Kenny Wiliams is excited

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
I could see the bad contract for bad contract swap if we still needed the lefty and Ethier might have made sense, but now that we don't desperately need a middle of the order lefty, its just hard to see any obvious match. We don't need an overpaid right fielder nearly as badly now and clearing Danks only makes sense if we're going to easily replace him in the rotation, which isn't going to be cheap anyway.

Could Alexei + Danks net Kemp + a better than lottery ticket prospect, or Kemp + two or three lottery tickets? That just seems like a match that makes sense to me. The Sox lower their payroll obligation, acquire a middle of the order OF bat (who would essentially be paid 4/30), and rid themselves of Danks, allowing Bassit and Noesi starting opportunities. Meanwhile, the Dodgers get an upgrade at SS and the back end of the rotation starter they're looking for, not to mention clearing their OF logjam. Is it just me, or does that make a lot of sense for both sides and seem like a reasonable deal?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dam8610' 22, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Could Alexei + Danks net Kemp + a better than lottery ticket prospect, or Kemp + two or three lottery tickets? That just seems like a match that makes sense to me. The Sox lower their payroll obligation, acquire a middle of the order OF bat (who would essentially be paid 4/30), and rid themselves of Danks, allowing Bassit and Noesi starting opportunities. Meanwhile, the Dodgers get an upgrade at SS and the back end of the rotation starter they're looking for, not to mention clearing their OF logjam. Is it just me, or does that make a lot of sense for both sides and seem like a reasonable deal?

I'd like that deal. We are probably not going to get a package of prospects like everyone thinks but I think I'd rather have a legit player who can help us the next 5 seasons

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
Ultimately, I think this team will be closer to $100M in payroll this year. Just a gut feeling, there. They will need more than Sale & Q plus a below average bullpen to contend, IMO. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Sale/Q/FA/ and Danks/Noesi/Bassit/Johnson/Rienzo unless they pen was above average.

When I said the phrase "If everything goes right" that includes the bullpen. At this point with Duke, everyone would agree there's some talent in the bullpen, including young talent. We may not have an obvious closer unless Jones is Healthy so there's still a need there, but we've got a bullpen that has talent but needs stuff to go right. If stuff goes right, this can be an above average bullpen.

We still have some holes to fill with tolerable players, and IMO the most important of those is to figure out the corner OF mess and I can't believe Viciedo will be offered arbitration. But we're on a path that could work if stuff goes right...which will leave a lot to me depending on the coaching staff and how the team comes together.

Of course, I have zero confidence in our manager, but that's another story.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)

I can't see any way on Earth that "someone taking on matt kemp" involves lowering the payroll obligation of anyone other than the Dodgers.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)

We have discussed this at great length, in the thread entitled; "Dodgers Aggressively Pursuing Alexei". You might find the thread interesting.

The problem with the trade you are proposing is that the Dodgers do not need Danks, and are trying to reduce payroll.

I think L. A. may indeed be willing to trade Kemp for Alexei, as they would acquire their stop gap SS, clear some payroll, and break up their outfield logjam.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
Think he means for next 2 seasons as Kemp is making less than Danks and Alexei combined

But do the math. Danks has $29 million on his contract, Alexei has $20 million on his assuming option picked up, Kemp has $107 million remaining. Taking on Matt Kemp is an enormous salary boost for the long term.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:13 PM)
I can't see any way on Earth that "someone taking on matt kemp" involves lowering the payroll obligation of anyone other than the Dodgers.

Technically, for the next 2 years anyway, if they do Danks and Lexi thats 25.75M and Kemp is 21M the next 2 years. So you're technically saving the money they paid Duke while also adding a left fielder.

But then you're also in the market for yet another SP UNLESS they're cool with Bassitt getting innings till Rodon is ready.

In the long run though you're losing money.