Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
You guys get my point at least though...another LH hitting outfielder basically also requires us to go out and find 2 other decent enough right-handed hitters to take some of those at-bats away from them, otherwise we're looking at a lineup easily destroyed by lefties both as starters and as relievers.

Definitely -- that's the value of a well-constructed bench, which is probably something that's been overlooked as a major weakness for this club that past few years.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
He says it unartfully but I think he has a point. If we bring in a LH hitting OF whose platoon splits are normal, we're setting ourselves up to be extremely vulnerable to LH pitching all year. LaRoche is terrible against lefties, Gillaspie is terrible against them, our main backup OF right now is a lefty, we don't seemingly have a reliable righty on the bench other than Sanchez, if Sanchez is on the bench that means Johnson, a lefty, is starting at 2b, and Eaton's a little worse (but not terrible) against lefties.

Maybe you can live with a few of those guys in a lineup against ordinary lefties, Eaton's fine, maybe Johnson will be ok, but if you run out a lineup with Gillaspie, LaRoche, and a LH hitting right fielder against an average lefty pitcher, this lineup will look like swiss cheese. They won't pitch to Abreu and that'll be about the only real worry they'd have.

You make a great point here, and it's something that has come into focus since Semien was dealt. This team desperately needs two more bats they can count on to hit LHP, and it's one reason I won't be upset if Viciedo sticks around. IIRC, Micah Johnson was absolutely terrible against LHP when in AA last year but did a little better against LHP in AAA.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
You make a great point here, and it's something that has come into focus since Semien was dealt. This team desperately needs two more bats they can count on to hit LHP, and it's one reason I won't be upset if Viciedo sticks around. IIRC, Micah Johnson was absolutely terrible against LHP when in AA last year but did a little better against LHP in AAA.

The problem with it being Viciedo who sticks around is that you can't count on him to hit either LHP or RHP as of now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
The problem with it being Viciedo who sticks around is that you can't count on him to hit either LHP or RHP as of now.

Against LHP, I'd trust the following players likely to be in the lineup: Eaton, Alexei, Abreu, Avi, Viciedo, Flowers

Would you guys go 4 years on Melky? It really seems like his best offer is 3 years right now... and honestly I think he is the best fit for this team now. He won't cost a load of prospects to acquire, and you can reasonably expect him to hit pretty well against lefties and righties alike. The more the offseason goes on, I really do hope we sign him. He's a proven hitter.

Depends on the salary, but yes, I'd go 4 years on Melky. He's only 30 right now.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Would you guys go 4 years on Melky? It really seems like his best offer is 3 years right now... and honestly I think he is the best fit for this team now. He won't cost a load of prospects to acquire, and you can reasonably expect him to hit pretty well against lefties and righties alike. The more the offseason goes on, I really do hope we sign him. He's a proven hitter.

He wants 5 years and teams seem to be balking at that a little. I would go 4 years for him or Chase Headley if their markets stall.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
He wants 5 years and teams seem to be balking at that a little. I would go 4 years for him or Chase Headley if their markets stall.

I like Headley and all, but we shouldn't be spending our assets on a 3B. Conor has a solid stick, one that is very under appreciated around here, and his defense improved ten fold last year. He's not winning any gold gloves anytime soon, but he is passable. Melky makes way too much sense. And all this talk about Lh/RH in his thread, well Melky is a switch hitter. I know the market for his services is a robust, but a four year $60M makes a lot of sense. He will probably end up getting more though.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
no, it does not give the sox any flexibility in the upcoming yrs. the sox will

be stuck like Dodgers, Philly and some other teams.

Let's think about this. Some of the bigger contracts we have is coming off the books in two year if not sooner for some of them. Danks has 2 years left with 14.250 million aav, Laroche has 12 this year and 13 in 16, and ramirez with 10 each season. If these guys all stay on the team and leave in at the end of the 2016 year that's 37+ million coming off. If danks and alexei are gone before their contracts are up then we save money sooner. Signing melky is not going to make the sox stuck or not give them financial flexibility.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
Let's think about this. Some of the bigger contracts we have is coming off the books in two year if not sooner for some of them. Danks has 2 years left with 14.250 million aav, Laroche has 12 this year and 13 in 16, and ramirez with 10 each season. If these guys all stay on the team and leave in at the end of the 2016 year that's 37+ million coming off. If danks and alexei are gone before their contracts are up then we save money sooner. Signing melky is not going to make the sox stuck or not give them financial flexibility.

pls don't take this the wrong way. but i don't give a crap of financial flexibility. i am talking

about movements of players.

ok you got the attrition going on in the dh and infield, but the outfield is going to be

together for how many yrs. Melky, Eaton, and Avi??

don't get me wrong, i like your question.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
I dont think I quite understand what Levine even means with this.

We've been talking for 2 years, the White Sox are the only ones interested in it now, the mariners aren't any more, which happens to be exactly what you'd expect if the guy struggled for 2 years and had his salary rise to $4 million+.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:38. PM)
We've been talking for 2 years, the White Sox are the only ones interested in it now, the mariners aren't any more, which happens to be exactly what you'd expect if the guy struggled for 2 years and had his salary rise to $4 million+.

"One more serious" doesn't exactly mean both aren't. Just that one is more open to it now than before.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)

Shouldn't he say one club less serious in that case?

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
When did Levine become such a bad reporter? I always remember him being okay when he was on ESPN. Seems like now that he is on the Score he just blows at doing his job or he is on pins and needles afraid of outing sources.

I heard him once ask Don Cooper why Coop hadn't changed Sales' delivery. Cooper was almost speechless.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Don't know if it's already been mentioned here, but if they do end up keeping Viciedo, Seth Smith might be a good option. After getting Kemp, Padres are reportedly trying to get Upton.

I have been advocating for him since last off season. Then he went and signed an extension -.-