Kenny Wiliams is excited

southsider2k5

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
I would be excited with that 3-4-5. Would cost less too I'm sure as they would love to get rid of his contract (and we have room to take it). What do you think it would take to get Kemp, assuming we are willing to take on the full contract to give up lesser talent?

I'm guessing a trade might look something like Alexei and Danks for Kemp and Van Slyke? Just a stab in the dark is all. If there was no exchange of money in the deal, the Sox end up with 3-4M more to spend this winter and that doesn't include saving another 4M from trading Tank or DFA him. The Sox could potentially end up with another 25-30M to spare after a deal like that and could be spent on adding another starter and reliever, possibly more depending on the cost of the starter.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm really hoping it's Kemp. Crawford/Eithier are good players but not something to get overly excited about. Kemp however would make me real excited. If he stays healthy he has a chance to play at an MVP level.

Eaton-Semien-Abreu-Laroach-Kemp-Gillaspie-Garcia-Flowers-Sanchez/Johnson/Saladino (Assuming it takes Lexi+ to get him) would be pretty damn sexy. Esp. if Semien can finally figure it out at the big league level and starts getting on base more consistently.

Damn sexy indeed!

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Seems like the problem with Kemp is that he played atrociously, unfathomably bad defense last year. Like, Adam Dunn kind of numbers in the advanced fielding metrics

This is true, but some of the other options on the market are worse. Markakis, Hunter, Joyce, Bruce, Cruz, Rios, and Morse all graded worse....(I'm not sure what to really look at in defensive metrics so I just look at "Def" which I assume to be an accumulative stat).

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Our rebuild was going swimmingly until KW started making comments to the media. Next thing we know, we're wasting money on a 35 year old platoon player with no defensive value. Not a coincidence, that.

The difference here is the Sox are no longer rebuilding.

Edited by scs787

Right...the offseason is over and we have no money left.

Who knows what will happen in the future? The fact remains that we are a long ways away from 90 wins, and the LaRoche signing is a luxury rather than a necessity. We're installing a jacuzzi before fixing the foundation.

Edited by Andy the Clown

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Who knows what will happen in the future? The fact remains that we are a long ways away from 90 wins, and the LaRoche signing is a luxury rather than a necessity. We're installing a jacuzzi before fixing the foundation.

You are judging the whole house before the foundation has been built. The proper time for such criticism is after the Sox break camp and head to their first major league game in 2015. The roster isn't anywhere close to being set.

You are judging the whole house before the foundation has been built. The proper time for such criticism is after the Sox break camp and head to their first major league game in 2015. The roster isn't anywhere close to being set.

I don't disagree. But what happens if the cost of the jacuzzi prevents the foundation from being addressed?

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
I don't disagree. But what happens if the cost of the jacuzzi prevents the foundation from being addressed?

I actually totally agree with your sentiment but am myself reserving judgment until we see how this all plays out. Perhaps there are moves in store to trade contracts (Danks) freeing up money for other moves? We don't yet know.

I guess I trust that Hahn has a plan and I don't want to judge it until I see it all play out.

I actually totally agree with your sentiment but am myself reserving judgment until we see how this all plays out. Perhaps there are moves in store to trade contracts (Danks) freeing up money for other moves? We don't yet know.

I guess I trust that Hahn has a plan and I don't want to judge it until I see it all play out.

Fair enough. That's reasonable.

QUOTE (Realfan @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)

We'll said!

Also, DH/ #4 hitter behind Abreu was a pretty big hole that needed to be filled and has been taken care of. LaRoche didn't cost a compensation pick to sign, he's a player the Sox didn't have to trade prospects for and overall should give the Sox a rather nice upgrade over Dunn for a cheaper price without a long term commitment. This is a very good fit for the Sox.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
We'll said!

Also, DH/ #4 hitter behind Abreu was a pretty big hole that needed to be filled and has been taken care of. LaRoche didn't cost a compensation pick to sign, he's a player the Sox didn't have to trade prospects for and overall should give the Sox a rather nice upgrade over Dunn for a cheaper price without a long term commitment. This is a very good fit for the Sox.

The nice thing about the LaRoche move (granted I'm mixed on it overall) is that it only cost money. No compensation pick, no trade, just cash and a roster spot (of which the Sox have plenty of fat to cut from).

Bigger moves that might immediately improve the team more at the MLB will cost probably quite a bit more cash and/or MiLB talent.

