White Sox acquire Dan Jennings for Andre Rienzo

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Technically speaking the upside from the trade perspective would be with Marlins. If Rienzo can pan out in the NL into a 4th / 5th starter, probably more valuable than Jennings upside as a reliever. How likli that is is another story but I could see plenty of scenarios where Rienzo contributes a greater WAR long term than Jennings. Jennings happens to be a nice fit for now but comes with his own issues. We aren't talking about some stud reliever here, rather a solid back of the pen guy with really bad lefty splits.

But if you've got one guy Coop says "I can work with" and one guy Coop says "I can't work with"....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
I geuinely think you are the only White Sox fan who could find anything wrong with this deal at all.

Just pointing out factors.

If Jennings and his 1.5 WHIP was on this team, you guys would want to cut him.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
But if you've got one guy Coop says "I can work with" and one guy Coop says "I can't work with"....

I'm not saying its a bad trade, just saying, I could see the player we traded having more success elsewhere. Clearly you consider what Coop says but also isn't a lot of this talk about Coop disliking Rienzo pure speculation. Or has Coop came out somewhere and blasted him saying he'll never be anything.

I don't have a problem with this trade but I don't think this is really a deal to get super excited for and I can't say that Hahn dominated everyone on this deal. A year ago I'd have been pretty pissed if we traded Rienzo for a reliever like this. Rienzo did struggle this year so that impacts things a bit but again, I think long-term, he has a shot at sticking as a 4th/5th starter. We aren't the right fit for him so we are trading from an area of surplus and filling an area that isn't but I really can't fault the Marlins for trading a reliever for a guy who could into a cost controlled back of the rotation starter.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)

The WHIP is the exact reason I can't get overly ecstatic about this trade. I just don't know how you can have sustainable long term success based with that sort of WHIP.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
I also wouldn't be surprised if Rienzo had a decent career at some point. He has decent stuff, strong fastball and curve ball as well as room to grow on both, but that doesn't mean I have any problem with this deal.

Ok...I think you and are on the same wavelength here. I'm just saying, from the Marlins perspective, I totally see why they would make this deal. I also don't really see Jennings as some key cog to our pens success. I think the key to him being valuable is if Coop can truly fix him cause if he pitches the same as he did last year, to be frank, I think he'd piss off a lot of Soxtalk cause that WHIP, over a long-term timeframe, is going to result in quite a few runs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
I also wouldn't be surprised if Rienzo had a decent career at some point. He has decent stuff, strong fastball and curve ball as well as room to grow on both, but that doesn't mean I have any problem with this deal.

He is going to end up as something between a bad 5th starter, and a decent set up guy, at best.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
It wouldn't surprise me if Rienzo has a good major league career. He has a plus pitch.

I don't think the Sox liked him though.

Jennings walks too many. Bad WHIP. We'll see.

In all fairness, Rienzo walks more batters and has a higher WHIP than Jennings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)

I think that's exactly what this trade is.

Our problem child for their problem child.

Bud pardon me for not jumping for joy believing that we've made some big bullpen upgrade with a 1.5 WHIP pitcher. Coop has some fixing to do before that happens.

W

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
The WHIP is the exact reason I can't get overly ecstatic about this trade. I just don't know how you can have sustainable long term success based with that sort of WHIP.

Not all WHIP is created equal though. I see a guy who gets a lot of ground balls who was on a team who may not have had a ton of range or defensive prowess. The Sox infield defense could be better than it is, but I feel safe saying it's better than the Marlins.

Maybe the Marlins can tweak Rienzo, but I was definitely wrong on him. We're complaining about Jennings putting up a high WHIP in the majors, but Rienzo's was just as bad in AAA this past year, which does not bode well.

And his career FIP is 3.58. Didn't know WHIP was more important. Thanks Greensox. Goodness enjoy the ride guys Hahn just turned Rienz o into a guy that by the numbers probably would have been the Soxs 2nd best pen arm last year. Missing bats is a great equalizer.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Not all WHIP is created equal though. I see a guy who gets a lot of ground balls who was on a team who may not have had a ton of range or defensive prowess. The Sox infield defense could be better than it is, but I feel safe saying it's better than the Marlins.

Maybe the Marlins can tweak Rienzo, but I was definitely wrong on him. We're complaining about Jennings putting up a high WHIP in the majors, but Rienzo's was just as bad in AAA this past year, which does not bode well.

Based upon the below, not too sure about that. This was the Def per Fangraphs for each team by respective positions. I don't know enough about Marlins to say whether these stats make sense or not. Looking at the Sox it all makes sense although I really can't figure how 1B can be so negative for either team, presume that is just more some form of positional factor or something?

Marlins Team Infield D:

SS: +.4

2B: -.5

3B: 1.4

1B: -19

Total: -17.7

White Sox Team D:

SS: +7.3

2B: -4.4

3B: -2.4

1B: -18.3

Total: -17.8

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Based upon the below, not too sure about that. This was the Def per Fangraphs for each team by respective positions. I don't know enough about Marlins to say whether these stats make sense or not. Looking at the Sox it all makes sense although I really can't figure how 1B can be so negative for either team, presume that is just more some form of positional factor or something?

Marlins Team Infield D:

SS: +.4

2B: -.5

3B: 1.4

1B: -19

Total: -17.7

White Sox Team D:

SS: +7.3

2B: -4.4

3B: -2.4

1B: -18.3

Total: -17.8

Abreu had a terrible start, and then Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko for the rest.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)

Nobody's complaining about the trade.

No one has said this is a trade that the Sox should not have made.

While he does miss bats, he also walks players- not exactly what you want in the 7th and 8th (especially in situations where bats need to be missed).

this idea that he's better than any incumbent Sox pitcher is "Grass is always greener" on steroids.

the Sox have done well eyeballing other teams pens for guys with some control issues like this so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out extremely well.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)

He was unlucky with a high BABIP though (.339). Assuming that regresses to a more reasonable level this year then the hit rate should fall and the WHIP will reduce.

He's an above average pitcher. Gets a lot of ground balls from his fastball (52% GB/BIP vs MLB average of 36%) and his slider has an excellent whiff rate (~40% Whiff/Swing career and ~44% in '14 vs MLB average of ~32%). Should be a nice addition to the 'pen.

Coop screamed uncle with Rienzo. He sucks. Jennings may suck. I will take the may suck over the does suck every time. If there is an adjustment that makes him real good, great. If not, all i remember about Rienzo appearances are lots of runners and a lot of shots of Coop pissed off in the dugout. It wasn't happening for Andre with the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

Clearly a glaring mechanical issue that Coop saw with this one. I don't usually cry "Coop will fix him" but this seems like a guy that Cooper is pretty confident that he can improve and this dude is already a solid reliever. This could turn out pretty damn good for us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Allison Urycki ‏@AllisonUrycki

the great moment when your ex gets traded from the white sox to Miami! Thank you sweet baby jesus! 🙌👌#hegone #imfree

HAHAHAHA, Andre a bit of a stalker??