White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
To me, this move signals an even stronger possibility that one Mr. Matt Kemp will be the outfielder we eventually get from the Dodgers. Kemp isn't so great defensively himself these days, so with us he would become the DH against LH starters, with a soon-to-be-named RH 4th outfielder starting in LF on those days. Then, in two years, Kemp slides over as the full time DH. Meanwhile, the middle of the order for the next couple of years would feature Abreu, LaRoche, Kemp and Garcia. Not too terribly shabby!

I hate bumping old threads, but I also hate when posters rip a move with the benefit of hindsight. Thad, I got no beef with you, but you've been ripping Hahn quite a bit lately on the LaRoche & Melky moves. And based on the post above, it doesn't appear you were against the LaRoche signing at the time. In fact, I'd say you were mildly excited based on that "not too shabby!" comment.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
I hate bumping old threads, but I also hate when posters rip a move with the benefit of hindsight.

I think it's Ok to bump this. I only read the first page and it was mostly positive reviews of the signing.

I would love to read a column that reviewed someone like Mel Kiper's player analysis prior to a draft compared to their subsequent career achievements. Too often, people are quick to point out their correct predictions while completely ignoring their misses.

I think SoxTalk posters' reactions to front office moves are fair game in the same way.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
I hate bumping old threads, but I also hate when posters rip a move with the benefit of hindsight. Thad, I got no beef with you, but you've been ripping Hahn quite a bit lately on the LaRoche & Melky moves. And based on the post above, it doesn't appear you were against the LaRoche signing at the time. In fact, I'd say you were mildly excited based on that "not too shabby!" comment.

Ha! I just saw this. I have no problem whatsoever you bumping this up and reminding me of something I once said. No problem at all. In fact, just reading that post, I am reminded of course of the optimism I shared with most of you about those deals. And why were we excited and optimistic? Because we thought that FINALLY, after nearly ten years since the World Series, with only one brief (and unsuccessful) playoff appearance in-between, these particular moves represented a legitimate chance to reverse our fortunes and return the team to the postseason.

And then 2015 happened.

So let's take a moment here and talk about a fan's rights, i.e., a paying consumer's rights, when it comes to reacting to deals made by the team they follow, support, and with whom they invest time, energy, and money. A new acquisition will have three stages: before, during, and after. The before is at the time of acquisition, the during is when the player is playing during the season, and then the after is after the season is completed. We as paying fans are entitled to an opinion at all three stages - before, during, and after, based on what we know at those points in time.

As it relates to Cabrera & LaRoche, I fully admit at the time of acquisition I was excited and hopeful they would perform at a level whose efforts collectively would elevate the team from the pitiful play of recent seasons to that of a playoff-worthy contender. You talk about bumping threads - there are a gazillion of them buried somewhere in this site of where I'm very clear about my desire for my team, these Sox of ours, to WIN, WIN, WIN. I am very tired of all of the losing seasons we've had to endure under this ownership/management team. And so even though I am critical of the owner and his management team, I nonetheless want the moves they make to work out. I wanted LaRoche to hit 30 home runs and knock in 100 runs. I wanted Melky to be a far better player than he was last year. These weren't moves I made, obviously, they were made by Hahn and Williams, but of course I supported them. Why? Because I want the team to win, and "on paper" they looked "not too shabby". I am similarly excited about Frazier "before" we head into this season as well, based "on paper" how it looks like he might contribute to whatever slim postseason aspirations this current roster has.

Let's remember one important fact in all of this: we are not the ones paid the big bucks to come up with these deals and put together these teams year after year after year. We are simply the paying customers, some of whom, like myself, are results driven. The folks in the front office are purportedly greater baseball minds than any of us, which is fine, but then prove it. Construct rosters with players who together will produce an exciting team for our beleaguered fan base, one that actually gets to the postseason and actually goes deep into them, which has only occurred once in our lifetimes. If you get those players who make that happen, I'll be the very first one to applaud at the time of acquisition, "during" the season while the players are excelling at their craft, and "after" the season, "in hindsight", when we are celebrating a successful season.

But until that happens, if management team's decisions continue to produce the results like we've seen the past decade, and if their major acquisitions like Cabrera, LaRoche and Garcia continue to produce like they did last year, I will certainly have something to say about that. Again, as customers like we all are who invest time, energy and money into this product, I think that's a privilege we all have to do so.

ok, i looked at the beginning of this post,

i will accept that i was wholeheartedly for the signing, i wanted someone else but i was extremely happy with the signing.

i went thru 10 pages and i only counted 2 posted who did not like it. the majority was in favor.

the point is, most of us would be wrong, that is the gamble of players having a good yr, a yr past their prime, or anything.

it was a gamble well worth the outcome.