Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Man, if the sabes didnt exist it would have been so easy to trade Tank for something good!

I bet 10 years ago you could have gotten a nice return for a guy like him.

10 years ago there was so much offense that people wouldn't care that much about a guy who hits 25 home runs but under .250 with a sub.750 OPS in his best year.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Man, if the sabes didnt exist it would have been so easy to trade Tank for something good!

I bet 10 years ago you could have gotten a nice return for a guy like him.

I know what you mean but 10 years ago 20 homers was nothing and that's all Dayan offers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
10 years ago there was so much offense that people wouldn't care that much about a guy who hits 25 home runs but under .250 with a sub.750 OPS in his best year.

True dat.

But they might have viewed him as the possible 35 HR potential guy.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
True dat.

But they might have viewed him as the possible 35 HR potential guy.

You still could view him as that but you're not going to pay $4 million+ for the privilege when he's probably going to be cut and claimable for much less than that at the end of ST.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
You still could view him as that but you're not going to pay $4 million+ for the privilege when he's probably going to be cut and claimable for much less than that at the end of ST.

They're not going to do that...it would be idiotic to guarantee his salary and then dump him.

They didn't do it with Beckham and DeAza, Hahn's not going to start now. If they were content to pay a back-up/platoon player that much last year, it's not going to change in 2015...

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Seeing what Rios and other 1 WAR players make in free agency, i just honestly cant believe some team isnt willing to take a chance on the remaining DV upside. He's not old.

For sure, someone has to be willing to give up an A ball arm for him. Maybe when the dust settles on the FA market in late Jan. He could go to an NL team like the Padres or Pirates imo.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:24 PM)
They're not going to do that...it would be idiotic to guarantee his salary and then dump him.

They didn't do it with Beckham and DeAza, Hahn's not going to start now. If they were content to pay a back-up/platoon player that much last year, it's not going to change in 2015...

thing is they are only on the hook for $750k (aka chicken scratch in today's revenue environment) if they cut him before spring.

worst case they eat the money, not a big deal.

I would just as soon keep Viciedo as a 4th OF/occasional DH than dump him off for nothing. It's not like our OF's have had a track record of staying healthy. If one of them goes down I'd rather have a guy with a little pop in his bat than sending out a Jordan Danks everyday.

I would just as soon keep Viciedo as a 4th OF/occasional DH than dump him off for nothing. It's not like our OF's have had a track record of staying healthy. If one of them goes down I'd rather have a guy with a little pop in his bat than sending out a Jordan Danks everyday.

If you do that then you have to keep a 5th OF on the roster because there isn't anybody else who can play CF. I mean I guess you can stick Melky there but that's not an ideal plan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)
You can make a bench work with:

Viciedo

Danks2

Saldino/Leury

and have a role for everyone. Viciedo could get a few hundred PAs as a platoon partner for LaRoche, pinch hitter, and backup corner OF.

I just don't know why you'd want to do that.

That's not much different than having Konerko limit our bench options last year. Take Tank's money, sign Bonifacio - who hits lefties exceptionally well- and can play CF, 2B and 3B, and you have the answer. That gives our bench maximum flexibility, and allows a platoon player for either Gillaspie or LaRoche when desired.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
That's not much different than having Konerko limit our bench options last year. Take Tank's money, sign Bonifacio - who hits lefties exceptionally well- and can play CF, 2B and 3B, and you have the answer. That gives our bench maximum flexibility, and allows a platoon player for either Gillaspie or LaRoche when desired.

It makes sense to me but I never would have offered Viciedo arbitration in the first place, so maybe they see more in him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
It makes sense to me but I never would have offered Viciedo arbitration in the first place, so maybe they see more in him?

God, what is it that they see? You are right, it would seem that the only reason he was tendered is that they either DO see something, or Hahn is certain he can deal him. It is downright puzzling, tho had they not gotten JR to approve the money for Melky, maybe their plan at that point did include Tank.

I have to think arbitration was offered due to the fact that Viciedo has generated interest in the last year, maybe interest that the Sox didnt act on at the time. Hahn isnt an idiot, i dont think he would be throwing money around blindly

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
After the free agent market settles, and Marlon Byrd gets traded, the Sox will find Viciedo a new home.

Without a doubt. There's always some team willing to take a chance on power potential. We won't get much, but someone will give us something for him. Hell, how many shots did Willy Mo Pena get?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
If you do that then you have to keep a 5th OF on the roster because there isn't anybody else who can play CF. I mean I guess you can stick Melky there but that's not an ideal plan.

If I remember correctly, wasn't tank originally a 3rd baseman.

If we are retaining his services and don't need him for the outfield. Is it worth using Spring Training to hone his 3B skills?

That way he could spot Gillaspie againt lefties and be a bench option to come in late.