It's totally the time to just step back and enjoy the ride if you're a Sox fan. This is going to be a busy offseason, judging the LaRoche move in itself is rather uninspiring, but if it's part of a series of moves, then it could turn out well.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
The nice thing about the LaRoche move (granted I'm mixed on it overall) is that it only cost money. No compensation pick, no trade, just cash and a roster spot (of which the Sox have plenty of fat to cut from).

Bigger moves that might immediately improve the team more at the MLB will cost probably quite a bit more cash and/or MiLB talent.

It's totally the time to just step back and enjoy the ride if you're a Sox fan. This is going to be a busy offseason, judging the LaRoche move in itself is rather uninspiring, but if it's part of a series of moves, then it could turn out well.

Yes sir. I did not have big expectations with having so many holes to fill but the FO is showing they mean business and look like they may make me eat my skeptical words I've written so far this off season and I will happily gobble them up like pacman. I have a more positive outlook already. :D

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
We need:

A starting OF

An above average 3B

Two quality SPs

Another RP

Backup catcher

So I disagree.

Like others have said and like dayan just posted the Sox are far from done I'd say.

Gillaspie almost deserves another chance so I'd somewhat disagree in the NEED for a 3B. The opportunity to upgrade is there though.

Hahn has already said he's not done playing in the RP market so I'm not worried about that.

We've been connected to Melky so they're obviously looking to add an OFer so I'm not worried about that. Push comes to shove Tank isn't an awful bat to have in the lineup though.

Backup catcher is not really a significant add so I'm not worried about that.

2 SPs is certainly debatable. We know they're looking for a RHSP. Sale-Q-RHSP and some combo of Danks/Noesi/Bassitt should be fine until Rodon is ready. Assuming Rodon pitches like we're all hoping he pitches, Sale-Q-Rodon could be a real solid combo come playoff time.

Push comes to shove Tank isn't an awful bat to have in the lineup though.

2 SPs is certainly debatable. We know they're looking for a RHSP. Sale-Q-RHSP and some combo of Danks/Noesi/Bassitt should be fine until Rodon is ready. Assuming Rodon pitches like we're all hoping he pitches, Sale-Q-Rodon could be a real solid combo come playoff time.

Viciedo is one of the worst players in the game. There is so much evidence that documents his sorriness that it is beyond dispute. If he is in line for significant playing time next summer, RH will have failed his offseason report card.

In the rotation, Sale, Q, and Noesi (at #4) are givens. Rodon will likely start the year in the minors. That means we have two slots open. Danks should be either dumped or in the pen.

Edited by Andy the Clown

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
Viciedo is one of the worst players in the game. There is so much evidence that documents his sorriness that it is beyond dispute. If he is in line for significant playing time next summer, RH will have failed his offseason report card.

In the rotation, Sale, Q, and Noesi (at #4) are givens. Rodon will likely start the year in the minors. That means we have two slots open. Danks should be either dumped or in the pen.

You seem fairly level headed, so level head yourself on the La Roche move. The Sox have quite a bit of money to spend and this move probably signals they are ready to spend more of it. If they don't make any other moves to improve the MLB talent after this then yea, it's a real head scratcher.

But if La Roche is mashing RHP in July and the Sox suck anyways he'll be good trade bait.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)

Just like there's plenty of evidence Me.Cabrera isn't very good defensively and only put up positive OPS/RC numbers around the time in his career when he began to take the peds and fabricate alibis.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)

In the end I think Tank talk will be irrelevant anyway.

Highly doubt Danks gets put in the pen. He's either moved or is the 5th starter. As a 5th starter you can do much worse than a guy who's capable of giving you strong innings a good deal of the time. With Rodon eventually coming up I highly doubt they invest "big" on a starter who will eventually be replaced. That's why I think a guy like Bassitt will start the year in the rotation then eventually move to the pen

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
In the end I think Tank talk will be irrelevant anyway.

Highly doubt Danks gets put in the pen. He's either moved or is the 5th starter. As a 5th starter you can do much worse than a guy who's capable of giving you strong innings a good deal of the time. With Rodon eventually coming up I highly doubt they invest "big" on a starter who will eventually be replaced. That's why I think a guy like Bassitt will start the year in the rotation then eventually move to the pen

I hope you're not suggesting a Sale, Quintana, Bassitt, Noesi, & Danks rotation to start the year.