Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
Makes it sound like they're stepping back for a bit

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m2 minutes ago

Hahn: "we are going to head back to Chicago, regroup & try to knock off a few more targets on our list. In our opinion, we're not done yet'

i like the move,, regroup and analyze.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 07:51 PM)
Maybe so, but the FO loves what Petricka brings to the table. Fits their ground ball MO and they think he has a special arm in terms of longevity in a season.

if he can bring in an important piece that is missing, then no trade. the sox

need the arms now. who knows in season '16

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Maybe so, but the FO loves what Petricka brings to the table. Fits their ground ball MO and they think he has a special arm in terms of longevity in a season.

Its the difference between trading someone at peak value (Petricka) and someone at their floor value (Webb). Webb has the stuff to succeed and I think he is going to be a lights out guy eventually, but his development is going to take a little longer, something they have the luxury to provide with Guerra, Putnam, and Robertson also in the pen. If you can get a solid return for Petricka, the Sox should take it. RP's are the most unpredictable position for year to year performance.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
I don't think either of them would bring back enough in a trade to warrant moving them. Keep Petricka as your swing man and Webb as the potential guy who can become a dynamic set up man. I don't really think we're in a position to be trading relief pitchers either way and other teams aren't going to be targeting ours to fix their pens so it's really a moot point.

R CL Robertson

R SU Petricka

L SU Duke

R MR Webb

L MR Jennings

Last two spots between Putnam, Guerra, Onelki Garcia, Surkhamp and whatever retreads we bring in.

Any of those guys durable enough to start/long relief? I also think Webb starts the year in the minors

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
Its the difference between trading someone at peak value (Petricka) and someone at their floor value (Webb). Webb has the stuff to succeed and I think he is going to be a lights out guy eventually, but his development is going to take a little longer, something they have the luxury to provide with Guerra, Putnam, and Robertson also in the pen. If you can get a solid return for Petricka, the Sox should take it. RP's are the most unpredictable position for year to year performance.

good one, and i agree.

however, lets not go into the season any weaker. lets address that for

the season 2016-2017. that value should increase with Petricska.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
I don't think either of them would bring back enough in a trade to warrant moving them. Keep Petricka as your swing man and Webb as the potential guy who can become a dynamic set up man. I don't really think we're in a position to be trading relief pitchers either way and other teams aren't going to be targeting ours to fix their pens so it's really a moot point.

R CL Robertson

R SU Petricka

L SU Duke

R MR Webb

L MR Jennings

Last two spots between Putnam, Guerra, Onelki Garcia, Surkhamp and whatever retreads we bring in.

Putnam is closer to our number 1 setup guy then a last bullpen spot.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
The White Sox and Mariners are engaged in "serious talks" about a deal involving outfielder/third baseman Dayan Viciedo, MLB.com's Scott Merkin reports on Twitter. Chicago is looking to receive a bullpen arm in return.

Thank you for this new information. :P

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
The White Sox and Mariners are engaged in “serious talks” about a deal involving outfielder/third baseman Dayan Viciedo, MLB.com’s Scott Merkin reports on Twitter. Chicago is looking to receive a bullpen arm in return.

hmmmm...who might that be?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Putnam was having shoulder issues last year, and didn't pitch for the last couple weeks with no explanation. Considering he came out of nowhere, I really wouldn't count on him in 2015.

FYI he's always had an arm that didn't warm up well, back in HS he would struggled to be ready every 4-5 days, he was more of a once a week guy. Honestly I'm surprised he's been able to convert to reliever this well thus far.

If PUtnam were on another team, people would love for the Sox to get him. (Just like they reactions to the Heaney deal, when the very people laughing at the Rays want to trade Montas for far less than Dee Gordon).

He pitched a total of 12.2 innings prior to last season. Last year, he had a 1.08 WHIP in 54.2 innings. Yes it was probably inflated, but still good. You need guys like that in your bullpen - waiver pick ups, non-top prospects.

I don't understand trading Viciedo for a relief pitcher. We should have that covered.

Plus, who exactly plays LF? There is absolutely nothing on the roster. Nothing. Maybe Gillaspie could move there, but I would think they would have given him some action there last September.

