White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
Hmmm... the 40 is full before this signing. I wonder if there is another move in the works, or will the Sox just trim some more dead weight off the roster?

Short of making another trade, it wouldn't surprise me if they risk losing Wilkins through waivers, and if they don't lose him, just outright him to AAA.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
At this point, the Sox have two guys who will need to be platooned. Both Gillaspie and LaRoche should not face LHP.

Most of us assumed that Semien would share 3B, and I would guess that Viciedo would be first in line to take the RH tandem for LaRoche.

However, there may be more possibilities to emerge.

So the wish list is now down to an out fielder, who does not have to be left handed, at this point, a right handed starting pitcher, and a closer.

He's had less than 2 years worth of AB's in the majors. This is not a time to write a guy off and say he can't learn and improve.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
Big lefty from washington named Adam with big power and alot of K's, spent most of the career in the NL.

At least it's for only 2 years and less money this time.

(just kidding by the way just thought it was funny)

He actually doesn't K that much, below league average last year, withing ~2% points of league average each year with the Nats. His BB/K rate last year was super sexy: 14.0%/18.4%. He's been super consistent with the K's throughout his career, typically around 21-22%.

His first PA with the Sox will be only his 20th in the AL FWIW.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
This is nice. Does this mean the Q + prospects for Jay Bruce is off?

You would certainly have to assume so. The need for a left handed middle of the order bat has been filled.

Any outfielder whom the front office targets now, could bat either right or left handed. He will also likely be a more athletic, faster and better defensive player, not a plodding slugger like Bruce.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
He actually doesn't K that much, below league average last year, withing ~2% points of league average each year with the Nats. His BB/K rate last year was super sexy: 14.0%/18.4%. He's been super consistent with the K's throughout his career, typically around 21-22%.

His first PA with the Sox will be only his 20th in the AL FWIW.

I know. It was a comparison I just couldn't stop myself from laughing at.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
They have another $25M to spend. I would say the big signing hasn't come yet.

Despite a lot of message board posters asserting as fact what the payroll will be, they/we do not know. Why $25 and not $20 and not $30 and not $35?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
The first 2 moves of the offseason kinda make it feel like the Sox want to compete next year.

Agree and I still think they are planning on making a "splash" move as well. This is a very nice signing though. Decent AAV but for 2 years, limited risk and he should be a productive player who helps make us a much better team. Also fills a good need. I like this more then going 3 / 30 on Butler.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
Agree and I still think they are planning on making a "splash" move as well. This is a very nice signing though. Decent AAV but for 2 years, limited risk and he should be a productive player who helps make us a much better team. Also fills a good need. I like this more then going 3 / 30 on Butler.

Much better than Butler. Abreu is going to have to Dh when his dogs start barking. I don't think we would want to see Butler play a lot of 1B. LaRoche won a GG.

Edited by Dick Allen