Early predictions thread

southsider2k5

Right now I'll say around 80-84 wins. I still don't think Hahn is done and I still think he needs to add some depth to this team as well. Injuries will happen and the Sox have to be prepared to replace those guys with players who will play well in their absence. I think the SP will be fine and the bullpen really can't be any worse than it was last year but the line up still may be a little top heavy. Would like to see a few more moves before the season starts.

Also I think the goal should be to win the Central and not the WC route. I know the Central got two teams in this year and KC only had around 88 wins but I think the bar will go up this season and it'll more likely be 90 W's minimum for a WC birth.

2015 AL Central Final Standing Predictions

1. Cleveland Indians 92-70

2. Detroit Tigers 90-72

3. Chicago White Sox 84-78

4. Kansas City Royals 83-79

5. Minnesota Twins 75-87

Call me crazy, but I just don't think a team that has been awful on defensive the last 2 seasons is going to improve that much by adding a DH and a left fielder. And let's face it, anyone would have been better than Viciedo. This team also had a lot of problems getting to the closer last year (if you call Petricka a closer). That could very well continue. Great to have Robertson, but what's the point if you don't get to him. And again, call me crazy, but I think it's Tribe Time in the AL Central in 2015.

Sox give it a valiant effort and improve in overall record and slightly defensively and in the bullpen, but it's not enough to make the playoffs. Just don't see them improving that much after winning 73 games last year, even when throwing this much into the team. Hope i'm wrong, but I don't have a good feeling I will be.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:16 AM)
Something that should help is not giving 20 starts in 2015 to the trio of Johnson, Paulino and Rienzo. They combined for an 8.35 ERA in 2014. I'm willing to guess Rodon can do better than that if someone gets hurt.

Either KW or Hahn has been on record saying that Rodon would most likely start the year in the bullpen, just like Sale did his first 1.5 seasons. I don't think it's fair for us to assume that he's going to be that productive at the major league level right away, especially considering he just came from college, and got a late start in the minor league system because his signing took a while. I'd start him in AAA or even AA if needed, and see where he progresses from there. Hopefully Danks/Noesi are a decent 4th and 5th option, so you don't need to even worry about calling him up, and if you do its out of the pen. Having him pitch in the rotation next year probably means the Sox are out of it. Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:38 AM)
As currently constructed, I think 83-84. Which would mean 10 wins added each of the last 2 years, which is significant.

However, I think Hahn will add a C or 3B and maybe another SP before this is over, so I could see it being more like 85-87, depending on the addition.

I agree 83-85 wins as currently based. I do not think the AL Central will get a WC. Teams are pretty evenly matched other than Minn. so I think they will beat up on each other.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 9m9 minutes ago

When asked for specific win total looking for in '15, Rick Hahn said 90 if not beyond. But that's target every year to be playoff viable

He tipped his hand! He must be bringing in Scherzer!