Predict The Next Move

Dunt

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
I have a feeling that Mr. Reinsdorf has not spent all of the money that he is willing to spend. Their payroll may be at around $100 Million, but they don't

really have that much committed, longer term. Again, the only long term money that has been committed this off season is to Robertson and Duke.

Samardjiza is a one year (so far), and LaRoche is 2 years. The core is all still either a ways from free agency, or signed to team friendly deals.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Sox made one more big acquisition, that would represent a key core piece, for this 3 or 4 year "window"? Hey, if J. R. wants to

go for it, he can't continue to spend like the mid market teams. He was willing to take the payroll up to around $130 Million, as recently as 2011.

The revenues are higher, and teams are spending more now. He isn't getting any older, sees a division with no team uncatchable, and he has the nucleus of

a group that isn't that far away. While Sale, Q., "Shark", Abreu, Robertson, LaRoche are in the fold, this may be his best shot at winning another World Series,

providing he is willing to take that payroll back up to around $130 Million.

We have seen the front office cry poor, and then spend beyond expectations. I just have a hunch that we may be at such a juncture again. Well, I'm hoping, anyway.

I think they are pretty much up against their limit, you don't want to paint yourself into a corner and leave little room to operate in the summer if you need to make a move to push for the playoffs. If they can move the ~$20M that is owed Danks and Viciedo, they would have some room to play. Several teams have contacted the Rockies about Corey Dickerson, I would not be surprised if the Sox are trying to get involved there.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Scherzer is still the large, multicolored-eyed elephant in the room right now.

There were rumblings at the start of winter meetings that he could last until January/February when some GM finally goes to his owner and says "we can win the world series with this guy".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
There were rumblings at the start of winter meetings that he could last until January/February when some GM finally goes to his owner and says "we can win the world series with this guy".

I was speculating that perhaps this is, more or less, the thought process with Reinsdorf. What if he told the guys in the front office that he would let them take the payroll back up to around $100 Million, and

then see what kind of a team they had assembled, and how close they were to building a real contender? Once they had achieved that, he would keep an open mind about going over that mark,

providing they had a real chance to grab a "ring".

I always adhere to the principle that it's pitching that wins championships, and this team is now one more big RH starter from having the best pitching in baseball. That would be

a very strong argument to present to the Chairman of the Board: "Mr. Reinsdorf, we believe that we are one piece away from having the most dominating pitching in our Division, our League, and

all of baseball. If you are willing to spend the money to bring in Max Scherzer, we are confident that we can take "all the marbles". We have sufficiently upgraded the offense, to score enough runs to

win with our pitching. The bullpen is now solid, and should be able to preserve the wins that our dominating starters can earn. This may be an extraordinary opportunity to seriously contend, for the next

3 to 4 years"

I think that they would have a good argument, and I wouldn't be surprised if J. R. would agree. In other words, as "Balta" suggests; first you put together all of the rest of the pieces, and then if that

high priced free agent puts you over the top, you pull the trigger. Oh sure, there are still places that this team could upgrade, but no team is solid at every position. With that pitching, they would have

enough other pieces to win.

What team could compete with that rotation? Sale, Scherzer, Quintana and Samardjiza is as good of a balanced, dominating, 1 - 4 pitching staff as I can ever remember.

By next year, Rodon should be a fixture, so that resigning Samardjiza would not be critical. And finally, remember that these long term contracts can be moved, especially if they are

constructed properly. Of course, that is providing the player doesn't get injured or suddenly lose his ability to perform.

Well, we can dream can't we?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
Sox have been quiet for a while. Wonder if Hahn is working on something or waiting to see what happens today.

Yeah its been a whole 48 hrs...what is Hahn asleep at the wheel?!?!?!

On a serious note, I think the Dodgers and Red Sox still line up best if Hahn plans to make another trade. If we can get 1 of Crawford, Eithier, Victorino, or Nava for a reasonable $ amount while giving up very little talent its a big win for us. Those guys have no spot on their current teams and all would be a big upgrade in LF for us, just have to figure how to make the $ work with the Dodgers or wait for the Red Sox to dump their guys for nothing.

seeing all the activity that has happen these past few days, got me thinking. the

shift has been made and esp in the NL. since yesterday when some reporter

mention that Cincy may start to trade their assets. I am looking and I think,

Cincy and the Sox may line up nicely. now, if anything does happen, it will be

after this week. but I am wondering of the cost of what Cincy will look at and

how will they start trading those assets.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
seeing all the activity that has happen these past few days, got me thinking. the

shift has been made and esp in the NL. since yesterday when some reporter

mention that Cincy may start to trade their assets. I am looking and I think,

Cincy and the Sox may line up nicely. now, if anything does happen, it will be

after this week. but I am wondering of the cost of what Cincy will look at and

how will they start trading those assets.

They traded the assets they had with Latos and Simon, I don't think they would be selling any other parts.

