Pirates could have interest in John Danks

southsider2k5

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pirates/...60165e7e1e.html

One interesting name that is being floated as a Pirates’ trade target is White Sox left-hander John Danks.

Though Danks was 11-11 with a 4.74 ERA in 32 regular-season starts last season, the 29-year-old would seemingly be another change-of-scenery pitcher who could be aided by coming to the Pirates and working with pitching coaches Ray Searage and Jim Beneditc.

Danks has $14.25-million salaries in each of the next two seasons, though, and is it doubtful the Pirates would make a deal unless the White Sox absorbed some of the money.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
Lol, nope. It is funny. It's not often we hear that a guy may benefit from getting away from Don Cooper.

True. however, no one coach can help everyone. Cooper does have an abrasive personality. I'm sure that rubs some players the wrong way. Can't help a person if he won't listen to you.

Man, people are down on Danks. He's overpaid, I get it. But he's a serviceable number 4, and that is something the Sox need. The Sox are currently a starter short as it is. Unless trading him directly facilitates another move, like signing Scherzer (or trading for and extending Samardzija)or something big, I don't see the point of the Sox paying half of Danks' salary to pitch for someone else while still looking for starting pitching themselves. If you pay $7 mil to trade him and sign Masterson for about $9 mil, you are increasing your payroll by about $2 million in 2015 and not really improving the team all that much anyway. Is that really worth it?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
Man, people are down on Danks. He's overpaid, I get it. But he's a serviceable number 4, and that is something the Sox need. The Sox are currently a starter short as it is. Unless trading him directly facilitates another move, like signing Scherzer (or trading for and extending Samardzija)or something big, I don't see the point of the Sox paying half of Danks' salary to pitch for someone else while still looking for starting pitching themselves. If you pay $7 mil to trade him and sign Masterson for about $9 mil, you are increasing your payroll by about $2 million in 2015 and not really improving the team all that much anyway. Is that really worth it?

No. That's why Danks doesn't go unless the sox get something useful in return, which seems unlikely. Danks will be on the sox.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)

Don't overlook the final 14.5 million in 2016

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)

But you weirdly left out who the Sox got in the Danks trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
lol. You expect a return for Danks at any price?

Any price? Yeah. He's a player who has value. He's a back of the rotation starter who can throw 200 innings, and in the National League, and in a park like PNC will put up numbers that look better than in Chicago last year. His salary is too high for what he'll provide. If the Sox paid a large portion of his salary they could get something useful.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
Any price? Yeah. He's a player who has value. He's a back of the rotation starter who can throw 200 innings, and in the National League, and in a park like PNC will put up numbers that look better than in Chicago last year. His salary is too high for what he'll provide. If the Sox paid a large portion of his salary they could get something useful.

If John Danks were a free agent, what would you expect him to sign for?

He hasn't thrown 200 innings since 2010. He hasn't had an era under 4.00 since 2010, even in the partial seasons. His velocity never has recovered. His 2014 was actually lower for average velocity than the year after his surgery.

I was on the Danks bandwagon for a while, but the guy has no value, at all. He had the nice flash at the end of the season after some mechanical changes, but I sure wouldn't be willing to pay anything of significance for that after his last four years.