Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
Someone on Twitter (Maybe Merkin?) suggested the Sox should trade Viciedo for a comp draft pick, I would take that in a deal.

THat would be ideal. It would more than replace the second round pick we lost, though I bet the team doesn't make that move so it can save the money from the 2nd and 3rd round picks to use on the major league team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
If the Sox release him they will owe him right around 750K not the 4M he got in arbitration.

That's right. Hahn has until two weeks before Opening Day to move him and only be on the hook for 750K, instead of 4.4M. I believe that release of DV at that point in time is the backup plan to moving him.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
That's right. Hahn has until two weeks before Opening Day to move him and only be on the hook for 750K, instead of 4.4M. I believe that release of DV at that point in time is the backup plan to moving him.

So if they release him and another team signs him, what is the salary? The negotiated deal or some portion of the 4.4 million?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
So if they release him and another team signs him, what is the salary? The negotiated deal or some portion of the 4.4 million?

They haven't negotiated a deal yet, I'm guessing the penalty they're talking about relates to a guy who goes through the full arbitration process and is released rather than signs an actual extension. As of right now, the $4.4 million is an estimate produced by Baseball-Reference's calculator.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
Maybe I'm being ignorant here but why tender Viciedo if they no intent on keeping him. Now there is talk about settling for a comp pick? Just seems dumb to me, I suppose. I would have rather had Ichiro vs another year of Viciedo.

A comp pick is far better than nothing. IIRC, that pick will be before the pick the Sox gave up for Robertson.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
How would the Sox get that high of a comp pick for him?

There are 2 rounds of competitve balance picks. After the first round and after round 2. So depending who they traded with, they either in essence will replace the 2nd rounder they gave up for Robertson or the 3rd rounder the gave up for Melky. I still think there is a chance someone will give up a player for Viciedo's potential, but a pick wouldn't be bad.

If you get one after the second round, you basically traded Viciedo for Melky and move up in the draft maybe 10 picks or so , while adding about $10 million to your 2015 payroll.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
Maybe I'm being ignorant here but why tender Viciedo if they no intent on keeping him. Now there is talk about settling for a comp pick? Just seems dumb to me, I suppose. I would have rather had Ichiro vs another year of Viciedo.

At the time, if the Sox did not tender Viciedo, Danks or Shuck would be your starting LF. That is just too risky to even think about. Plus there's no guarantee that a player like Ichiro would want to come to the Sox.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
I was complaining about tendering Viciedo a contract a couple of days ago but with the ability to cut him and only take on 750k or whatever, there was really no point in not tendering him a contract.

It would really be surprising if it went that far. I am pretty sure they knew they could trade him. $4 million isn't all that much, and despite what a lot want to think, this guy is still pretty young and has a lot of power.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
It would really be surprising if it went that far. I am pretty sure they knew they could trade him. $4 million isn't all that much, and despite what a lot want to think, this guy is still pretty young and has a lot of power.

Would be a phenomenal slap in the face for the Mariners fans on twitter if we not only landed Melky but traded Viciedo that way, too. LOL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
They haven't negotiated a deal yet, I'm guessing the penalty they're talking about relates to a guy who goes through the full arbitration process and is released rather than signs an actual extension. As of right now, the $4.4 million is an estimate produced by Baseball-Reference's calculator.

Thanks, got it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Crasnick reporting Mariners are close to getting a hitter.

He didn't use quotes on "hitter", but maybe the Viciedo trade is close.

Hahn did say as soon as they were done with the presser, he was going down the hallway to work on the next thing. Maybe he meant that literally.

/crosses fingers.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)

Because no matter what the offseason plan was , Hahn couldn't be 100% sure he would be able to get the guys he wanted. Plus something for him is always better than nothing but if it ends up nothing then so be it. Move on and give him his 750K.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
All the Mariners fans on Twitter seem to think it's Dayan and aren't happy. Obviously means nothing, but it is good to see the chatter of this rumor is as loud on their side as it is ours.

You would think they would have grown to like him after all this time of being rumored to going to the M's.