Evan Longoria

I know everyone is enthralled with Longoria at the moment, but Rosenthal just tweeted that there is another team involved here. Is it crazy to think that RH could be trying to get Zobrist? He has shown a willingness to get in 3 team trades before and Zobrist would be better than the question mark we have manning the position today.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I know everyone is enthralled with Longoria at the moment, but Rosenthal just tweeted that there is another team involved here. Is it crazy to think that RH could be trying to get Zobrist? He has shown a willingness to get in 3 team trades before and Zobrist would be better than the question mark we have manning the position today.

Would not be at all surprised if Hahn is in the midst of this Rays/Padres deal.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Could not mean anything, but....

Chuck Garfien @ChuckGarfien · 15h 15 hours ago

Rick Hahn is still a busy guy. Just before our interview today he got a call about a player.

This rumor seems very far fetched. I do think they could add some payroll for the right player, but I am not sure this is the one because they specifically tried to keep their young talent in the system. The Sox are going to try and extend Shark and they anticipate the need for payroll.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)

God that is a great call and a move I would absolutely love. Plus Steamer would finally accept and love us!

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
He's almost 30.

To me, that doesn't mean as much of a return than if he was say, 25 or 26.

Also, as much speculation as there is about TB wanting a kings ransom because of his fair contract, is it not possible that TB is looking to get out from under that contract?

That contract to a large market team is great, but to a team like TB maybe the term is a little too much? Just food for thought, as it could potentially water down their return a little bit.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
Also, as much speculation as there is about TB wanting a kings ransom because of his fair contract, is it not possible that TB is looking to get out from under that contract?

That contract to a large market team is great, but to a team like TB maybe the term is a little too much? Just food for thought, as it could potentially water down their return a little bit.

Dick Vitale has right of refusal on all trades. No way he lets Longoria go.................................

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 03:03 AM)
Now that the Wil Myers deal is almost certain to happen, do you think the Rays trade Longo as well? He would fit perfectly on the Sox. I'd love to see a trade happen, but I would hate to see Rodon/Quintana/Anderson leave. What do you guys think?

Sox Sider: WHITE SOX TO GO AFTER EVAN LONGORIA?

I think we have the funds but not the young talent to give up. The Rays might want Rodon and tat is unacceptable. But, I would love a tradefor Longoria if possible

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)

Also keep in mind everyone said these same "king's ransom" type things about David Price, and the package they ultimately got for him was somewhat underwhelming. Different situations, obviously, but the point remains that sellers often get a lot less in trades like this than the public build up suggests.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Rodon can't be traded yet, even as a PTBNL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't he be traded after January 11th as a PTBNL? The way I understood the rule was that a player couldn't be traded for one year after their initial signing date (July 11) and PTBNLs must be named within 6 months. If they traded him on January 12th as a PTBNL he could be name on July 12th which is more than a year after his signing date. A trade in the middle of January is still pretty feasible as it's still a month from Spring Training.

Now in no way am I advocating trading Rodon as I don't think they should even explore the idea yet.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't he be traded after January 11th as a PTBNL? The way I understood the rule was that a player couldn't be traded for one year after their initial signing date (July 11) and PTBNLs must be named within 6 months. If they traded him on January 12th as a PTBNL he could be name on July 12th which is more than a year after his signing date. A trade in the middle of January is still pretty feasible as it's still a month from Spring Training.

Now in no way am I advocating trading Rodon as I don't think they should even explore the idea yet.

This is true.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Also keep in mind everyone said these same "king's ransom" type things about David Price, and the package they ultimately got for him was somewhat underwhelming. Different situations, obviously, but the point remains that sellers often get a lot less in trades like this than the public build up suggests.

Very different situations, and the Rays still got 3 pretty damn good players in Smyly, Franklin, and Adames, and he only had a year and a half of control left and the Rays wanted players who were closer to the majors along with a lottery ticket (but still highly regarded) sort of prospect. Considering how expensive he's about to get, that he's set for a very large extension or free agency, and the fickle nature of pitchers, I think the Rays did OK given that they really had little to no leverage in trade talks.

Longoria is under team control at a virtually bargain basement prices for the next 9 seasons. He'd fetch an absolute king's ransom. If I dealt him to the Cubs, for instance, I'd ask for probably 2 of Bryant, Russell, and Soler and 2 others. If I were getting Bryant, I may be able to work out where I got 3 others, but they'd all be very good prospects. His age is beginning to work against him but it's not crazy to think he'd fetch a ton at this point given his contract.

Whenever I see or read about Longoria, I think back to the day when he was ready to be drafted back in 2006. The Rockies had the number 2 pick and everyone thought they would take Longoria. Nope, they took a pitcher out of Stanford named Craig Reynolds who had a very short career. Tampa took Longoria at # 3. When asked about it years later, Rocky GM Dan O'Dowd admitted his error, saying he didn't want to upset then third base prospect Ian Stewart, taken 2-3 years earlier. Longoria was a college pal of Tulo, by the way.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
Whenever I see or read about Longoria, I think back to the day when he was ready to be drafted back in 2006. The Rockies had the number 2 pick and everyone thought they would take Longoria. Nope, they took a pitcher out of Stanford named Craig Reynolds who had a very short career. Tampa took Longoria at # 3. When asked about it years later, Rocky GM Dan O'Dowd admitted his error, saying he didn't want to upset then third base prospect Ian Stewart, taken 2-3 years earlier. Longoria was a college pal of Tulo, by the way.

My god that is dumb. As if you can't move a 3rd baseman elsewhere.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Trea Turner was just traded (as PTBNL), and he was taken 13th overall in last year's draft.....

The difference is that he signed on June 13 versus Rodon who signed on July 11. Trea Turner can't officially be traded until one year from his signing date, but one year from his signing falls into the 6 month window that they have after this trade is complete to name the PTBNL. After January 11, Rodon could be traded as a PTBNL also.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
The difference is that he signed on June 13 versus Rodon who signed on July 11. Trea Turner can't officially be traded until one year from his signing date, but one year from his signing falls into the 6 month window that they have after this trade is complete to name the PTBNL. After January 11, Rodon could be traded as a PTBNL also.

Bingo.