Next need, LF?

SoCalSox

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:25 AM)
pls let me explain my statement. the team looks sweet now.

but i am looking at the Chi media contest, the sox now made a great overall

and add that last piece, the media will surely keeping looking at the Sox. Fan

attendance, more ticket sales, more commercials, more press. that is where i

am going with this.

Who cares about the media contest. The Sox need to win games in order to boost attendance. This has been discussed (ad nauseum) in countless threads. Even if you wanted to look at a media competition based on what the teams do in the off season, acquiring Jay Bruce doesn't compare to signing Jon Lester.

If the Sox put together a winning team, more people will go to the games. It's that simple.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
Lester signing with the Cubs shouldn't affect what the Sox do, but I'd like to see Jay Bruce on the Sox. I think the Sox would have to give up too much for him, though. I don't see a scenario where the Sox wouldn't have to give up Montas, Danish, or Anderson to get him.

Bruce is signed for 3 more years, correct? If so, then I think I could part with Montas and Hawkins for Bruce definitely. To me, that just changes draft strategy and I would go college pitcher close to MLB at 8.

Lester signing with the Cubs shouldn't affect what the Sox do, but I'd like to see Jay Bruce on the Sox. I think the Sox would have to give up too much for him, though. I don't see a scenario where the Sox wouldn't have to give up Montas, Danish, or Anderson to get him.

Sox may have to unload Danks and Viciedo before they can take on any more payroll.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)

He averages 162 k's a year, and his ops last year was a career low .654. I don't see the attraction. I KNOW he's better than Viciedo.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
Bruce is signed for 3 more years, correct? If so, then I think I could part with Montas and Hawkins for Bruce definitely. To me, that just changes draft strategy and I would go college pitcher close to MLB at 8.

Under team control for three more years. His contract isn't bad, either. $12MM in 2015, $12.5MM in 2016, and a $13MM team option in 2017.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
Under team control for three more years. His contract isn't bad, either. $12MM in 2015, $12.5MM in 2016, and a $13MM team option in 2017.

Your draft strategy should and always be to take the best player available.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)

Not bad at all for a player at 28 with a career OPS of 790.

Trade Viciedo to the Mariners for Maurer

Or package Vicedo, Hawkins, Montas for Bruce.

Would have to get rid of Danks though I think in order to acquire Bruce.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Who cares about the media contest. The Sox need to win games in order to boost attendance. This has been discussed (ad nauseum) in countless threads. Even if you wanted to look at a media competition based on what the teams do in the off season, acquiring Jay Bruce doesn't compare to signing Jon Lester.

If the Sox put together a winning team, more people will go to the games. It's that simple.

the sox need to change the idea of the media darlings of the northside.

in order to do that, the sox need to build a foundation of continue success.

that will start of getting all the right pieces. if the sox go head to head with

the northsiders, sox will loose in the media. even if the sox makes the

playoff.

build the team with players and players with a personality. getting Bruce

will help in that area, help to win over the nah sayers, that the sox is

a team that will compete for yrs to come.

on the national level the sox have open the eyes of all, but the local side,

there the base is, where the money from fans are, the sox need to gather

all that in. positive publicity should be the goal from now on.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Not bad at all for a player at 28 with a career OPS of 790.

Trade Viciedo to the Mariners for Maurer

Or package Vicedo, Hawkins, Montas for Bruce.

Would have to get rid of Danks though I think in order to acquire Bruce.

cincy doesn't need DV.

I think the options come down to this:

FA:

Melky Cabrera

Colby Rasmus

Nori Aoki

Trade:

Crawford

Ethier

Victorino

To me, I'd go for Melky and Rasmus, as you don't have to give up any talent to get them. Rasmus can probably be had on a decent deal (3 years for $33M or so). If the Dodgers want to pay half of Crawford's salary to play for the Sox (plus Sox give up close to nothing), then that slides up the list.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Bruce- Hi K, HI salary, low OBP, not good defensively, terrible year last year. Pass.

