Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Someone make sense of this for me. What exactly is a too LH OF ? Ther'e only 3 OF positions and unless there's a switch hitter in the bunch it'll either be 2 RH's or 2 LH's. ANd there iare still some guys who bat LH but throw RH.

I think he's counting Eaton and Danks, who projects to be the fourth outfielder.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
Someone make sense of this for me. What exactly is a too LH OF ? Ther'e only 3 OF positions and unless there's a switch hitter in the bunch it'll either be 2 RH's or 2 LH's. ANd there iare still some guys who bat LH but throw RH.

He says it unartfully but I think he has a point. If we bring in a LH hitting OF whose platoon splits are normal, we're setting ourselves up to be extremely vulnerable to LH pitching all year. LaRoche is terrible against lefties, Gillaspie is terrible against them, our main backup OF right now is a lefty, we don't seemingly have a reliable righty on the bench other than Sanchez, if Sanchez is on the bench that means Johnson, a lefty, is starting at 2b, and Eaton's a little worse (but not terrible) against lefties.

Maybe you can live with a few of those guys in a lineup against ordinary lefties, Eaton's fine, maybe Johnson will be ok, but if you run out a lineup with Gillaspie, LaRoche, and a LH hitting right fielder against an average lefty pitcher, this lineup will look like swiss cheese. They won't pitch to Abreu and that'll be about the only real worry they'd have.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 05:33 AM)
Talks stall. Ugh.

Just take him.

I know, I'd be an awful GM.

I'd give him away and drive him there myself. I cannot stand DV. He's everything I hate about a baseball player. Swing hard, get on very little, miss ball lots, field bad.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
He says it unartfully but I think he has a point. If we bring in a LH hitting OF whose platoon splits are normal, we're setting ourselves up to be extremely vulnerable to LH pitching all year. LaRoche is terrible against lefties, Gillaspie is terrible against them, our main backup OF right now is a lefty, we don't seemingly have a reliable righty on the bench other than Sanchez, if Sanchez is on the bench that means Johnson, a lefty, is starting at 2b, and Eaton's a little worse (but not terrible) against lefties.

Maybe you can live with a few of those guys in a lineup against ordinary lefties, Eaton's fine, maybe Johnson will be ok, but if you run out a lineup with Gillaspie, LaRoche, and a LH hitting right fielder against an average lefty pitcher, this lineup will look like swiss cheese. They won't pitch to Abreu and that'll be about the only real worry they'd have.

Good thing the Sox didn't trade for Heyward. He is Adam Dunn bad vs. lefties.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
Melky Cabrera resolves the issue of RH, but it appears doubtful we have the cash to get him.

Aoki and prying away Daniel Nava from Boston is another solution. Aoki does hit lefties well, Nava could spell LaRoche or Aoki, plus he is a switch hitter.

They have the cash to get him. Being good with paying him what he wants for as long as he wants it is probably a huge issue.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)

Most lefties are bad against lefties. The lefty platoon splits are significantly wider than righty platoon splits. I'm with Cali -- I don't understand why it matters if the OF is all left-handed, all that matters is that the lineup overall is balanced. Also, it's much easier to find platoon partners in the outfield corners than anywhere else.

I guess this is what the lineup would look like today:

L Eaton

R Ramirez

R Abreu

L LaRoche

R Garcia

L Gillaspie

R Viciedo

R Flowers

S Sanchez

But I'd rather it look like:

L Eaton

R Ramirez

L LaRoche

R Abreu

L New LF

R Garcia

L Gillaspie

R Flowers

S Sanchez

That, my friends, is a nightmare for bullpen matchups. Alternatively, Melky would allow you to maintain the same balance while allowing you to feel like you're "protecting" Abreu:

L Eaton

S Cabrera

R Abreu

L LaRoche

R Garcia

L Gillaspie

R Ramirez

S Sanchez

R Flowers

Edited by Eminor3rd

De Aza with improved focus due to actually winning would be a perfect fit in this team.

