White Sox acquire Dan Jennings for Andre Rienzo

southsider2k5

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
The Carroll thing still puzzles me a little. Radio silence on his twitter since the roster move.

Speaking of twitter, Jennings is quite the ahh....let's just say he's extremely religious.

RE: Carroll I'm guess he has an open spot here, but Sox are letting him see if there's anything better out there. Protip: there won't be, but can't hurt to look.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Hopefully Jennings. :)

Exactly, but what I am getting at is this, say Jennings doesn't improve vs. LH hitters, and he is warming up in the bullpen, and a righty is on the mound with a LH hitter coming next who really doesn't hit LH pitchers much at all, say Jayson Heyward. Is the manager a fool to bring him in knowing he is not as effective vs. LH hitters, or is it a good move because that is more than offset by the hitter's righty vs. lefty splits?

Obviously, it would be ideal to have a lefty who is good vs. LH hitters available, but many times it doesn't work that way.

Edited by Dick Allen

Three takeaways:

1. This means Rodon will probably start the year in the minors and come up in June. This makes me happy.

2. I wonder if they have picked this guy out before the meetings. Hahn already talked to Cooper about Jennings. I wonder if that conversation had before the meetings.

3. Is Kenny out of the loop on some things. Before the meeting started he said he expected Rodon to work in the bullpen then move to rotation next year. The moves done make me think Hahn felt otherwise.

I really don't know enough about Jennings to evaluate. Is he just insanely lucky with that WHIP. FIP isn't all that bad either, probably largely driven by the high strikeout rates, but really hard to like those BAA's. Curious what his actual stuff is like, etc, and how he projects going forward.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Exactly, but what I am getting at is this, say Jennings doesn't improve vs. LH hitters, and he is warming up in the bullpen, and a righty is on the mound with a LH hitter coming next who really doesn't hit LH pitchers much at all, say Jayson Heyward. Is the manager a fool to bring him in knowing he is not as effective vs. LH hitters, or is it a good move because that is more than offset by the hitter's righty vs. lefty splits?

Obviously, it would be ideal to have a lefty who is good vs. LH hitters available, but many times it doesn't work that way.

Situations like what you describe is where Robin, as the team manager, will come into play. I would try to build some confidence in Jennings by putting him up against lesser hitting left handed batters and see how he performs. Its something Robin will have to find out by trial and error.

I would go ahead and bring in Jennings to face Heyward and see how it turns out. Given Jennings backwards splits, at this point I'd guess Duke and Garcia or Surkamp would see most of the action against good hitting left handed batters.

To answer your question, I don't think the manager would be a fool to bring Jennings in.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
It wouldn't surprise me if Rienzo has a good major league career. He has a plus pitch.

I don't think the Sox liked him though.

Jennings walks too many. Bad WHIP. We'll see.

I geuinely think you are the only White Sox fan who could find anything wrong with this deal at all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
I geuinely think you are the only White Sox fan who could find anything wrong with this deal at all.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rienzo had a decent career at some point. He has decent stuff, strong fastball and curve ball as well as room to grow on both, but that doesn't mean I have any problem with this deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)

Technically speaking the upside from the trade perspective would be with Marlins. If Rienzo can pan out in the NL into a 4th / 5th starter, probably more valuable than Jennings upside as a reliever. How likli that is is another story but I could see plenty of scenarios where Rienzo contributes a greater WAR long term than Jennings. Jennings happens to be a nice fit for now but comes with his own issues. We aren't talking about some stud reliever here, rather a solid back of the pen guy with really bad lefty splits.