I would say mid-salary, at least average defensively by the numbers, reputedly above average. Looks like a great buy-low candidate to me.

The kicker is that his price actually needs to be "buy low," and it looks like that may not be the case. If we buy him, I want the risk to be reflected in the price.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
I think the options come down to this:

FA:

Melky Cabrera

Colby Rasmus

Nori Aoki

Trade:

Crawford

Ethier

Victorino

To me, I'd go for Melky and Rasmus, as you don't have to give up any talent to get them. Rasmus can probably be had on a decent deal (3 years for $33M or so). If the Dodgers want to pay half of Crawford's salary to play for the Sox (plus Sox give up close to nothing), then that slides up the list.

That would be my order via free agency. Via trade, that is ugly. I think Bruce can be had too.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
I would say mid-salary, at least average defensively by the numbers, reputedly above average. Looks like a great buy-low candidate to me.

The kicker is that his price actually needs to be "buy low," and it looks like that may not be the case. If we buy him, I want the risk to be reflected in the price.

a very good point.

but all things being equal, that option may nit be there for the sox.

That Melky has scared the Blue Jays and Mariners away with his price makes me much less into him.

Also, we need to improve this defense. I want us to sign Parra today for like 1/$5m but then keep looking for a better option. Parra would then be worst-case fallback (that's at least an elite defender) and would be a high-end 4th OF if we find a better starter. With a guy like that on the bench, we could rely on late inning defensive replacements much more often, taking pressure off the bullpen, at least.

Then give Viciedo to Seattle for literally anything except like Anthrax or a mailbomb.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
That Melky has scared the Blue Jays and Mariners away with his price makes me much less into him.

Also, we need to improve this defense. I want us to sign Parra today for like 1/$5m but then keep looking for a better option. Parra would then be worst-case fallback (that's at least an elite defender) and would be a high-end 4th OF if we find a better starter. With a guy like that on the bench, we could rely on late inning defensive replacements much more often, taking pressure off the bullpen, at least.

Then give Viciedo to Seattle for literally anything except like Anthrax or a mailbomb.

Pretty sure Parra is on the the Brewers.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
That would be my order via free agency. Via trade, that is ugly. I think Bruce can be had too.

Bruce is going to be expensive prospect-wise. The other three - not so much. I think Victorino could be had for very little. Problem with him is that he only had 1 year left on his contract (at $13M), and then we're in the same position again next year. But hell, it lots like we're going for it, so why not.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Bruce is going to be expensive prospect-wise. The other three - not so much. I think Victorino could be had for very little. Problem with him is that he only had 1 year left on his contract (at $13M), and then we're in the same position again next year. But hell, it lots like we're going for it, so why not.

Shane V is 1 yr left as you said. the needs to get the players that their tenure will be

stagger. to have to get players to keep the roster fresh, look at Philly, Wash and other

teams who will try to move playerr, if the players agree to, to get new players.

it is the best to keep the flow of new players without letting the team get old.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)

Victorino would only make sense to clear Danks' salary.

Then you'd have to pray he's healthy AND sign Volquez/B.Anderson/Masterson.

Most of the other pitching options are going to be too expensive or even riskier, guys like Medlen, Beachy, Floyd, Josh Johnson, etc.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Dustin Ackley gets my vote.

I still can't believe the Mariners would, in succession:

1. Think that Viciedo, who was worse than Ackley last year in every phase of the game, is a better option than Ackley

2. Take on $1.5 million ish to swap Viciedo for Ackley

3. Actually go into next year with Viciedo taking up a roster spot

4. Actually look at Viciedo as a plausible starter.

I just can't figure it out. I wouldn't do that trade from the Mariners side and if the Ms ever would have considered saying yes then Ricky should have gotten it done already.

Both Hayes and Schouwen have mentioned Rasmus multiple times today. Hayes went on to tweet that he doesn't expect Rasmus to cost too much or command too many years.

I would guess the Sox have a $105 budget, if that's the case they would have about $9M to work with after they unloaded Viciedo for peanuts.