White Sox acquire Dan Jennings for Andre Rienzo

southsider2k5

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's...a fabulous trade.

Jennings has a little bit of track record - the ERA makes him look better than he has been - and he is under team control for forever. Reigns was clearly on the far outside of both our bullpen and rotation, and was a realistic possible DFA if we needed the space on the 40. We took on nearly no risk in this deal to get who is probably going to be a valuable piece.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Good for the bullpen, I still think we need a starter. Rienzo doesn't count though.

Other than throwing all of Jerry's money at a Scherzer type of guy, I wouldn't want to give a guaranteed contract to anyone. You have Sale-Shark-Q-Danks to start with, all of whom are basically cemented there. Banks, so long as he's here, has to be in the rotation. Then you have Noesi, who was solid all year and is a great value proposition if he can improve even just modestly from last year. Wouldn't want to release him or anything like that. Ideally, we at least give him a trial run of starts to see if he's for real. Then you have Rodon waiting in the wings for a spot too. We're not super deep, but adding a guaranteed contract player in there could make it where we have guys pitching only because we can't get rid of them (Danks, potential FA)

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
Other than throwing all of Jerry's money at a Scherzer type of guy, I wouldn't want to give a guaranteed contract to anyone. You have Sale-Shark-Q-Danks to start with, all of whom are basically cemented there. Banks, so long as he's here, has to be in the rotation. Then you have Noesi, who was solid all year and is a great value proposition if he can improve even just modestly from last year. Wouldn't want to release him or anything like that. Ideally, we at least give him a trial run of starts to see if he's for real. Then you have Rodon waiting in the wings for a spot too. We're not super deep, but adding a guaranteed contract player in there could make it where we have guys pitching only because we can't get rid of them (Danks, potential FA)

I think you're right if we assume that Danks cannot be moved. I guess I'm still hoping he can :)

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
I think you're right if we assume that Danks cannot be moved. I guess I'm still hoping he can :)

I'm kind of indifferent for now. We can roll with Danks for a while if we have to. He might even pitch well again someday, who knows

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Charlotte... waivers. Who cares.

After last year, having some warm bodies who could come up and HOLD THEIR OWn rather than give up 10 runs in an inning is an addition. #hotsportstakes

Enjoying the off-season so far. While last year was promising (most fun in a couple years), it still was a subpar season, Eaton, Sexy, JA and a couple pitchers only made it worthwhile...

So are we looking at making a run at this thing this year?

Is our full lineup ready to compete in the AL C? I think it's close, but also don't think it's there yet.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Mike Ferrin ‏@MikeFerrinSXM 31s32 seconds ago

Per @Marlins White Sox get LHP Dan Jennings (not GM Dan Jennings) for Andre Rienzo. Another solid pen add for White Sox

Now who is going to show me the hot spots to pick up chicks in Brazil? Oh yeah I ain't never going to Rio. Good trade

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
There is never anything wrong with a trade like this.

Exactly. Fine trade, we needed another lefty in the pen. Rienzo was nothing special. This pen is vastly improved especially since we can move guys down in their pen roles (Petricka, Putnam, Guerra).

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
Seems like a great trade.

I really hope we bring Carroll back to be the long man in the pen and I'll be a happy camper.

The Carroll thing still puzzles me a little. Radio silence on his twitter since the roster move.

Speaking of twitter, Jennings is quite the ahh....let's just say he's extremely religious.