I'll say this about Viciedo's D - his coverage is poor, but he has a great arm.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
(Just like they reactions to the Heaney deal, when the very people laughing at the Rays want to trade Montas for far less than Dee Gordon).

I don't think anyone has suggested trading Frank Montas for a player who is inferior to Dee Gordon.

It would seem problematic to lose Viciedo without having a ready replacement. Ideally we would want someone who hits at least as well, is superior defensively, and someone who also could play the other outfield positions. If we are limited now in terms of budget, how about one of the following:

1. Aoki at $6M per year and Bonifacio at $3M; that's a net increase of about $4.5M. I know a lot of you don't like either guy, but

money now seems to be an issue. Both are passable, are versatile position-wise (both could actually play CF), bring more speed to our lineup, and remove the spectre of both Leury Garcia and Jordan Danks as alternatives.

2. Rasmus (who is asking for over $11M per), but at a salary of about $8M. That still leaves Danks as a backup (I know we have Shuck, but he was dreadful last year), but gives us a versatile defender with some power, tho with lots of K's.

3. ??? - you tell me: Crawford for Danks, Viciedo for Dominic Brown, Ichiro?? None of those are very pleasant.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
It would seem problematic to lose Viciedo without having a ready replacement. Ideally we would want someone who hits at least as well, is superior defensively, and someone who also could play the other outfield positions. If we are limited now in terms of budget, how about one of the following:

1. Aoki at $6M per year and Bonifacio at $3M; that's a net increase of about $4.5M. I know a lot of you don't like either guy, but

money now seems to be an issue. Both are passable, are versatile position-wise (both could actually play CF), bring more speed to our lineup, and remove the spectre of both Leury Garcia and Jordan Danks as alternatives.

2. Rasmus (who is asking for over $11M per), but at a salary of about $8M. That still leaves Danks as a backup (I know we have Shuck, but he was dreadful last year), but gives us a versatile defender with some power, tho with lots of K's.

3. ??? - you tell me: Crawford for Danks, Viciedo for Dominic Brown, Ichiro?? None of those are very pleasant.

Bonifacio can't hit - he had one decent hitting year out of 8 ML seasons. Terrible. I'd prefer Danks to him. Aoki isn't a good defender.

Rasmus is kind of a head case; no feel for his defense.

Ichiro can't hit.

Dom Brown is a worse defender than Vic. I was for that swap until the Sox signed their DH.

Looks like Carl Crawford stands tall against this bunch. Lillian's Ethier would look okay.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
Yeah, Webb isn't a guy I'd look to move. Frankly, Petricka is more along the lines of someone the Sox would move, someone they feel is overvalued by the market.

It is way too early to punt on Webb. He is a rookie who was learning on the job, and thrown into some roles he wasn't ready for. I want to see more of him for sure, either in a set up role, or as a AAA closer.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)

I agree with that, but I don't know what value he has out there. Petricka had low K totals. teams want and need Ks from their late innings guys. That's why I like using him as closer because I didn't see him as that useful coming in with runners on. His WHIP wasn't very good either.

I'm not sure the Sox are sold on him.

Yes, if someone values him highly, I'd trade him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
If PUtnam were on another team, people would love for the Sox to get him. (Just like they reactions to the Heaney deal, when the very people laughing at the Rays want to trade Montas for far less than Dee Gordon).

He pitched a total of 12.2 innings prior to last season. Last year, he had a 1.08 WHIP in 54.2 innings. Yes it was probably inflated, but still good. You need guys like that in your bullpen - waiver pick ups, non-top prospects.

I don't understand trading Viciedo for a relief pitcher. We should have that covered.

Plus, who exactly plays LF? There is absolutely nothing on the roster. Nothing. Maybe Gillaspie could move there, but I would think they would have given him some action there last September.

I'll say this about Viciedo's D - his coverage is poor, but he has a great arm.

I think he is a middle/long reliever. I fear last year was a bit of a fluke. I think he is decent, but not as good as what we saw last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
I think he is a middle/long reliever. I fear last year was a bit of a fluke. I think he is decent, but not as good as what we saw last year.

Who knows. These guys are inconsistent by nature.

Personally, I like Putnam more than Petricka.

I like Guerra a lot - more than most.

I thought I saw something in Webb, although his year overall wasn't good. I think he will be good.