Predict The Next Move

Dunt

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
Never thought I would see the day where Beckham would be an ideal bench guy on this team. He can play 2b and SS and hits lefties well

3B more than SS. I know the Angels played him at 3rd. Not sure he played any SS but he could do it.

I just looked up Gordons career splits as a 3rd baseman. Not too shabby .

460 AB's

15 HR's

.349 OBP

.461 Slg.

.273 BA.

I'd take that kind of line from Conor this year in a heartbeat.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Wow really? How does Beckham playing at 2B possibly have that much effect on his hitting?

It's also irrelevant because he was a much better hitter earlier in his career, when he was playing 3B, but not so much recently.

I think you answered your own question.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
Wow really? How does Beckham playing at 2B possibly have that much effect on his hitting?

It's also irrelevant because he was a much better hitter earlier in his career, when he was playing 3B, but not so much recently.

Even last year albeit in a very small sample size (28 AB's) he did this .321 BA .367 OBP .464 SLG. .831 OPS at 3rd base.

Just saying he wouldn't be the worst choice ever for backup INF. The Sox always pretty much kept him at 2nd trying to let him develop . But now that expectations have been lowered considerably, they could use him all over the INF.

I still think the majority of casual Sox fans really like him.

He's FA right ,so wouldn't have to deal with paying for his arbitration years either. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
There has been very little talked about the catcher they picked up from Marlins.

What happens to Nieto, after spending a full year with the major league team they send him down to minors? Does he have to clear waivers?

Nieto should have options remaining and therefore should be able to be sent down without clearing waivers

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
Yes. I saw that. That's 28 at bats.

It's better than a line of .150 .250. 350. .450 :P . Beside 2nd base is now the Sox biggest area of concern in the lineup. Doesn't hurt to have more competition to push the youngsters to play their best. Sanchez is really sucking in the winter league after his winter league play last year propelled him into a good season in the minors which led to his call up.

Nieto should have options remaining and therefore should be able to be sent down without clearing waivers

He has all three option years remaining. He was never on anybody's 40 man roster until the Sox picked him in last winter's Rule V draft and he stayed on the Sox all season.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
It's better than a line of .150 .250. 350. .450 :P . Beside 2nd base is now the Sox biggest area of concern in the lineup. Doesn't hurt to have more competition to push the youngsters to play their best. Sanchez is really sucking in the winter league after his winter league play last year propelled him into a good season in the minors which led to his call up.

I don't mind bring Beckham back as a reserve at all, but if we are starting him over Gillaspie for whatever reason, I think that's bad news for us.

To the pro-Saladino crowd, I like him as much as the next guy and I was hoping he gets called up last September before he got hurt. But if we are penciling in a guy who's coming off TJS and never played in the majors before as our primary backup infielder, we are digging a big hole for ourselves.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
To the pro-Saladino crowd, I like him as much as the next guy and I was hoping he gets called up last September before he got hurt. But if we are penciling in a guy who's coming off TJS and never played in the majors before as our primary backup infielder, we are digging a big hole for ourselves.

"Primary backup infielder" wouldn't be a problem role for Saladino, even if he hit poorly, defense and flexibility would be tolerable. The problem is that we still have those couple guys with major platoon splits - LaRoche and Gillaspie, where you'd want the guy on the bench to be more than a backup.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
He has all three option years remaining. He was never on anybody's 40 man roster until the Sox picked him in last winter's Rule V draft and he stayed on the Sox all season.

I'm thinking he's still the best choice for backup C as we sit here today, so the options may not matter a whole lot. Of course, that could change. Let's hope he's taken a step forward.

A more experienced backup might be a "finishing touch" type of move for this offseason.

I'm thinking he's still the best choice for backup C as we sit here today, so the options may not matter a whole lot. Of course, that could change. Let's hope he's taken a step forward.

A more experienced backup might be a "finishing touch" type of move for this offseason.

If the Sox view Nieto as a potential starting catcher down the road, then he needs to be starting 100+ games in the minors instead of being a backup for Flowers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
"Primary backup infielder" wouldn't be a problem role for Saladino, even if he hit poorly, defense and flexibility would be tolerable. The problem is that we still have those couple guys with major platoon splits - LaRoche and Gillaspie, where you'd want the guy on the bench to be more than a backup.

How does TJS Impact his ability to not only play, but to learn 3B? He's only played a total of 3 games there in the minors. In that role, he'd be asked to play there against most LH SP's.

The bigger elephant in the room is he most likely won't be ready by ST.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 10m10 minutes ago

Hawk Harrelson with some bold predictions. And says #WhiteSox aren't done making moves. http://bit.ly/1yR3lVi

Hawk hinting at a couple more moves? Interesting lol. I'm thinking Castro.

If Hawk's this excited, it must mean Beckham's coming back.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 10m10 minutes ago

Hawk Harrelson with some bold predictions. And says #WhiteSox aren't done making moves. http://bit.ly/1yR3lVi

Hawk hinting at a couple more moves? Interesting lol. I'm thinking Castro.

There's also that corresponding roster move that Bucket hinted at last night.

Edited by Jose Abreu