Kenny Wiliams is excited

southsider2k5

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
I hope you're not suggesting a Sale, Quintana, Bassitt, Noesi, & Danks rotation to start the year.

Nope. In the previous post I already said that I'm not worried about them not adding another RHSP. So Sale-Q-FA-Danks-Noesi/Bassitt.

So really, as a Danks supporter, when it comes time for Rodon to come up we could have 2 guys in excess so I can see where you though I suggested that.

Danks or Noesi would have to be traded (Longer you hold onto Danks the less you have to chip into to make it work) or moved to the pen. I really think Sale-Q-FA-Rodon-Danks/Noesi/Bassitt/Beck/EJ would be a strong rotation.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
I think they will add one more SP. Maybe an upside arm for Tank

If we're serious about competing next year, we really need to add a legit #3 starter or better. Rodon, Noesi, & Danks can fill those last two spots IMO, but we another guy at the top with Sale & Quintana that we can rely on.

Just like there's plenty of evidence Me.Cabrera isn't very good defensively and only put up positive OPS/RC numbers around the time in his career when he began to take the peds and fabricate alibis.

Worrying about a LFers defense is like critiquing the intelligence of a beauty pageant contestant. If he can hit, nobody cares.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
I hope you're not suggesting a Sale, Quintana, Bassitt, Noesi, & Danks rotation to start the year.

I could totally see the White Sox doing this, but it depends on how much they really believe in Bassitt. he wouldn't be the only guy in that rotation who spent very little time in AA and up before being tossed into the big league team. I wouldn't do it, but it would fit with the way the Sox act.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
Worrying about a LFers defense is like critiquing the intelligence of a beauty pageant contestant. If he can hit, nobody cares.

The Kansas City Royals made their run this year in no small part based on the strength of their OF defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:43 PM)
I could totally see the White Sox doing this, but it depends on how much they really believe in Bassitt. he wouldn't be the only guy in that rotation who spent very little time in AA and up before being tossed into the big league team. I wouldn't do it, but it would fit with the way the Sox act.

Been saying this since he got called up.

An earlier report said the Sox are looking to bring in a RHSP so I doubt it happens but I for one wouldn't think it'd be that bad of a thing.

Or say they do trade Danks, I could see Sale-Q-RHSP-Noesi-Bassitt with Bassitt (Or Noesi if he bombs) moving to the pen once Rodon is ready.

If they don't think Bassitt is ready to fill that role and they do trade Danks then I could see them going after a Morrow, Villanueva, or a Franklin Morales to fill that void of a guy who starts in the rotation then is moved to the pen.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
Been saying this since he got called up.

An earlier report said the Sox are looking to bring in a RHSP so I doubt it happens but I for one wouldn't think it'd be that bad of a thing.

Or say they do trade Danks, I could see Sale-Q-RHSP-Noesi-Bassitt with Bassitt (Or Noesi if he bombs) moving to the pen once Rodon is ready.

If they don't think Bassitt is ready to fill that role and they do trade Danks then I could see them going after a Morrow, Villanueva, or a Franklin Morales to fill that void of a guy who starts in the rotation then is moved to the pen.

I cannot see them trading Danks. There's just no reason to believe they're going to do that, especially now that we just filled the need of a LH bat. Coop still talks him up, he's one of our veterans, his contract is hard to move, and there's just very little reason to do a bad contract for bad contract swap after the moves we just made.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
I cannot see them trading Danks. There's just no reason to believe they're going to do that, especially now that we just filled the need of a LH bat. Coop still talks him up, he's one of our veterans, his contract is hard to move, and there's just very little reason to do a bad contract for bad contract swap after the moves we just made.

The only way Danks gets traded is if we either package him with Alexei and we add Danks instead of getting a bigger return (and I don't think that will happen) or if Danks gets dealt in a bad contract for bad contract type of deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
The only way Danks gets traded is if we either package him with Alexei and we add Danks instead of getting a bigger return (and I don't think that will happen) or if Danks gets dealt in a bad contract for bad contract type of deal.

I could see the bad contract for bad contract swap if we still needed the lefty and Ethier might have made sense, but now that we don't desperately need a middle of the order lefty, its just hard to see any obvious match. We don't need an overpaid right fielder nearly as badly now and clearing Danks only makes sense if we're going to easily replace him in the rotation, which isn't going to be cheap anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)

And I of course am fine with this, but I was just hypothetically speaking to appease to those that want Danks gone. I've said many a times that I think Danks is more than fine as a 4/5 starter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
Maybe Erik Johnson looks like he was supposed to look this year, in 2015.

Obviously can't count him doing so but it's certainly possible and would provide even more depth should Danks completely fall off or Noesi doesn't continue to look like he belongs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
I could see the bad contract for bad contract swap if we still needed the lefty and Ethier might have made sense, but now that we don't desperately need a middle of the order lefty, its just hard to see any obvious match. We don't need an overpaid right fielder nearly as badly now and clearing Danks only makes sense if we're going to easily replace him in the rotation, which isn't going to be cheap anyway.

But we do need an outfielder. And that may prove the best way to get one when you think about what we actually have to offer. We have cash. We are not looking to unload our top prospects. We have Dayan Viciedo. We have potentially an extra second baseman (Sanchez/Semien) and if you consider Danks, Noesi, and Bassit to be pretty comparable at this point we have an extra back of rotation starter (assuming we sign an FA starter).

Ya, I continue to support Danks, but I'd still be open to Eithier for Danks if the Dodgers are open to it.

Eaton-Semien-Abreu-LaRoach-Garcia-Eithier-Ramirez-Gillaspie-Flowers looks real nice.

Sale-Q-RHSP-Noesi-Bassitt then Sale-Q-RHSP-Rodon-Noesi/Bassitt post ASB or sooner.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
Ya, I continue to support Danks, but I'd still be open to Eithier for Danks if the Dodgers are open to it.

Eaton-Semien-Abreu-LaRoach-Garcia-Eithier-Ramirez-Gillaspie-Flowers looks real nice.

Sale-Q-RHSP-Noesi-Bassitt then Sale-Q-RHSP-Rodon-Noesi/Bassitt post ASB or sooner.

That rotation is a bit scary, IMO. Would really need to see what kind of bullpen they field before I could feel comfortable about calling this team a "contender".

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
That rotation is a bit scary, IMO. Would really need to see what kind of bullpen they field before I could feel comfortable about calling this team a "contender".

The way they're going, they're setting themselves up to "be a contender if everything goes right", which is what I thought they'd be able to do if they set a payroll limit in the $80-90 million range. I'm pretty ok with that. They can fill their holes at that payroll level and say they have a shot at contending if everything goes right but without leaving themselves unable to make major moves in 2016 if things do go wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
The way they're going, they're setting themselves up to "be a contender if everything goes right", which is what I thought they'd be able to do if they set a payroll limit in the $80-90 million range. I'm pretty ok with that. They can fill their holes at that payroll level and say they have a shot at contending if everything goes right but without leaving themselves unable to make major moves in 2016 if things do go wrong.

Ultimately, I think this team will be closer to $100M in payroll this year. Just a gut feeling, there. They will need more than Sale & Q plus a below average bullpen to contend, IMO. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Sale/Q/FA/ and Danks/Noesi/Bassit/Johnson/Rienzo unless they pen was above average.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:12 PM)

Good points and it allows them to add a bit of payroll at the trade deadline if they are contenders which is always a good idea.