Sox Sign David Robertson - 4 yr, $46 mil

Boopa1219

QUOTE (VAfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I think it's funny to see the transition on this post from when there was still speculation that we were close to signing Robertson, to after the news broke that he'd signed.

It was generally -- no, no, no, too much money ...

To -- yes, yes, yes! -- who cares about the money, it's not ours!

Sure that's a little overstated, but still, there's quite a contrast.

Count me among those thrilled by this move. I don't write on here that much anymore, but last season got quite a debate going for my post about whether the bullpen was Hahn's fault. If you flipped the KC bullpen for the Sox bullpen last year, we would have been in the race for a wild card slot, and we know how valuable those turned out to be. So it appears Mr. Hahn has learned his lesson and isn't willing to waste any more seasons trying to patch together a cheap bullpen. Hooray for that!

That's just fandom - for some, not all. I'm one who didn't want to pay Robertson, but now that he's ours I'm finding ways to rationalize it. We're inclined to be happy about things the Sox do because we devote so much time to following them. Otherwise we'd run into some bumpy cognitive dissonance.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
That's just fandom - for some, not all. I'm one who didn't want to pay Robertson, but now that he's ours I'm finding ways to rationalize it. We're inclined to be happy about things the Sox do because we devote so much time to following them. Otherwise we'd run into some bumpy cognitive dissonance.

I'll say this, I was someone who entered this offseason very scared that we were about to waste the next 2 years of a really great core of Abreu/Sale/Q. Others wanted to continue the build for a really strong 2018.

I'm happy with this because I did not want to see any more irrelevant seasons from one of the best sox hitters of last 10 years, best sox pitcher in who knows how long, and Q, who is great. You are great Q.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
I'll say this, I was someone who entered this offseason very scared that we were about to waste the next 2 years of a really great core of Abreu/Sale/Q. Others wanted to continue the build for a really strong 2018.

I'm happy with this because I did not want to see any more irrelevant seasons from one of the best sox hitters of last 10 years, best sox pitcher in who knows how long, and Q, who is great. You are great Q.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)

Good post. For all the $/WAR, budgeting, stat-inspecting, value-this-value-that talk that we do - and I love doing - on days like this I just get caught up in being a fan and getting excited about my team.

14-game plans coincidentally go on sale soon, and I'm probably gonna reward the team for making some noise.

We still have to significantly upgrade the defense. If we are going to build our team around the strength of pitching, we can't continue to ignore defense. Our team defense is just as bad today as it was when we started the off-season. That has to be addressed. Hanh / Kenny have to make another move and at a minimum we need a quality outfielder. Ideal scenario you get a quality outfielder and 3B and at that point, I say you are even favorites or close to even favorites. However, I doubt we have resources do to that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
We still have to significantly upgrade the defense. If we are going to build our team around the strength of pitching, we can't continue to ignore defense. Our team defense is just as bad today as it was when we started the off-season. That has to be addressed. Hanh / Kenny have to make another move and at a minimum we need a quality outfielder. Ideal scenario you get a quality outfielder and 3B and at that point, I say you are even favorites or close to even favorites. However, I doubt we have resources do to that.

I totally agree.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)

I think Rasmus makes sense now for LF. I am not a huge fan of him but I can see it from the Sox standpoint. An outfielder who plays good defense, left handed hitter, and hits righties pretty well.

If they can trade Viciedo, then Rasmus definitely could be in the fold.

Good point. I wonder if Headley is in consideration at all for 3B. Haven't heard his name much in connection to the Sox, and it seems like he'll get a pretty hefty deal. But he'd really shore up the D. A move of an OF is, or should be, a given.

That's why I would have loved Reddick so much. And one of the reasons I like Headley too but at this point I think Conor's our 3b and we're just going to have to upgrade in left. But who knows, Rick might have some trades up his sleeve to improve at both spots.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
That's why I would have loved Reddick so much. And one of the reasons I like Headley too but at this point I think Conor's our 3b and we're just going to have to upgrade in left. But who knows, Rick might have some trades up his sleeve to improve at both spots.

I don't think the Sox are sold on Connor as an everyday starter. I think they see value in him but would prefer him in a super utility role. He could probably play OF, 1B, 3B, and even a bit of 2B off the bench if you let him work on it. I am not saying he could play those positions well but could provide a lot of flexibility and you could leverage advantageous matchups.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
I don't think the Sox are sold on Connor as an everyday starter. I think they see value in him but would prefer him in a super utility role. He could probably play OF, 1B, 3B, and even a bit of 2B off the bench if you let him work on it. I am not saying he could play those positions well but could provide a lot of flexibility and you could leverage advantageous matchups.

I wonder if Hahn tried to get in on Donaldson when talking with Beane.

I'm surprised that this only got 13 pages- only about 8 of those reaction to the deal, especially considering that this signing is possibly the biggest we'll have this offseason. That being said, this is an overpay but I think it was necessary.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
I'm surprised that this only got 13 pages- only about 8 of those reaction to the deal, especially considering that this signing is possibly the biggest we'll have this season. That being said, this is an overpay but I think it was necessary.

If it wasn't for the Samardjiza stuff, this would be WAY longer.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
I'm surprised that this only got 13 pages- only about 8 of those reaction to the deal, especially considering that this signing is possibly the biggest we'll have this season. That being said, this is an overpay but I think it was necessary.

It was just swept away by the Samardzija undertow.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)

yeah, hopefully the Sox can score some runs for him so he can make the All-Star team next year and get some attention that he deserves. Q only pitched 7 games where he gave up 4 or more earned runs. that's 25 starts with 3 or less. his record should have been MUCH better than 9-11. smh

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
Have to say, these guys certainly don't like to lose...

But ick...that's a lot of money

You can't have it both ways. You either want a top if not the top reliever on the market for a big contract or you are ok with scrap heap hopes and dreams.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
You can't have it both ways. You either want a top if not the top reliever on the market for a big contract or you are ok with scrap heap hopes and dreams.

Understood, I guess I just didn't expect this to come so soon. Another year of seeing some of the kids might have changed our expectations of our needs moving forward, but hey, I'm all for pushing up the timeline to take advantage of Sale and Abreu while we can.

This

They are going after the luxuries before they have the necessities built. And you can't support this staff with another year of clown defense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
A couple of interesting stories...

Robertson's stuff looked at by Fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/david-rober...trange-arsenal/

Also, Robertson releases the ball 14 inches closer to home plate than the average pitcher

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/04/12/fastballs-trackman

For some reason, I always thought Robertson always threw hard. This deal actually makes me feel a lot better that he can fulfill the value of the contract relying on movement and not velocity.