18 2b. now the starting line

is there with a question, can or will he improve?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:45 PM)
Schebler also walked 8% of the time and struck out 19.6% of the time, both fairly reasonable numbers. He did it as a 23 year old.

...and some people here are talking about packaging Marcus Semien up like he's some two pump chump.

I happen to really like Marcus Semien, but I think he's a slightly above average player at his peak, probably a .250/.330/.420 type of player with nice versatility around the field. I think Schebler is probably a similar OPS player but with fewer walks and more XBHs.

Like I said, Schebler's a nice prospect. He's not nice enough to get Alexei when the White Sox are the ones who are holding all the leverage in these negotiations.

jeeze this is like the other thread, some fans are really undervaluing Lexi and really undervaluing

the fact of how great of a position the sox are. the sox are holding all the cards. they can and will

extract the most that they can.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)

I like what you say here and agree about Semien as well. What about something like Schebler and Arruebarrena for Alexei? To me, that sounds like a lot but I admit that I do not see Alexei's value the way most on this board do.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
jeeze this is like the other thread, some fans are really undervaluing Lexi and really undervaluing

the fact of how great of a position the sox are. the sox are holding all the cards. they can and will

extract the most that they can.

This could be what's going on now. First the Mets, then the Yanks and now the Dodgers. Maybe Hahn is stirring things up a bit to see if a team will blow him away. Create a little bit of a bidding war.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
I like what you say here and agree about Semien as well. What about something like Schebler and Arruebarrena for Alexei? To me, that sounds like a lot but I admit that I do not see Alexei's value the way most on this board do.

This could be what's going on now. First the Mets, then the Yanks and now the Dodgers.

Maybe Hahn is stirring things up a bit to see if a team will blow him away.

Create a little bit of a bidding war.

'

hell yeah, if he didn't do that, he is a fool, and he really doesn't strike me as being

addled minded.

I am hoping it's Seager because that would solve a lot of problems. He's a left handed bat, a run producer who has solid contact skills that allow him to hit for a high average and should be able to hit 25 homers a season with a ton of doubles and he plays 3rd base.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)

It's more interesting, but it really depends on their scouting report of Arruebarrena and how he can hit/field. If they feel he can hit a little, it may be worth it, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he will.

Just so we can put these out here for people to see so we can realize how bad of a hitter Arruebarrena is, these are his minor league numbers (minors..not the majors...THE MINORS):

272 PAs, .259/.304/.417/.721, 23 XBHs, 16 BBs (5.9% BB%), 91 K (33.5% K%)

The fact that his K% in the majors over 45 PAs was only 37.8% is frankly astonishing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
'

hell yeah, if he didn't do that, he is a fool, and he really doesn't strike me as being

addled minded.

Hahn is definitely no fool. I'm really hoping I'm wrong on Alexei's perceived value. Maybe at some point Hahn shows us all.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
I am hoping it's Seager because that would solve a lot of problems. He's a left handed bat, a run producer who has solid contact skills that allow him to hit for a high average and should be able to hit 25 homers a season with a ton of doubles and he plays 3rd base.

Its likely the Dodgers are looking to acquire Alexei as a stop gap to Seager. Alexei's contract expires after 2016 and Seager is expected to be ready by then. Same as what us Sox fans talking about with Alexei bridging the gap to Anderson.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
I think it's crazy that some fans think the Sox could get Seager for Alexei, which would never happen and others are willing to take Schebler for Alexei. These are two way different ends of the spectrum. The Dodgers really aren't much of a match with the Sox in terms of prospects. Even if they felt inclined to move Pederson, they could get better value of moving him for someone other than Alexei.

Oh I agree, and I don't think Alexei is going to be traded. If he is, it will likely be a good thing for the White Sox for 2016 and beyond. Just that, from the Sox perspective, they don't have any real desire to move Alexei, so unless the offers are legit - a top prospect or a couple of very good prospects - there's no need to move him.

Let's do it this way...the Sox just traded Alexei Ramirez for Joc Pederson. The Sox now have a monster asset on hand but also a relatively monster size hole at SS. Would you trade Joc Pederson to Kansas City (forget that they're intra-divisional right now) for Alcides Escobar? Because you should, given that Alcides Escobar is a more valuable player than Alexei Ramirez at this point in time. If not, then you can see why the Dodgers would say no to Joc, which is what they're going to do.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
It's more interesting, but it really depends on their scouting report of Arruebarrena and how he can hit/field. If they feel he can hit a little, it may be worth it, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he will.

Just so we can put these out here for people to see so we can realize how bad of a hitter Arruebarrena is, these are his minor league numbers (minors..not the majors...THE MINORS):

272 PAs, .259/.304/.417/.721, 23 XBHs, 16 BBs (5.9% BB%), 91 K (33.5% K%)

The fact that his K% in the majors over 45 PAs was only 37.8% is frankly astonishing.

So Arruebarrena is a slight improvement over Leury? Yikes, never mind.

OK, new bucket of s*** to throw at the wall. Tell the Dodgers Gordon and Schebler for Alexei.