Anybody else having trouble supporting this team?

ron883

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
Why do you love Flowers.

Mainly because he's been a White Sox for the better part of a decade and he's by most accounts a decent guy. I want him to play well and I hope for the best for him in his personal life.

As opposed to Melky, who is not a long-time White Sox and for whom I do not wish happiness, etc. beyond what he earns on the baseball field.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
I personally don't condemn people for life in regards to PED use. I judge character far more by off the field issues such as beating their family, rape and other violence. Which is prevalent in today's professional sports.

Everyone has the right to support who they want. If you feel you don't like the team assembled don't support them at all. That will be the only way you can take a stand against GM's bringing players with a history to your team in the future.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
If he's getting tested more often due to his previous failed test, then it's likely he's more clean than a random player on the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
I cheer for both. Applauded Frank when he was with other teams, laughed when Garland gave up 2 home runs to him, cheered for him against any other team. Still like watching Buehrle pitch. Hated watching Konerko playing as a shell of his former self because of what the player had once been.

Definitely did not enjoy watching guys like ManRoid, Brett Myers put on our uniform.

Will figure out how to cheer for name on front, but doesn't mean I ignore the name on the back.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
And please don't lump Brett Myers in with the roiders, Myers was a f***in scumbag, that was one guy I truly never wanted on the Sox.

The above covers most of it for me. Myers is a different level, not comparable. Q and Flowers screwed up many years ago as minor leaguers, and I have no problem with them continuing to get a chance after they paid an appropriate price (which they did). I would have preferred someone not Melky if a similar player was available, but as one wasn't, I am willing to give him that same chance after he paid a price. And as fathom notes, the way testing is now, I think it is a lot harder to get away with it, and a lot fewer guys are doing it (though it is not none of course).

I won't be buying any Melky shirseys, and I won't be a big fan. But none of this is going to stop me from rooting for the Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
The above covers most of it for me. Myers is a different level, not comparable. Q and Flowers screwed up many years ago as minor leaguers, and I have no problem with them continuing to get a chance after they paid an appropriate price (which they did). I would have preferred someone not Melky if a similar player was available, but as one wasn't, I am willing to give him that same chance after he paid a price. And as fathom notes, the way testing is now, I think it is a lot harder to get away with it, and a lot fewer guys are doing it (though it is not none of course).

I won't be buying any Melky shirseys, and I won't be a big fan. But none of this is going to stop me from rooting for the Sox.

Past is past. He's taken his punishment. I think Melky and the 2015 White Sox need our total support. I believe the sox have the tools.

I'm glad some people feel the same way I do. I just can't morally bring myself to support this team. I have zero respect for roiders. Signing a third roider to this team? I don't want this to be thought of like the Bosox teams that were fueled by steroids. Maybe it will get better if this team is winning, but I just can't bring myself to cheer for Melky.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
I just can't bring myself to support this team fully. Sure, they will be good, but it is full of cheaters. Melky, Q, Flowers. Signing Melky was the final straw for me. I can't support a team full of roiders. I hate the Bosox championship teams with Manny and ortiz. Its going to be tough to support them because I can't stand cheaters in baseball, and I know a championship will be marked by an asterik if they DO win it. Anybody else feel that same way as me? I wish Melky was not signed. Leaves a poor taste in my mouth.

I agree with you in regards to Melky. I know that there have been other players on the team with PEDS but guys like Q took their punishment, but Melky make a fake website to save his ass and I dont like that. I really didn't want the team to sign him and I still don't like the move.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 07:07 AM)
I agree with you in regards to Melky. I know that there have been other players on the team with PEDS but guys like Q took their punishment, but Melky make a fake website to save his ass and I dont like that. I really didn't want the team to sign him and I still don't like the move.

and so did Melky. the rules were broken and he paid the piper. there is no degrees of

of breaking the rules, 1 infraction 1 punishment.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
And lying to investigators = 0 punishment.

Not zero punishment!

He was left off the Giants playoff roster once reinstated, and he was ruled ineligible to win the batting title.

So....... You done yet?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Not zero punishment!

