White Sox sign Zach Duke, 3 years, $15 million

oneofthemikes

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
This is the kind of guy that the Sox bullpen needs though. Another thread talked about leadership, Duke has done it all from a pitching standpoint. As a rookie, he looked like he was going to be the real deal, but eventually bombed as a starter then bombed in his transition to the bullpen, but kept working at it and is now getting some pretty good results. The bullpen is going to be pretty young next year, and someone who has the perspective of handling a lot of adversity can be a good leader for that group.

Hes a solid bullpen arm, can go multiple innings if needed, and throws left handed. The contract is not large by the context of what other players have been getting or what I think they will continue to get in FA.

Why was a certain former White Sox closer and his projected $3.8 million 1st year arb contract considered expensive, but Zach Duke 3 years $15 million, not much of a gamble?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
Why was a certain former White Sox closer and his projected $3.8 million 1st year arb contract considered expensive, but Zach Duke 3 years $15 million, not much of a gamble?

It's a great point, because time never changes, personnel never changes, and everything in the world is always absolute. So the most important thing in the world is trying to accuse someone of a message board of being inconsistent by comparing two vaguely similar circumstances over and over in every thread.

White Sox signed LHP Zach Duke to a three-year, $15 million contract.

Not bad for a guy who was a non-roster invitee to spring training this past season. Duke had a terrific year for the Brewers, posting a 2.45 ERA and 74/17 K/BB ratio over 58 2/3 innings. The White Sox are obviously betting that he can duplicate that success. He'll help set up in Chicago.

Per Rotoworld

Hope he does not regress.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
It should be noted that said former closer was exactly a league average reliever last year. How much do you think O.O WAR is worth?

He was 1.7 in 2013 when he had to be moved. Duke was 1.3 last year and it got him $15 million for 3 years. Interesting Steamer has them both at 0.3 next season.

Looks like he would have been a bargain to hang on to.

He was 1.7 in 2013 when he had to be moved. Duke was 1.3 last year and it got him $15 million for 3 years. Interesting Steamer has them both at 0.3 next season.

So, you're irritated that the Sox dumped an overvalued reliever at precisely the right time?

Steamer projections aren't very useful on Duke; Steamer doesn't know about the changes in skill that allowed Duke to improve significantly in 2014. Steamer is pretty instructive on Reed, given the large sample size there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)

Except that the White Sox also got a prospect in Davidson. He looks like a bust at this point, but he's still here. If he hadn't, you wouldn't be singing this tune. He did, so you're singing the hindsight card. If the Sox traded Jake Petricka or Daniel Webb for a similarly talented prospect, I hope the Sox make that move again. Those guys aren't even expensive and I'm hoping they'd make a similar move if it presented itself.

If this move flops in year 1, you are going to see people saying that they wished the Sox wouldn't have given him that 3rd year. The idea behind the move - bringing in a lefty reliever - is a worthwhile move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Except that the White Sox also got a prospect in Davidson. He looks like a bust at this point, but he's still here. If he hadn't, you wouldn't be singing this tune. He did, so you're singing the hindsight card. If the Sox traded Jake Petricka or Daniel Webb for a similarly talented prospect, I hope the Sox make that move again. Those guys aren't even expensive and I'm hoping they'd make a similar move if it presented itself.

If this move flops in year 1, you are going to see people saying that they wished the Sox wouldn't have given him that 3rd year. The idea behind the move - bringing in a lefty reliever - is a worthwhile move.

The problem is, the replacement for relievers "about to become expensive" is signing relievers who actually are more expensive.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
The problem is, the replacement for relievers "about to become expensive" is signing relievers who actually are more expensive.

This isn't the case at all. Nate Jones was a replacement for Addison Reed, he was far less expensive. Scott Downs was a replacement for Matt Thornton and he bombed, so they went with other guys throughout the rest of the 2014 season. Zach Duke is a replacement for Scott Downs.

Also, I do believe you're wrong if you are insinuating that Belisario or Duke were somehow the replacement for Addison Reed. I think they were planning on signing Belisario anyways and Duke is going to take on a totally different role.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 19m19 minutes ago

Hahn said that Don Cooper had lunch with Zach Duke a while back. Coop was impressed with Duke and changes he has made.

Hahn: Losing Nate last year left a hole in terms of guy who can come in & get big K. Certainly on list of things we're hoping to address.

Zach Duke: I just feel like the athletes are there for this team to be successful (along with other additions). #WhiteSox

Rick Hahn said #WhiteSox had to stretch to get Zach Duke deal done but bc there were limited options on LHP relief market, had to to do it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
This isn't the case at all. Nate Jones was a replacement for Addison Reed, he was far less expensive. Scott Downs was a replacement for Matt Thornton and he bombed, so they went with other guys throughout the rest of the 2014 season. Zach Duke is a replacement for Scott Downs.

Also, I do believe you're wrong if you are insinuating that Belisario or Duke were somehow the replacement for Addison Reed. I think they were planning on signing him anyways.

I really don't want to get into the Reed stuff again, but he was making slightly over minimum and Jones was already on the roster, so whoever was his replacement , probably cost more in 2014 and probably 2015 as well.

I really honestly hope this Duke signing works out, but I just know it won't. There are too many red flags.