Regarding the need to fill the hole in LF, my suggestion is to resist the temptation to sign a free agent, such as Melky Cabrera. There are a few teams that have acquired additional outfielders,

and now find themselves wanting to shed one from their roster. That list may grow, and offer someone whom the Sox could pick up in a minor trade. A guy like Victorino would be ideal, as he

is not signed beyond this season. Of course, the prospect of Boston moving him, now that Cespedes has been traded, is diminished. I think that the organization is still hoping that Davidson will

eventually emerge as a viable solution to the opening in Left. We don't need to seek a long term fix, and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 12:18 AM)
Regarding the need to fill the hole in LF, my suggestion is to resist the temptation to sign a free agent, such as Melky Cabrera. There are a few teams that have acquired additional outfielders,

and now find themselves wanting to shed one from their roster. That list may grow, and offer someone whom the Sox could pick up in a minor trade. A guy like Victorino would be ideal, as he

is not signed beyond this season. Of course, the prospect of Boston moving him, now that Cespedes has been traded, is diminished. I think that the organization is still hoping that Davidson will

eventually emerge as a viable solution to the opening in Left. We don't need to seek a long term fix, and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

you do have a point about more players being avail. i do like Victorino, but his contract

is something i really don't like.

;)

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
you do have a point about more players being avail. i do like Victorino, but his contract

It's one year, who cares? And, again, if you make a qualifying offer, at the end of the season, you get a draft pick.

I'd love a one year rental. Such a player would likely not cost much in trade "chips" either.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)

The contract is fine. It's 1 year, just what we need. You don't want anything long for a 34 year old

Sox don't need more long term contracts. It will reduce their leverage to make later improvements.

If he's real cheap - I'd consider it.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
;)

It's one year, who cares? And, again, if you make a qualifying offer, at the end of the season, you get a draft pick.

I'd love a one year rental. Such a player would likely not cost much in trade "chips" either.

that would be a huge overpay for victorino to make qualifying offer, probably in the 16mil rage next year. He'd snap it up, and if he didn't nobody would be willing to pay him big money plus give up the draft pick for an aging, average player.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
that would be a huge overpay for victorino to make qualifying offer, probably in the 16mil rage next year. He'd snap it up, and if he didn't nobody would be willing to pay him big money plus give up the draft pick for an aging, average player.

Agree - no way Victorino nets a QO

Sox should be willing to get/sell him for his contract and a C prospect.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
Agree - no way Victorino nets a QO

Sox should be willing to get/sell him for his contract and a C prospect.

And that's all it should take if we aren't asking for any $ back. Give them Mike Recchia and Jason Coats or something like that and I'm sure they would jump at it to rid themselves of the contract. The whole question with Victorino is how his medicals look. 34 year olds with bad backs are scary. But if our doctors feel ok with his back I would have no problem with him in LF for 1 year. Who cares about the $13M? That's JR's problem and it wouldn't affect the team what so ever for the future.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
And that's all it should take if we aren't asking for any $ back. Give them Mike Recchia and Jason Coats or something like that and I'm sure they would jump at it to rid themselves of the contract. The whole question with Victorino is how his medicals look. 34 year olds with bad backs are scary. But if our doctors feel ok with his back I would have no problem with him in LF for 1 year. Who cares about the $13M? That's JR's problem and it wouldn't affect the team what so ever for the future.

Victorino and eaton are sure bets to get hurt next year wether it's a 15 day dl stints or day to days etc they just can't play a whole season. Then what happens? Especially if it's at the same time. Some combination of danks,Leaury, campana, viciedo?

Allow me to retract my suggestion of making a qualified offer to Victorino, should he be acquired. I didn't realize that it would require a price tag of $16 Million.

I agree, that it wouldn't make sense to do that, as he would almost certainly take it, which would be a mistake for the Sox. Nevertheless, I'd take him for one

year, at his current salary, if it didn't cost the White Sox any significant talent.

The larger point is the desirability of someone like him, with only a year or two left on his contract, who might be able to be acquired, without sacrificing a draft pick, and might even net one, when he walked.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
Victorino and eaton are sure bets to get hurt next year wether it's a 15 day dl stints or day to days etc they just can't play a whole season. Then what happens? Especially if it's at the same time. Some combination of danks,Leaury, campana, viciedo?

It's a fair question, can't say I have the answer either. Would probably require us to carry a better 4th OF that isn't currently on our roster.

I personally would actually prefer a trade for Daniel Nava. Probably would take only a slightly better package to get him and he's cheaper and under control for 3 years.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
It's a fair question, can't say I have the answer either. Would probably require us to carry a better 4th OF that isn't currently on our roster.

I personally would actually prefer a trade for Daniel Nava. Probably would take only a slightly better package to get him and he's cheaper and under control for 3 years.

With our current bench situation, and with Hahn acquiring a LFer (FA or trade ) , am I crazy for thinking that if no one offers anything that can help this team, for viciedo, that were better off keeping him as a back up OFer/dh?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
With our current bench situation, and with Hahn acquiring a LFer (FA or trade ) , am I crazy for thinking that if no one offers anything that can help this team, for viciedo, that were better off keeping him as a back up OFer/dh?

Because someone invariably will get injured and JR isn't going to sit through 350 Jordan Danks ab's.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)

Just tough to do because of how much of liability he is defensively. You really can't even count him as a 4th OF. You would also have to acquire a LF that can play CF well if Eaton misses time. If we literally can't get anything I would keep him rather than DFA him, but I think it's better for both our team and Viciedo to part ways at this point. Hopefully some team gets desperate for a power source and gives a bull pen arm for Viciedo.