He was left off the Giants playoff roster once reinstated, and he was ruled ineligible to win the batting title.

So....... You done yet?

And people have thought that "but the Giants would have wanted him back" is a defense of him. See how every one of these defenses turns back so easily?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
I'm glad some people feel the same way I do. I just can't morally bring myself to support this team. I have zero respect for roiders. Signing a third roider to this team? I don't want this to be thought of like the Bosox teams that were fueled by steroids. Maybe it will get better if this team is winning, but I just can't bring myself to cheer for Melky.

So don't? Lol

Every team from the last 20 years (including the 05 Sox!) was fueled by steroids, you just didn't know about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
And people have thought that "but the Giants would have wanted him back" is a defense of him. See how every one of these defenses turns back so easily?

What? No. The two things I mentioned were specific punishments for how he handled his suspension.

You've got no argument left.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
So don't? Lol

Every team from the last 20 years (including the 05 Sox!) was fueled by steroids, you just didn't know about it.

I couldn't agree more. If someone doesn't like Melky and therefore doesn't like the team anymore, go find another team to root for. But don't believe for a second that there aren't many more guys who were juicing who just didn't get caught.

I believe that Melky is most likely clean. He's not going to want to jeopardize his career.

Personally, I love having Melky on the team. He's a huge upgrade over Viciedo, and his 3 year $42 million deal is pretty good. Just think...Rios is getting $11 million from KC.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)

LOL. My advice to you would be to stop watching sports in general.

Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and countless others have admitted they used amphetamines during their careers.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8769398/...-hall-fame-vote

So do you have any respect for the accomplishments of Mantle, Mays, and Aaron? Afterall, Aaron is the "true home run king," right?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8769398/...-hall-fame-vote

So do you have any respect for the accomplishments of Mantle, Mays, and Aaron? Afterall, Aaron is the "true home run king," right?

amphetamines weren't illegal at the time. Every single player used amphetamines. There is a difference between the effects of amphetamines and steroids. One just allows you to keep focus and helps you to perform at your talent level more often, the other actually changes what your talent level is. While I think that steroids ruined alot of the game, this is not a good comparison.

the Yankees who paid Alex Rodriguez $252.87M sure don't have a problem signing roiders and getting to the playoffs all the time.

not sure why White Sox fans have a problem with supporting a team that signed a guy who got caught and served his time.

to me, it's old news and everyone deserves a second chance to redeem themselves.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
the Yankees who paid Alex Rodriguez $252.87M sure don't have a problem signing roiders and getting to the playoffs all the time.

not sure why White Sox fans have a problem with supporting a team that signed a guy who got caught and served his time.

to me, it's old news and everyone deserves a second chance to redeem themselves.

The first part where "I can do it because someone else did is a poor philosophy to live by"

The last part where he deserves a second chance is a good one. He did his time if he gets caught again, he'll get punished.

now that MLB has a good punishment policy for violators, they should let it take it's course.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)

So your point is in part based on the sentiment that "Alex Rodriguez's contract is a solid one"?

I think you're overstating a little bit here. I wouldn't go so far as the team being "fueled" by roiders... and I really do believe if the Sox were to win a World Series next year, not many people would point at the Melky signing and say "They're cheaters". It's in his past now. You will want to cheer for Melky in the #2 spot because he should be seeing a lot of good pitches to hit with Abreu right behind him... and by all accounts, the guy knows how to hit.

Another way to look at it is, had the Blue Jays won the World Series, would you be calling them cheaters and fueled by steroids? That's almost impossible to have happen. I know I wouldn't have.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
I just can't bring myself to support this team fully. Sure, they will be good, but it is full of cheaters. Melky, Q, Flowers. Signing Melky was the final straw for me. I can't support a team full of roiders. I hate the Bosox championship teams with Manny and ortiz. Its going to be tough to support them because I can't stand cheaters in baseball, and I know a championship will be marked by an asterik if they DO win it. Anybody else feel that same way as me? I wish Melky was not signed. Leaves a poor taste in my mouth.

I'm legitimately happy to not share in your dilemma at all.