You look at his overall numbers and he looks fine, but the dude is so extremely streaky that it's hard to watch. He goes off for a month with a 1.000+ OPS and then follows it up with two months of sub-.600 OPS. Plus his defense isn't really good.

If the price is right, I don't mind signing Rasmus because he is a plus defender in the corner OF spots and can be an adequate backup for CF. He may not reach his offensive potential but I'm OK with that. He'll still be at least a little bit better hitter than Viciedo with much, much better defense.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
L Eaton

R Ramirez

L LaRoche

R Abreu

L New Left fielder

R Garcia

L Gillaspie

R Flowers

S Sanchez

Think about it against a LH starting pitcher though.

Here's ~OPS against lefties throughout that lineup from last year:

Insanely good

new left fielder - pretty weak

.992 - only 50 PAs though

.618 for sanchez against lefties in AAA.

You've got Abreu and potentially garcia who are legit threats against lefties, but they're bracketed by guys with ~600 OPS's against lefties. You've got at least 3 guys with sub-.620 OPS numbers against lefties in there, potentially more if you get a LH hitting left fielder.

Hypothetically let's use Ethier as an example - you stick him in there in that new left fielder slot and you have 4 guys in the lineup with OPS below .620 against lefties, 3 guys around .730, and 2 potential monsters. That lineup would be destroyed by left handed pitching and we don't have any strong righties on the bench to take those roles.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)

Insanely good

You've got Abreu and potentially garcia who are legit threats against lefties, but they're bracketed by guys with ~600 OPS's against lefties. You've got at least 3 guys with sub-.620 OPS numbers against lefties in there, potentially more if you get a LH hitting left fielder.

Hypothetically let's use Ethier as an example - you stick him in there in that new left fielder slot and you have 4 guys in the lineup with OPS below .620 against lefties, 3 guys around .730, and 2 potential monsters. That lineup would be destroyed by left handed pitching and we don't have any strong righties on the bench to take those roles.

Well, I think it would be reasonably easy to find corner platoon partners for "new LF" and Gillaspie. The corner OF could spell LaRoche too if he's in a slump and "new LF" is hitting okay or is at least valuable defensively.

Insanely good

Fortunately for the Sox, they have the two best lefty starters in the AL, so their lineup does not have to face them. Also, while you couldn't tell from watching either the current or previous manager, managers are actually allowed to re-arrange the lineup when facing a lefty starter to move those lefty bats farther down in the order. There is no state or Federal law that requires LaRoche to bat 3rd or 4th vs LHP.

Would you guys go 4 years on Melky? It really seems like his best offer is 3 years right now... and honestly I think he is the best fit for this team now. He won't cost a load of prospects to acquire, and you can reasonably expect him to hit pretty well against lefties and righties alike. The more the offseason goes on, I really do hope we sign him. He's a proven hitter.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Well, I think it would be reasonably easy to find corner platoon partners for "new LF" and Gillaspie. The corner OF could spell LaRoche too if he's in a slump and "new LF" is hitting okay or is at least valuable defensively.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
Fortunately for the Sox, they have the two best lefty starters in the AL, so their lineup does not have to face them. Also, while you couldn't tell from watching either the current or previous manager, managers are actually allowed to re-arrange the lineup when facing a lefty starter to move those lefty bats farther down in the order. There is no state or Federal law that requires LaRoche to bat 3rd or 4th vs LHP.

You guys get my point at least though...another LH hitting outfielder basically also requires us to go out and find 2 other decent enough right-handed hitters to take some of those at-bats away from them, otherwise we're looking at a lineup easily destroyed by lefties both as starters and as relievers.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
Would you guys go 4 years on Melky? It really seems like his best offer is 3 years right now... and honestly I think he is the best fit for this team now. He won't cost a load of prospects to acquire, and you can reasonably expect him to hit pretty well against lefties and righties alike. The more the offseason goes on, I really do hope we sign him. He's a proven hitter.

no, it does not give the sox any flexibility in the upcoming yrs. the sox will

be stuck like Dodgers, Philly and some other teams.