Yoenis Cespedes traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
If Bogaerts and Cespedes are the throw-ins to go along with Pedroia and Owens, then sure, that's plenty reasonable.

I still wouldn't even accept that :D but that's really because I'm not trading Sale for anyone not named Mike Trout, Clayton Kershaw, or Giancarlo Stanton

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Steer clear of twitter for a little while. Seems like every Boston fan in sight is talking about a Bogaerts and Cespedes for Sale and trying to pass it off as reasonable.

:lol:

Talk about delusional! Even cub fans have more sense than that and they have no sense at all!

I'm still laughing!

Judging by the comments, this will not go over well but if someone is willing to trade me Cespedes and Bogaerts plus another throw in (Nava?, Middlebrooks?) for Sale, I make that trade all day long. I then immediately have SS solved for the next 6+ years and I work to sign Cespedes for a longer term deal. I also then flip Alexi to Seattle/LA/NYM or anyone else for 2 young controllable pitchers with upside and grab Headley to play 3B.

Every time I watch Sale pitch with the torque he puts on that arm, all I hear is tick...tick...tick... The guy is bound to breakdown and this years stint on the DL for a month is where he is unfortunately likely headed in the years to come. Sell high and solve for 2-4 needs at once for the price of a 12 win pitcher who - while a stud ace when healthy - is a high risk player. Don't think so? Just 2 years ago, the W Sox were going to make him a reliever to save his arm, remember? And if you don't like what Boston has to offer, I'd put it out there are the GM meetings in December that all but Abreu are available so make an offer. Sale is never going to be more valuable than now and our team needs multiple solutions, not just one.

Am I in the minority - absolutely. Do I hope Sale can stay and give the W Sox an injury free HOF career - you bet. But as a 22+ year season ticket holder growing tired of watching the team finish out of the playoffs, I'd rather use our most valuable, yet risky piece to gain depth and improve the teams over all talent base.

PS - for the Cespedes haters, while yes he is overrated, last year only 9 players in the AL reached 100 RBI's in 2014 and Cespedes was one of them. That type of production is increasingly hard to come by so the comparisons with him and Viciedo need to really stop as it is not even close. Plus a middle of the line up with Abreu, Cespedes, La Roche, Headley, Garcia looks pretty good to me. Stick Eaton at leadoff and Bogaerts in the 2 hole and you are going to have a serious offense!

OK - now let me have it!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
If Bogaerts and Cespedes are the throw-ins to go along with Pedroia and Owens, then sure, that's plenty reasonable.

That would be terrible.

Sox should want on part of this Boston excess.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Judging by the comments, this will not go over well but if someone is willing to trade me Cespedes and Bogaerts plus another throw in (Nava?, Middlebrooks?) for Sale, I make that trade all day long.

That would be even worse. HOrrid.

Cespedes has a career OBP of .316 and plays lousy defense. We get him for 1 year (we can sign him, and I certainly hope we don't, without giving up anything in a year). He's the same profile as Viciedo, whom people loathe.

Bogaerts MAY solve something and he may not. He did bat to a .660 OBP after all.

Owens is another hyped up Boston prospect and is not elite, even after attaching Boston hype.

Middlebrooks hit a whopping .524 OPS last year.

Why do people want these RedSox discards?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Judging by the comments, this will not go over well but if someone is willing to trade me Cespedes and Bogaerts plus another throw in (Nava?, Middlebrooks?) for Sale, I make that trade all day long. I then immediately have SS solved for the next 6+ years and I work to sign Cespedes for a longer term deal. I also then flip Alexi to Seattle/LA/NYM or anyone else for 2 young controllable pitchers with upside and grab Headley to play 3B.

Every time I watch Sale pitch with the torque he puts on that arm, all I hear is tick...tick...tick... The guy is bound to breakdown and this years stint on the DL for a month is where he is unfortunately likely headed in the years to come. Sell high and solve for 2-4 needs at once for the price of a 12 win pitcher who - while a stud ace when healthy - is a high risk player. Don't think so? Just 2 years ago, the W Sox were going to make him a reliever to save his arm, remember? And if you don't like what Boston has to offer, I'd put it out there are the GM meetings in December that all but Abreu are available so make an offer. Sale is never going to be more valuable than now and our team needs multiple solutions, not just one.

Am I in the minority - absolutely. Do I hope Sale can stay and give the W Sox an injury free HOF career - you bet. But as a 22+ year season ticket holder growing tired of watching the team finish out of the playoffs, I'd rather use our most valuable, yet risky piece to gain depth and improve the teams over all talent base.

