Yoenis Cespedes traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
For context, Adam Eaton had a .763 OPS with 1 HR last season

Which was good for a wRC+ of 115. He was a good hitter too.

It was implied, though, that his .730 and .750 OPS were not good, but that provides no context at all. His wRC+ (or even his OPS+, though I feel wRC+ is better) adds contextual evidence to the statistic and let's us know how he was compared to the league average.

If he put up a .730 OPS 10 years ago, yes, it would have been bad. In today's game, it's perfectly acceptable.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
.763 OPS in CF is far more valuable than .751 OPS in LF, plus on top of that there is the difference in the defensive value of the two players.

For all intents and purposes, Eaton and Cespedes were equally valuable players last year production wise when they were on the field last year. Cespedes's fWAR was 3.4 and Eaton's 2.7, but their WAR/600's were 3.16 and 3.01 respectively, which leads us to believe that there is virtually no difference.

However, while I think Cespedes has peaked as a player, I believe there is a lot of room for improvement from Eaton. His base running numbers, despite his speed, were actually a negative last year despite a good speed rating. I'd blame this on overaggressiveness on the base paths both when stealing (15 of 24 in stolen bases) and getting thrown out trying to take an extra base. I recall off hand a game in Minnesota where he got a hit and tried to advance to 2B and the ball was cut off and he was thrown out. There was no need for him to go in that instance. I also feel it's very possible that his defense was underrated via UZR as DRS really liked him and scouting reports indicate he was above average.

If you asked me who I'd rather have moving forward, regardless of cost or service time, it would 100% be Eaton.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
If they do land Cueto somehow, they should be the favorite to win the AL.

Their OF is a disaster. Cepedes and Gose are not very good offensively and Martinez does not have the track record to back up what he did last season. In 552 AB's Gose is hitting .234/.301/.322, and Cespedes is a pretty much Viciedo offensively. They will be solid defensively across the OF, but I think they will need to make a move this summer to upgrade their offensive production.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Given the Tigers defense, Cespedes move is nice for them. Porcello is a nice get for the Red Sox though and I presume they will try to sign him to an extension. I wanted Cespedes on the southside but would not have been able to justify this type of price.

Are the Tigers really going with Greene and Porcello as their 4th/5th starters and an OF of Gose, Martinez, and Cespedes? Suddenly the Tigers don't seem as formidable.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
And look where its got them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Four consecutive division titles, that's pretty good in my book

Not to mention two World Series Appearances since '06, and an additional two ALCS appearances in that time frame.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
It seems substantially better than Danks and Noesi to me.

It doesn't to me. Simon periperhals aren't that good and he is heading into his age 34 season. Shane Green put up better numbers in the majors than he did the minors, so it seems to be a bit of fools gold there as I would expect him to regress into the pitcher that he has always been. Both the Yankees and Reds sold high on each of those guys and I think when they get to Detroit they will not be what they were last season. Noesi was really good in the minors before bouncing between roles in the majors, entering his age 28 season, he seems to have worked out a some of what has troubled him in the majors. I would say he is pretty comparable to Simon, but what he team had to give up to acquire each makes it much easier to replace Noesi if he does not click.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
I don't necessarily agree with this. I still think they're the favorite in the division and by quite a bit too.

what a trade, i think Det is a little worst than the day before. they lost a very

good pitcher. however, looking in the central division, they are still favorites.

the sox is gaining ground rather quickly.

Red Sox are putting together a very strong team. they have to be favorites

now coming out of the east. damn, good trading, it must be nice to have

the prospects to do that. ....... freaking KW!

Dodger looks to be the favorite coming out of the NL.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
what a trade, i think Det is a little worst than the day before. they lost a very

good pitcher. however, looking in the central division, they are still favorites.

the sox is gaining ground rather quickly.

Red Sox are putting together a very strong team. they have to be favorites

now coming out of the east. damn, good trading, it must be nice to have

the prospects to do that. ....... freaking KW!

Dodger looks to be the favorite coming out of the NL.

I think the Tigers are worse than they were last year, but that's because they are essentially replacing Porcello and Scherzer with Greene and Simon. From yesterday to today, assuming they knew they were not going to resign Scherzer, I think they've improved.

They are trying to sneak a few years in there before their window closes, and I think they're about 2 years from it closing shut.