Hahn on 670

BaconOnAStick

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
He actually wouldn't be a bad 4th OF. He is still good defensively, can run, and could come off the bench and still get a hit. But if you are playing him 140 games, i don't think that works anymore.

If he was brought in for that, I would love.

Sure, over Jordan Danks.

But then you're spending another $3-5 million on a role player.....when we've done that in the past with DeAza and Keppinger.

If we were THIS close to the playoff picture and within budget, sure.

Right now, as it stands, that money has to go to a starting/close to everyday player.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
Dude hit .284 last year

Which is like saying that DV hit 21 homers last year. It's the only way you can possibly make an argument that either player contributed anything on offense. And it is incomplete and misleading. He put up an 88 wRC+ and was a -5 defender by UZR for the first time in a while.

Ichiro is a legend, but at this stage in his career, I'd MUCH rather we try to sign Gerrardo Parra for similar money.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
Dude hit .284 last year

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
And would be a huge defensive improvement.

Someone made the point in the Ichiro thread that the .284 was an "empty" .284. Might be true, but his defense and speed would be better than Viciedo. I'm beginning to think I could see him as a starter.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Which is like saying that DV hit 21 homers last year. It's the only way you can possibly make an argument that either player contributed anything on offense. And it is incomplete and misleading. He put up an 88 wRC+ and was a -5 defender by UZR for the first time in a while.

Ichiro is a legend, but at this stage in his career, I'd MUCH rather we try to sign Gerrardo Parra for similar money.

I keep hearing a Gerrado Parra signing suggestions on here. Parra is in his 3rd year of arbitration and is still owned by the Brewers. Sure, we could trade for him, but Parra is NOT a free agent. What am I missing?

As for Ichiro, as others have said, if he is coming in to be the 4th outfielder and pinch hitter/runner, great. If it is to be the everyday LF, I think we can do much better. It is not the worst idea ever, but I think Rick has bigger plans for LF.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
I keep hearing a Gerrado Parra signing suggestions on here. Parra is in his 3rd year of arbitration and is still owned by the Brewers. Sure, we could trade for him, but Parra is NOT a free agent. What am I missing?

As for Ichiro, as others have said, if he is coming in to be the 4th outfielder and pinch hitter/runner, great. If it is to be the everyday LF, I think we can do much better. It is not the worst idea ever, but I think Rick has bigger plans for LF.

Oh, I thought Parra was non-tendered.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Someone made the point in the Ichiro thread that the .284 was an "empty" .284. Might be true, but his defense and speed would be better than Viciedo. I'm beginning to think I could see him as a starter.

His defense isn't anywhere near what it used to be and I don't think he's particularly fast either.

He's 41 guys. As a 4th outfielder, he'd be perfectly fine, but I don't think he'd be a 4th outfielder which I feel would inevitably make him a liability at this point. Frankly, on the off chance that Viciedo shows the patient, staying back on the ball approach that he shows for 2 weeks out of the year for 6 weeks instead, I'd rather go with him.

Also, I do not believe for a second that they are up against their actual money limit, but they are probably nearing it for their current budget. I don't see a Tanaka or anything like that on the horizon, so they probably don't want to spend much more than they currently have and want to save room for some smaller additions as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
His defense isn't anywhere near what it used to be and I don't think he's particularly fast either.

He's 41 guys. As a 4th outfielder, he'd be perfectly fine, but I don't think he'd be a 4th outfielder which I feel would inevitably make him a liability at this point. Frankly, on the off chance that Viciedo shows the patient, staying back on the ball approach that he shows for 2 weeks out of the year for 6 weeks instead, I'd rather go with him.

Also, I do not believe for a second that they are up against their actual money limit, but they are probably nearing it for their current budget. I don't see a Tanaka or anything like that on the horizon, so they probably don't want to spend much more than they currently have and want to save room for some smaller additions as well.

Which still leaves him as WAY better than Dayan