Rumor: Dodgers / Sox Talking Danks for Crawford

Chisoxfn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Worth watching today w/White Sox ... talks w/Dodgers. They talked Matt Kemp but both Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford fit w/LAD paying $$$.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/542365147734360065

I realize all three are owed a lot of money. Which one would be be the best for the Sox, not factoring in money?

QUOTE (onedude @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
With Pittsburgh rumored interest in Danks earlier, could this be a smoke screen? Possibly Sox throwing it out there as there being more suitors out there wanting John Danks, maybe to get some other teams to possibly bite on some of that bait?

I like Danks more than most, but I doubt there is any team claumoring for his services. If he goes, the Sox either ate a lot of money, or took someone another team owed a lot of money and really didn't need or want anymore.

i think people really underestimate Danks' value in terms of just pitching. he's an innings eater for sure. we all know he's overpaid, but he's not the first (or last) pitcher to have been overpaid. i still think he has some REAL value whether he pitches for us or for another team. we know what we're going to get with Danks and maybe, just maybe, he can turn it around this season being 2-3 years removed from his arm issue. like Stoney was saying on the Score this morning, if he wins 12 games from the #4 spot that's a PRETTY good thing we have going for us. would we love to unload his contract? sure. do we still need to address LF? yes. but Danks being on the roster is going to kill us.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
i think people really underestimate Danks' value in terms of just pitching. he's an innings eater for sure. we all know he's overpaid, but he's not the first (or last) pitcher to have been overpaid. i still think he has some REAL value whether he pitches for us or for another team. we know what we're going to get with Danks and maybe, just maybe, he can turn it around this season being 2-3 years removed from his arm issue. like Stoney was saying on the Score this morning, if he wins 12 games from the #4 spot that's a PRETTY good thing we have going for us. would we love to unload his contract? sure. do we still need to address LF? yes. but Danks being on the roster is going to kill us.

He is overpaid, but one thing people often forget, eventually, just about every player is overpaid.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
I know Boston made him an offer. Curious to see how that develops.

Supposedly it's a multi-year offer. But if another team offers more money on a one year deal, he might want to do that to rebuild his stock.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)

Yay he's a starting pitcher that has a pulse! There are A LOT of pitchers who can throw 190 innings if there is no one better to replace them. He's done man, he's a soft tossing lefty without a great breaking pitch. And its a shame because I like Danks and he was on his way to have a good career, but some guys never recover from shoulder surgery and its pretty obvious he hasn't. If some other team wants to pay a decent amount of his contract then we should let them and move on.

Crawford wouldn't be the worst if LA will pony up $30 million along with him.

However, the guy's always hurt and when he does play, he's an alright player. I'd much rather have Kemp, but I have to imagine he'd cost a lot more.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
Yay he's a starting pitcher that has a pulse! There are A LOT of pitchers who can throw 190 innings if there is no one better to replace them. He's done man, he's a soft tossing lefty without a great breaking pitch. And its a shame because I like Danks and he was on his way to have a good career, but some guys never recover from shoulder surgery and its pretty obvious he hasn't. If some other team wants to pay a decent amount of his contract then we should let them and move on.

There were 47 guys who threw more innings than Danks last season. I wouldn't say that's a lot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
There were 47 guys who threw more innings than Danks last season. I wouldn't say that's a lot.

I said Could throw that many innings. Most teams replace a Danks level pitcher. He's barely a replacement level player and had pitched to a 4.7 ERA in his last 250 + innings (and the metrics say that he could easily be worse). I'm not convinced Chris Beck can't do that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Crawford wouldn't be the worst if LA will pony up $30 million along with him.

However, the guy's always hurt and when he does play, he's an alright player. I'd much rather have Kemp, but I have to imagine he'd cost a lot more.

I disagree, his game depends a lot on his athleticism and speed both of which are declining at this stage of his career, couple with that his injury history and the risk factor is too high given his contract.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)

I disagree. Last year was the first time in 3 years he pitched that many innings. Hw was gassed at the end but the Sox needed to push him to get the innings up. He will still be the up and down pitcher but this year the ups will be more frequent in the latter third of the season. He will be better than most 4 or 5 starters.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
I disagree. Last year was the first time in 3 years he pitched that many innings. Hw was gassed at the end but the Sox needed to push him to get the innings up. He will still be the up and down pitcher but this year the ups will be more frequent in the latter third of the season. He will be better than most 4 or 5 starters.

Which is why I also think the Sox may be smart to hold onto Danks until July. Let Rodon warm up to the role (ideally in AAA, but maybe the pen), and give Danks a shot to improve. He also has less money on his contract then. Just makes sense.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Which is why I also think the Sox may be smart to hold onto Danks until July. Let Rodon warm up to the role (ideally in AAA, but maybe the pen), and give Danks a shot to improve. He also has less money on his contract then. Just makes sense.

If this team is where they should be in July, it is going to be very difficult to sell Danks if has improved.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)

i too agree 100% with this.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
I disagree, his game depends a lot on his athleticism and speed both of which are declining at this stage of his career, couple with that his injury history and the risk factor is too high given his contract.

Maybe I'm off base here, but Crawford seems to me to be a guy who can transfer quite nicely from a speedster, to more of a power guy with adequate speed. Sort of a Jim Thome with a little less power, but better legs. Is it wrong to think that he could hit 25 - 30 home runs at the cell and provide better than average defense?

If he doesn't have to rely quite so much on his legs he might remain healthier. Then you have the Herm Schnieder effect too.