PS - for the Cespedes haters, while yes he is overrated, last year only 9 players in the AL reached 100 RBI's in 2014 and Cespedes was one of them. That type of production is increasingly hard to come by so the comparisons with him and Viciedo need to really stop as it is not even close. Plus a middle of the line up with Abreu, Cespedes, La Roche, Headley, Garcia looks pretty good to me. Stick Eaton at leadoff and Bogaerts in the 2 hole and you are going to have a serious offense!

OK - now let me have it!

all i will give you is, No.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)

OK - now let me have it!

I'm on record for being open to moving Sale, but it's not going to be for a prospect that has looked as lost as XB did last year....Cespedes is a nice piece but he's not in the same stratosphere of value as Sale is. I'd need to see one potential star player that has proven he can play at this level, another 2-3 outstanding pedigree prospects, and maybe a veteran or two (such as Cespedes).

We always have to listen...but as Hahn always says, it would have to be a Herschel Walker type trade.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)

OK - now let me have it!

Reasons for no:

1. Cespedes is way, way overrated. He is not necessarily a guy you even want to extend if his price is anywhere near what people are expecting

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

2. While Xander is undoubtedly valuable and people forget how young he is, he did NOT play well last year, and so his value did diminish a bit. He's still worth a ton, but he isn't the "untouchable top prospect" he was before

3. Injury prone or not, you rarely have the opportunity to acquire superstar even via free agency, and then, it is at bloated market rates and it is when the guy's best years are likely behind him. Everything you like about Sale is multiplied twice over by his contract and age. You cannot replace his contribution and still have any semblance of competitive advantage from a spending standpoint.

4. This organization is THIN on good pitching. I know that sounds weird to say, but if you remove Sale from that rotation, you don't even NEED Cespedes because you're bad. And you cannot afford to replace him with Scherzer or someone, because the only reason you can even HAVE Sale is that he comes at a low cost.

You can't move Sale. He's literally the ideal building block. Maybe you'd rather he be a position player, but if you aren't going to try to build around a 25-year old top 3 Cy Young finisher who is controllable for six years at bargain values, you need to get out of baseball. You're not trying to win at that point.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
It isn't actually a proposed trade, just Red Sox fans bulls***ting.

Cespedes makes no sense for the White Sox other than the fact that he's from Cuba.

Its a trade proposal by the fans and I agree that Cespedes makes no sense at all.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
Haha, yup that's me. There is a guy in this feed that thinks they can sign Sale....what?!?!

If Boston doesn't mind waiting until after the 2019 season when the Sox have finished exercising Sale's 18/19 options, then maybe they can. :P

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
The Red Sox probably have the bullets to get Chris Sale. Problem is, it would take every single one of them.

Boegaerts

Owens

Bradley

Cecchini

Betts

Raunado

Vazquez

Safe to say "it ain't happenin'".

And honestly, I would feel nervous about accepting that package. If I am the White Sox I am absolutely not trading Chris Sale without at least one young player with a solid minor league pedigree who has come up and played very well for a sustained period of time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
The thing to remember here is that if someone would have talked about us getting Boegarts and Middlebrooks in a deal as little as a year ago, it would have elicited a whole different reaction.

Look no further than our own Erik Johnson and Matt Davidson.

That's why I'd require at least one young player who's proven he can play here....

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)

OK - now let me have it!

I'm not even close to the type of fan that wouldn't trade Sale....I believe every player has a price and that isn't even remotely close to what Sale's price should be. What do we want Cespedes for? He can't hit and wants to be paid way more than he's worth. Bogart, Owens, Betts, and Ceccini would be the STARTING price. I'd also probably ask them to take Danks on as well.

I'm trying to think....has a top 5 pitcher ever been traded in their prime with multiple years left on their contract? The value of Sale should.be through the rough + some.

There is no logical reason to trade a future Cy Young award winner, who is arguably the best LH starter in the AL for a bunch of Red Sox players, who haven't made the cut with the Bosox. There are plenty of other options to fill our perceived needs then to trade someone you are trying to build around

With sales track record and how long he is under contract as well as the price you would have to basically completely drain a teams minor league prospects. The only team i would actually consider trading him to is the cubs and stealing all of their prospects. However with the cubs rebuilding they wouldnt offer we would demand a lot of big names bryant being one of them plus other prospects.

I am always open to trading players but for some i would only do it if we are basically robbing the other team.