Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
It is way too early to punt on Webb. He is a rookie who was learning on the job, and thrown into some roles he wasn't ready for. I want to see more of him for sure, either in a set up role, or as a AAA closer.

I wouldn't be moving either one. About the only two guys from our existing pen that I have a lot of faith in going forward, mainly cause I like both of their arms.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/201...assy-san-diego/

They should have just non-tendered him, but whatever. As long as he never wears a Sox uni again, whatever is ok.

As much as the serious discussion may be overblown, there is probably as much BS coming from the other side. They obviously have some interest or at least some team does. If not what does the leak accomplish?

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
Here what I don't get about this rumor. Are the Mariners seriously considering putting Nelson Cruz and Dayan Viciedo in the outfield together. It just seems like a potential disaster for them.

I believe they've stated publicly that they see Cruz as full-time DH. Could be wrong

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
Here what I don't get about this rumor. Are the Mariners seriously considering putting Nelson Cruz and Dayan Viciedo in the outfield together. It just seems like a potential disaster for them.

holy crap, that will be 1 huge nightmare.

as someone else mention, the d/h position will come into the

equations.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
Bonifacio can't hit - he had one decent hitting year out of 8 ML seasons. Terrible. I'd prefer Danks to him. Aoki isn't a good defender.

Rasmus is kind of a head case; no feel for his defense.

Ichiro can't hit.

Dom Brown is a worse defender than Vic. I was for that swap until the Sox signed their DH.

Looks like Carl Crawford stands tall against this bunch. Lillian's Ethier would look okay.

I was under the impression that Aoki was a very good defender. What am I missing?

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
I was under the impression that Aoki was a very good defender. What am I missing?

He's average to a notch below average.

Takes very unorthodox routes but usually gets the job done. Getting older and slowly losing his range, which was never Dyson/Cain-like in the first place.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
I believe they've stated publicly that they see Cruz as full-time DH. Could be wrong

Hart is gone, right? They still have Logan Morrison?

We heard the M's were targeting Melky for LF until he got too expensive. Saunders is gone, along with Kendrys Morales.

Jones was their primary CFer down the stretch, but that didn't go very well...too young and inexperienced.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
Tendering Viciedo a contract is going to be the one mistake Rick's made this offseason from my perspective.

Are people so done with Viciedo that they'd rather go with someone like Jordan Danks, JB Shuck, Trayce Thompson, or some other NRI type of player? I'm not happy with Viciedo either, but $4 million isn't a ton in today's game (teams will pay $7-7.5 million on the open market for 1 WAR, and it wouldn't be surprising if Viciedo ended up at 0.5 WAR), and if the difference between getting a guy who could make or break the season is $4 million this season, Reinsdorf would make the move. He paid $4 million for one month of Manny Ramirez, and that was like 5 years ago when the value of money was greater than it is in today's environment.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
Are people so done with Viciedo that they'd rather go with someone like Jordan Danks, JB Shuck, Trayce Thompson, or some other NRI type of player? I'm not happy with Viciedo either, but $4 million isn't a ton in today's game (teams will pay $7-7.5 million on the open market for 1 WAR, and it wouldn't be surprising if Viciedo ended up at 0.5 WAR), and if the difference between getting a guy who could make or break the season is $4 million this season, Reinsdorf would make the move. He paid $4 million for one month of Manny Ramirez, and that was like 5 years ago when the value of money was greater than it is in today's environment.

Thinking along the lines that we could use that 4 mill elsewhere. But you a make a fair point and that pains me to say since it's you.

Regardless of Viciedo's price, having him start in LF doesn't make sense when you've gone out and acquired LaRoche, Duke, Samardzija and Robertson, and he doesn't really have the skillset (playing multiple positions well) to justify keeping as a backup.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 5m5 minutes ago

If #WhiteSox trade Dayan Viciedo, they will end up looking for another RH outfielder to replace him. Otherwise, their OF would be too LH.

Who would that even be? Who's worthwhile righty who can play some defense?

edit: for real the best free agent option is Al Rios

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
Tendering Viciedo a contract is going to be the one mistake Rick's made this offseason from my perspective.

Mark Reynolds keeps getting jobs. There is not a lot of power out there. There's not a lot of right handed power. Delmon Young keeps getting jobs. You could say that you'd rather not be giving him $4.4 million, but to find a trade for him either in the offseason or during the season, if you had to eat some of the $$ there's not a lot there. It's relatively low risk for one of the 57 players who hit 20 home runs last year. It was only a few years ago when 90 plus players were doing that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 12:41 AM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 5m5 minutes ago

If #WhiteSox trade Dayan Viciedo, they will end up looking for another RH outfielder to replace him. Otherwise, their OF would be too LH.

The line about too LH makes no sense to me. You have Avi and Eaton out there, with Shuck probably the 4th outfielder. If the Cubs sign Gomes, I wonder if they'd make Ruggiano available?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)
The line about too LH makes no sense to me. You have Avi and Eaton out there, with Shuck probably the 4th outfielder. If the Cubs sign Gomes, I wonder if they'd make Ruggiano available?

Thats who I was going to suggest too. I was also thinking earlier, lets make another deal with Billy for Coco Crisp!

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)

I remember seeing on mlb network I think it was, a projected sox lineup for next year and it had danks as a starting ofer, so maybe he was thinking danks and eaton are starters

Edited by Melissa1334